Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

twin engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 11:58 PM
maxillius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin engines

on twin engine planes do the props counter rotate or turn the same direction?
Old 11-07-2003, 05:57 AM
speed_freak1

Default RE: twin engines

I think they counter rotate.. but im not too sure....
Would make allot of sence if they did counter rotate , but then full size aircraft have the props counter rotating too.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:12 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've seen over the years, model airplanes with twin engines rotate in the same direction. That's because it's quite hard to find a model engine that will run opposite the standard direction (on purpose, that is!)

Full scale twin engined planes, some do, some don't.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:17 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most models turn the same way, some turn in the opposite. Full scale are the same way. Some light twins rotate so both props descending blade is to the center. This helps when only one is turning, then neither is critical. The P-38 spun them the other way so they could use more power on one enging to help turn tighter, made it a dangerous bird with one out.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:52 PM
rclooney

any reedvalve engione will run either way. it is just +ve and -ve pressure controling the valve.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:20 PM
goneflyn

I have seen a lot of two strokes start backwards and I couldn't tell any difference in the sound. I have even seen one run up to near full throttle before the pilot noticed. It was on a @ 1/8 scale p-38. He runs them both the same direction, but it is a handful when one sags. I didn't think it was possible on a four stroke, until mine started backwards one day, and didn't do any damage--except to my blood pressure :-). I know ignition engines have to be specially setup to run in the opposite direction, but not sure about glow engines.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:27 PM
smokingcrater

Full scale are the same way. Some light twins rotate so both props descending blade is to the center. This helps when only one is turning, then neither is critical. The P-38 spun them the other way so they could use more power on one enging to help turn tighter, made it a dangerous bird with one out.
I know there is a reason my mind isn't quite grasping right now, but why would the direction of travel make a difference? I would think the only difference would be counter rotating vs same direction...
Old 11-09-2003, 11:21 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out RCU's "Twin Engine Forum" to chat with the experts on this subject.