Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Building tips/plans of flightboxes

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Building tips/plans of flightboxes

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 12:23 PM
lekkaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building tips/plans of flightboxes

Hi,

I'm building a new flightbox for my planes. It will be the first flightbox build by me, so I need some help.
Please give me as much as tips and hints about building a flightbox. I don't want to get in the situation: "if I builded it like that, it would be much better".
Maybe you guys know some websites about building flightboxes? Some plans would be great.

Thanks in advance!,

greetings
Old 03-10-2003, 12:40 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

My buddy built one, it is a flight-line tote / starter box. One side if for the fuel jug. the other side houses the batter, and power panel. It also has a cradle for the starter. the fuel pump is screwed to it as well. And there's a handle, centetred, to balance it all out.

Plan a few slots for screw drivers, or at least the typical tools needed at teh flight line. Also install a charging jack, so you don't have to remove the battery every time it needs a charge.

And the best bit of advice, paint it with Lustercoat, so it is fuel proof!!

For the feild box, we just use a regular tool box. Most seem to use one. Cheaper, and more room than a dedicated 'feild box'.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:47 PM
crasher1
My Feedback: (31)

This is what I did......I bought a box finished it , outgrew it very quickly......went to Homedepot, found an all rubber box with wheels , two trays, and locks from the outside. Cut out a place for the power panel, and fuel pump, fuel in on the out side. Battery is in the bottom of the box, everything is concealed and easy to haul around, no lugging it around.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Flyboy Dickie

Flight boxes are always a project in transition, and the grass is always greener next door. Every time that you see someone else's box you find something new. I started with a basic Hobbico box, and it was ok for a while, but I liked the boxes with a separate flight line box, so I cut the front off (power panel & battery) and it now clips on or comes off if the plane stalls on the field. Now I want more draws, so I may add a lower section with 2 more draws- or start again. If you are going to make your own, look through a lot of magazines and add as many ideas as you feel work for you. Then again, you can't go wrong with a couple of milk crates!
Old 03-10-2003, 08:02 PM
ltw826

I built my first two boxes. Worked great but still lacked something. Seems I kept adding something and there was no place to put it.

I was given a flight box by a relative, They purchased the fight box at www.sidewalkflyers.com. Great box and not to expensive. I modified the secondary battery box, which is removable, to house my quick charger and my power panel together.

Check it out.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:53 PM
pnugene

Hi all,

I've seen some really nice custom-made boxes for sale on Ebay, some of which were accompanied by detailed photos. I picked up some pretty good ideas by studying the efforts of those guys. Take a look.
Regards,
Pnugene.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:56 PM
lekkaut

ok you guys gave me some new idea's. I'll check out e-bay and magazines next time I go to my club.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2003, 12:01 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built a pretty cool flightbox with a garden cart you can get at home Depot or K-Mart.

Here's the link to an article I wrote:
http://jcasey02.home.gate.net/flightbox.html

Old 03-12-2003, 12:30 PM
lekkaut

Hi Jim, I visited your site last week, when I was searching Google.Com.
A pretty cool flightbox indeed! But it isn't the right choice for me because at my club, we allready have carts.
So I don't need a flightbox with wheels.

I'm in doubt of which kind of wood i should use. MDF or triplex? Or something else?
Old 03-12-2003, 12:34 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Regular ply is what we used. Home despit, 1/4" ply.. 2' x 4' sheet.. a few $$ Screws and 'L' brackets..