Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What was your first plane you built and how long ago?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What was your first plane you built and how long ago?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 12:48 PM
lionheart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What was your first plane you built and how long ago?

I wish I could see some of these old planes from the 30's, and 40's! My first airplane kit was a Testor's B-17 in 1966. Never got painted, blown to bits in a pretend raid with firecrackers. Lost fighter cover, I imagine..... Had a control line plane later, Spitfire I think.... Spiked it in the school parking lot, about a bazillion pieces, total loss[&o]. I have recently gotten into RC. Still deciding which way to go on a trainer. Got my AMA, though. Looking forward to talking with local club members at the Mt. Comfort Airshow this weekend!
Old 07-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Rocketeer10

My first model plane was a stick built and rubberband powered Spad XIII. I think it was a Sterling Models kit, similar to Gullows kits of the time! Eddie Rickenbacker on the box art! This was in the early 1968 as it was a present for my 11th birthday. I also built a Ringmaster Ukie that year but my first RC model (1970 or '71) was an Andrews H-Ray, with an MRC Digital Proportional F-710 radio with linear output servos and an Enya .29 engine. I still have the engine (is here on my desk) and the radio system complete with the servos and receiver.... alas, it does not work!!! But looks brand new.

GY
Old 07-28-2004, 01:10 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from countless plastic kits beginning from age 5, my first flying planes, at age 10, were those wonderful Cox .049s; PT-19, Grasshopper, Stuka, and my favorite, the T-28. Every bit of yard and chore money went to pint cans of Cox fuel, the occasional 1.5 volt battery, and Cox glow heads. I had three glorious summers with these plastic ukies; two neighborhood pals and I spent every available day in the nearby school yard. The last summer, we did a few wood control-liners; Goldberg Lil Satan, Ringmaster, etc. (That one get you all dewy-eyed, BB???)

First R/C was a tired old Goldberg Eagle. This was in 1986, and I was looking to get into something less stressful than competitive shooting. I built a Aero-Star 40 and Sky Tiger shortly after, and have been non-stop since.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:00 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

1st control line- Veco "Big Iron" with a McCoy .35 Red Head.
1st R/C airplane- Carl Goldberg "Falcon 56" with an Enya .19 and a E.K. Logitrol radio.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:34 AM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First RC airplane....................RCM .60 trainer with Webra .61 Blackhead.................Kraft Radio, I forget which one but it had KPS-11 rack type servos. 1972
Old 07-29-2004, 11:22 AM
milkman
My Feedback: (1)

Just like scottrc my first r/c plane was an ace alpha but i used the .049 for a while then went to a .09 cox. by the time i realy finished it off i think i had more glue in it than wood and foam. I had that great little plane for 3 summers. Now a buddy has one and he wont give it to me hahaha.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:50 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, like an early post said which first one?

My first plastic model was a Hawk GB R-1, around 1961 or 2 still have two new testors versions sitting on the shelf.

My first finished wood model was a jemco HLG painted in Luftwaffe markings in the mid '60s.

My first finished stick and tissue was a Guillows Fokker Dr-I, I risked one semi powered flight that smashed into the driveway. That model, with the gear fixed still hangs in Dad's basement.

Our first RC model, Dad built and modified a Midwest Lil T into a two channel glider, with a power pod.

My first RC model was a Sterling Gazariator, their answer to the Sr Falcon, in 1987.

Been really activly flying lots of stuff since 1995.