Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

CNN blurb

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 12:00 AM
Herb-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CNN blurb

I thought some might find this interesting. There is a very brief mention of R/C airplanes possibly being used as terrorist weapons.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/06/19/flo...ror/index.html

I doubt it really means anything, but it is interesting.

Herb
Old 06-20-2002, 12:21 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CNN blurb

They are banning any type of aerial activity during the G8 summit here in Calgary, including kites and model rockets. Good thing that we have one flying site that is just out of the "no-fly zone"

Although frustrating, I can understand their reasoning. It would not take a feat of genius to use a model plane to do a lot of damage, they are quiet, fast and very mobile.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:38 PM
bash-ace-RCU
My Feedback: (16)

Default R/C Terrorists

I think all of us R/C fliers need to keep an eye out for any suspicious individuals seeking R/C flight training with the interest to go straight to giant scale, especially individuals asking questions about how much a given plane can carry. How much radioactive or biological media do you think a 35 or 40 percent aircraft can carry? Imagine that same aircraft being flown upwind from a heavily populated area, flown about 4,000 feet or more and blown up. I know this sounds extreme, but it is very possible with minimal money spent, and considering how desperate these individuals are to do americans harm, anything is possible. Know who flies at your field and why.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:21 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CNN blurb

Originally posted by robert
People out there acctually think that they are going to use R/C aircraft to spread radioactive media!!!
Why would they do that? Think about it. They could put it in the boot of a car, where guess what, it can carry more, drive somewhere, and do what they like with it. Just because the government have no idea of whats going on, and make pathetic attempts to make it look like they are doing something, does not mean that the world is going to be taken over with nuclear armed 40% Extra 330s or the like. Did you not find something weird whenever they release this 'nuclear mini bomb' informtion days after they were found to know about the attacks before they happened?
Believe me, you have nothing to worry about, why would they use R/C aircraft, when they have quite clearly, and sadly, shown how high they can go.

Robert

For something like the G8, you would get anywhere near the facility with a car to cause damage. However armed with a long range model plane, some telemetry etc you could launch a direct attack on the building and before anyone knew what was happening it would be too late.

Why do you think they are starting to use drones more in the military
Old 06-24-2002, 05:11 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Default CNN blurb

Read Dave Browns article about this issue in this months AMA magazine
Old 06-25-2002, 12:55 PM
lnjfarms

Default CNN blurb

I read Mr. Brown's article and he is so full of it I needed hip boot when I finished it.
First of all the AMA is so arrogant they can no longer even come close to relating to the
average modeler. The AMA's view is that they invented modeling and no one can possibly
enjoy or partake in the RC hobby with out their guidance.
Nobody in their right mind takes Mr.Brown's article serious including terrorists. Ask yourself
why a terrorist would fool with model aircraft when ready made military arms are available to do the
job in half a dozen countries. If so inclined you can buy anything from an SS18 missile on down to
hand held Soviet Rpg guided missiles which were available with nerve gas warheads.
Don't think so go to this link http://www.cnn.com/US/9809/25/missile.seizure/

This guy bought a fully operational scud SS series B. It has a payload of over 2000 lbs. Why mess with
models that would have at most a payload of 40 lbs.

The AMA for years has given out false information on the RC frequencies and their use and tried to make
modelers believe they have the same authority as the FCC. Of course they do not and no matter what they
may have published , any transmitter under 100millawatts ERP may be used on any frequency.

The AMA has exerted dictatorial control over flying fields and clubs by forcing them to exclude any non AMA
members with the threat of insurance coverage.

Now in his infinite wisdom the president of the AMA is inviting the government to control our hobby via the FAA.
Ask yourself what has the government ever put its hand to that has turned out for the better. Of course all AMA members will be paying higher dues for the privileges of being government regulated .
Old 06-25-2002, 03:21 PM
bash-ace-RCU
My Feedback: (16)

Default Scud

I wonder how hard it would be to sneak a scud launcher into the country and launch a sneak attack on a target without sticking out like a major sore thumb. Model airplanes are everywhere and would go for the most part unnoticed up until the point where they would be employed, then it is pretty much too late. Who needs a bomb to scatter radioactive dust or anthrax spores, when a cheap model airplane can do the job alot better than a device that risks being detected. I really don't see models being used to bring down airliners, but I can realistically see them used as carriers for harmfull powders or chemical agents. For those who can't see the possibilities, how many people do you think two pounds of anthrax spores released in the air above a populated area, say from a local park in the middle of a city effect? A lot of .60 size planes can carry that without any problem. A "dirty bomb" just uses an explosive to scatter the radioactive waste into the atmosphere, with a model plane the explosive is not needed. I have a Mig-27 target drone that has a regular flying weight of about 13 lbs., but it is rated to fly at up to 25 lbs, that is a 12 lb payload by my math. It's a real threat people, I hope it never happens.
Old 06-25-2002, 04:07 PM
Unstable

Default CNN blurb

I can think up on the fly easier and cheaper ways of spreading "waste" over a large area none of which involve RC aircraft of any kind. (none I will mention here to avoid any trouble with admins/feds/dimwits...err I mean terrorists)

I personaly dont think that they would use RC aircraft to try something... but you never know
they were stupid enough to run 3 planes into 3 building who knows what is running through there twisted minds.

(of course the way this hobby is they may start off learning to fly one to cause trouble but get hooked so much that they couldnt bring themselves to wreck a plane like that )