Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Snoopy Flys again (Dog House) Video

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Snoopy Flys again (Dog House) Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 09:37 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snoopy Flys again (Dog House) Video

OK Ray I will bow to you and say you are great... How that flew and stayed flying is amazing... I wish to praise you and need to share it with everybody... Snoopy and his Dog House flew again today... It was a bit on the hairy side at times from the looks of the video, but you pulled it off. Beware I will start on the RED BARON DR-1 Fokker Tri-wing soon and we will fly!!! Here is the video

[link=http://www.raymondstacy.com/snoopy.wmv]www.raymondstacy.com/snoopy.wmv[/link]
Old 04-25-2004, 12:35 PM
BULL-RCU

Default RE: Snoopy Flys again (Dog House) Video

Link added
Old 04-25-2004, 01:42 PM
scubyfan

Nice! What are the specs?
Old 04-25-2004, 02:13 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that the MAN Doghouse? I have the plans for that one and it looks to be about the same size. That freaking roll right after takeoff makes me want to move it further down my "to-do" list! LOL

Great job! I love it.

Don
Old 04-25-2004, 02:35 PM
BULL-RCU

I had nothing to do with the building or flying. A couple guys at my club built it from a real old set of plans. I will ask him what the plans are. They built it last yr and didn't have any success Snoopy blew off and there were a few other problems... So they changed a few things. This time it flew, but it was a real handful. I talk to Ray the guy who flew it and he said he had to put some more expo in the radio to soften the sticks and it should be a little easier. He said it flys very top heavy... When the roof came off it was due to a bad glue joint on the front. He will do some more tweaking and get it back up in the air... He said it should fly fine once he does a few more changes. We plan on flying a DR-1 Fokker and the Dog House at our Clubs fly-in in June. If I can get my act together and get mine finished... Pressure is on me now cause we know the Dog will fly!
Old 04-25-2004, 02:45 PM
hattend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, I have a feeling it is the Model Airplane News planset.

When you talk to him, ask him what modifications he did to it... It might motivate others to start theirs...LOL!

Don
Old 04-25-2004, 02:46 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's awesome!! And having that old Bloody Red Baron tune was too cool!

I wonder, do the young'uns today even know about the comic strip and the phase Snoopy went through that was the impetus for that song?
Old 04-25-2004, 04:31 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Snoopy eats some strong currys hey, blew the roof right off, that first bank probably didn't help his tummy
Old 04-25-2004, 05:10 PM
stomper

Awesome!
Old 04-25-2004, 05:47 PM
Tetley

Thats just crazy!!! i loved it!, my praise to the big man on the sticks I can't belive that thing flew, and then when the roof went you landed it! brilliant 'you da man' !.

Jim.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:45 PM
jboy381-RCU

great video!!!

john
Old 04-25-2004, 07:09 PM
rstacy
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks L. Bull for all of the compliments.

The doghouse is built from the MAN plans. Due to the material used on the leading edge and it ribs, I think it came out heavy. I cant remember the weight but it feels heavy. On the other hand it is very strong and has survived a straight in crash. The wing survived. The sides and roof did not.
If I were to do it again I would probably use one of the foam cores used for the flying lawn mower. It is powered by on OS 61 and has plenty of climb out power.
When we built it last year, I decided to try elevons instead of a straight elevator. This might have worked if I had also enlarged the surfaces. When we took off, a major problem occurred. On the roll out, snoopy fell over to the side. Essentially giving a huge right rudder input. The doghouse climbed out and banked right. I did not have enough control to straighten it up and it spun in. (I have this video if anyone wants to see it) I have since talked to another pilot that did elevons. He did not like it and removed them. After getting mine to fly, I agree. They are not needed but might be a "nice to have"
During the rebuild we went to a straight elevator. I also enlarged all surfaces by 50%. If I had stuck to the plans, the original size surfaces would have worked fine. As you can see from the video, it is roll and pitch sensitive. Probably due to my enlarged surfaces. For the next flight I will add 50% expo which will settle it down. I also added support wires in the front and rear for house support.
I was pretty certain that the first turn would be it's last! Thanks to those sensitive rudders it straightened up and climbed out nice. It flew like it was top heavy (which it obviously it is) but the rudders were quick to react. I was starting to enjoy it when later in the flight the roof let go due to a poor glue joints. I have since fixed this and am anxious to take to the air again.
I talked to Art Johnson from RCM. He tells me that a 90 size 4 stroke will work even better. Maybe for the next rebuild.
I first saw this in the early seventies and have wanted one ever since. It only took 35 years!
I don't think kids today are familiar with Snoopy and the Red Baron story.
L. Bull and I plan on telling them about it!
Old 04-25-2004, 07:20 PM
rstacy

Here are two pictures of it.
Before and after
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14087.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	126246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77575.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	126247  
Old 04-25-2004, 07:47 PM
Nuker

That was well done. Glad it landed ok. I think I'll head over to the MAN website ....

Bob
Old 04-25-2004, 08:12 PM
BULL-RCU

Ray

Thanks for the details on the build and imput into the flight... I was lucky enough to get to watch you through the build and transition... Looking forward to the Fun Fly when we get both SNOOPY & The Red Baron in the air at the same time... Ray You DA MAN!!!

So What do you all think? Could you have saved Snoopy on that first hard right roll or when the roof came off... I think I might have been able to save him , but for sure I would have filled at least one leg...
Old 04-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Mike in DC

The guys in the air show crew at DC/RC have one as well, and they do fly it with a Red Baron-type plane in the air. If you think the takeoff in the video was hairy, you should have seen the one at DC/RC a couple of weeks ago! I've never flown it, but it looks to me like it flies exactly like a very heavy pizza box flyer, which is pretty much what it is without the decoration.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:33 AM
rstacy

We have re-attached the roof and added additional gussets.
We may get to try it again this weekend.
I noticed that the video is misleading. It did a lot more rocking than the video shows!
Hopefully the expo helped out.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:29 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Too cool!!! Good job guys!
Old 06-10-2004, 09:21 PM
BULL-RCU

Great Day today...

The Fokker Dr-1 had it's maiden flight. Snoopy look out we're in the air and on the patrol for you. 2 flights 2 landings and no nose overs. Yea!!!!! Thank you AL Bro. my bud who built the Dr-1 totally for me and it was set up perfect! Well it did take 3 clicks of down and 2 clicks of left aileron... Come on AL next time get it right!!! LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80512.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	141904  
Old 06-27-2004, 11:02 PM
BULL-RCU

Just an update on The dog house. I know Ray tied snoopy down so he doesn't rotate and did a few other changes... The dog house flys better now... Though after flying my DR-1 I think Snoopy will have his hands full and is no match for the Red Baron!
Old 06-28-2004, 05:36 AM
stomper

Cool
Bring on that dog fight
Old 06-28-2004, 08:12 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a reminder from the distant past. King features, who owns the rights to all of the "Peanuts" trademarks actually brought legal action against a group of modelers for advertising this model as "Snoopy". That's why you see it as "the flying doghouse" Remeber that "Snoopy" and his image as drawn by Mr Schultz are copyright articles and you have to have the owners permission to use them.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:20 AM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

Great Video!

I had two 6year olds, an 8 year old, and a 9 year old watch the video and none know anything about Peanuts, Snoopy, Charlie Brown, or the Red Baron. Looks like "Good ole' Dad" has some work to do.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:31 AM
BULL-RCU

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

Just a reminder from the distant past. King features, who owns the rights to all of the "Peanuts" trademarks actually brought legal action against a group of modelers for advertising this model as "Snoopy". That's why you see it as "the flying doghouse" Remeber that "Snoopy" and his image as drawn by Mr Schultz are copyright articles and you have to have the owners permission to use them.
I would have to guess that if you were selling this Item for profit or using it to make income there could be trademark issues... You can paint an image or recreate an image for your own pleasure from scratch as long as it's not used to gain profit or used in an inapropriote way. I'm not a lawyer... Besides did I say "Snoopy" boy some days I can't spell... I ment Snooty the stuck up dog... he was from the upper side of town... and live with "Malcum" in the Pent house, not Charlie.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:03 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Looks like flyingthingz.com is coming out with a Snoopy Dog House now ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.