Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

How much to get started

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 12:09 PM
Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much to get started

Ok folks, I have always admired RC folks and watched a couple times. I have also always loved planes, flying, etc. I would like to know someones view for a novice just starting in RC. I have above average mechanical skills with machinery etc. The closest thing to RC that I have operated is in factory work.. I worked in a steel mill operating an overhead crane with magnet on it .. Very large crane, pickin up scrap and dumping into railcar etc, operation was with a box(RC controller), also ran cranes from cab.
My main questions are: How much should I start out spending to get something into the air?
Also, when a person upgrades after getting better, do you buy all
new equipment or can you use some that you already have?
An example I can think of is a RC controller, some have more switches.
I would rather spend a little more on something I need later (more switches),
instead of having to buy two of almost the same thing.. (I hope that is not confusing).
Ive heard that you WILL crash while learning, if so , how much to repair
after accident? ( I know this will vary some).
Should I join or go watch clubs or someone fly etc.?
My age is 41--just to give you idea. Im oldie i guess.
Oh well, that should get me started thinking bout it .. Thanks Stalker
Old 06-12-2003, 02:20 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

The cost of starting from scratch in the hobby can vary to a large degree depending on your wants RE: model, engine, radio gear and field equipment. If you want fuel power or electric there is a difference. You can get an electric Slow Stick and have it in the air for $188. You can get a good almost ready to fly trainer for 100 bucks or maybe a tad more depending on the airplane. When you buy a radio get the most you can afford, at least a 6 channel FM. The brand makes little difference. I personally prefer Futaba and Hitec. The radio can be used in more than one airplane by buying a power pak which consists of a receiver and servos. Crashing is a product of flying but the chances of that happening can be reduced by FLYING WITH AN INSTRUCTOR. Field equipment Will include fuel or batteries depending on what you choose to fly. Electrics are fun too. The strides made in electric technology are astounding to say the least. Instead of fuel you need batteries and a charger. The electrics are not messy with splattered fuel residue. The fuel power models go faster and to me they sound great but the people in the immediate neighborhood do get edgy about it. Some people will point out that you can get a radio and an airplane for $250 or a bit more and they think that's all it costs. They don't consider props, fuel, field box, starter and a gel cel for the starter. If you licew within 30 miles of a hobby shop you're lucky. The closest to my place is about 90 miles. I am almost confined to ordering on line. There are several websites for hobby supplies. The best is always a hobby shop. That way you can see just what you're getting and probably a lot of good advice as well. The hobby shop owner will probably know wehre there is a club with a field. They will probably have instructors as well. You will be surprised at how enthusiastic your welcome will be. See what they are flying and use their experience. Welcome to the most fun you can have while standing on the ground.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:37 PM
avistar181

<hr>If you licew within 30 miles of a hobby shop you're lucky. The closest to my place is about 90 miles.<hr>
Wow!?! I must be really lucky then. I have 2 of them, both within 10 miles of my house!! I guess R/C Airplanes are a big hobby in the suberbs of philadelphia! I guess i also need to mention that my flying club is a mer 7 minutes from my house[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2003, 04:18 PM
nightrider646

i never realised how lucky i am to be able to bike less than one mile to get to a reliable and well-stocked hobbyshop that includes helis airplanes and cars with a nice owner (alex's rc hobbyshop belmont ma)![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2003, 05:32 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Stalker, you got some good advice from Gunner. The answer I give to people is $400-$500.
This will cover plane ,radio,engine, fuel,pump,starter,ect............... Leaning towards a little nicer radio is also
a good idea. Think about doing the same on the plane. A .60 size trainer will cost a little more than a .40
size trainer. When you look for a second plane though the .60 will fly a little bigger plane. A good deal
on radio right now is from Futaba. The Skysport 6 is about $150. at tower. The new 6 channel computer radio
from Futaba is $179. Both of these radios will take you through several planes. Also before you buy the radio.
Find out what channels are not in use at the flying field you will be using. You don't want a radio that
uses the same channel as a bunch of other guys at the field. This will cut down on your flying time.
Two radios on the same channel cannot be turned on at the same time. good luck daveo
Old 06-12-2003, 11:49 PM
Stalker

Ah thanks for the response m8, that gives me good idea of what to start with. Things been slow at work lately and funds are low leaving me more off time.. Going fishin some but I have been wishin I had the RC stuff right now to fill in the time---lol.. Will be seriously looking for ways to acquire the equipment sooner- Thanks, Stalker.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:28 AM
clemrick
My Feedback: (3)

Stalker:
These guys are on the right track with their suggestions. Just wanted to add my 2cs worth. When I started out, I bought a Hobbistar 60 with a OS 60 and a Futaba 6x computer radio. This radio is now in its fourth plane along with the servos and original battery pack. The engine is now in its third plane. I also bought the starter and fueling equipment and a couple of fire sticks all which I still use. And I had a great Hobby store within 30 miles of where I live. Notice I said had, This guy has since retired to a well deserved rest. (you know who you are, Bud) Anyways there is still a nice hobby shop about as close. Good luck in getting into the hobby. You won't find a nicer bunch of guys (you guys know who you are)

Again Good Luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2003, 08:35 PM
cap flyer
My Feedback: (2)

well i have to say they are right i have an old friend 65years or so he is a retires school teacher i am 28 and been playing in the hobby for about 2 years i started on a buddybox if u have a well experianced teacher then u wont get to flustrated my first plane was a hobbico .40 size with a .46 and a jr 5 chanel i love my trainer...i also got a real flight simulator which i belive helped me out a bunch i was soloing after my 2nd day on the buddy box ..2-3 hours each but i had spent 1-3 hours a day for weeks on the simulator ..also check out ur local shop and see if u can find some thing in the good but used section ...mayby their is some field stuff to you can buy ....also get your AMA......and go to the flying field and ask if their is a club trainer ther or if some one is avalble to traine u.....my field is always full of guys ready to help a new person ....and as the other guys said if ur going to stay into the hobby the get the biggest bang for ur buck in the radio area!!!!!!!!!!!regards and happy landing

Old 08-15-2003, 09:55 AM
EvolPenguin

<hr>Originally posted by: ballgunner
. If you licew within 30 miles of a hobby shop you're lucky.<hr>

Really? Well my hobby shop is right down the block. I guess I'm really lucky then. But the only planes they sell are the firebird series.

Alex
Old 08-18-2003, 08:49 AM
Askalon
My Feedback: (1)

As I am moving, the closest hobby shop will be Hobby Lobby (I think) and it will be a few blocks away. Not sure what they sell there, but What I can't get there I go online and buy from another hobby shop (not a web store or manufacturer).
Old 08-22-2003, 11:11 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget the $50 for your AMA card and another $50 for club fees. I bought a used flightstar 40 with a Futaba AM radio and an OS 40 FP all for $100 and it flies great. I spent another $100 - $150 on field gear and the total came to about $350. Now all I buy is fuel. That's pretty cheap to get into the hobby.

I have a really good instructor with over 40 years of R/C flying experience. He keeps me from losing my plane and gives me very valuable training. I'm within about ten flights of becoming pilot.

The key is to get into a club. They will teach everything you need to know and invite you to cool events. One very useful event for you would be a swap meet. There you can buy a used plane very cheap. Plus if it's already flown and proven then there's less risk. Also if you know the guy, less risk of getting screwed.

Joe