Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Flying on the wing… A dying skill?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Flying on the wing… A dying skill?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 01:10 PM
rockmon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flying on the wing… A dying skill?

ORIGINAL: flycatch

It appears that most of the posts do not agree with the term "flying on the wing". I learned to fly on a high wing trainer. What made this trainer unique was that it employed a semi symeterical airfoil. If you examine the typical trainer now flown by the vast majorityof model it uses the standard Clark Y airfoil. The lift generated by the Clark Y at high angles of AOA far exceeds that of a semi symeterical type.
The average beginner, flying a model utilizing a Clark Y airfoil at slow airspeeds, normally is always flying on the wing. When the beginner switches to a non Clark Y airfoil and attempts to fly this model in the same style as that of his previous aircraft problems begin to surface.
To overcome these problems the beginner must relearn how to fly this new airfoil selection.
So, flying on the wing is not a dying skill but one that is constanly being relearned.
"So, flying on the wing is not a dying skill but one that is constantly being relearned"Yes flycatch that's it, you da man.! I was trying to figure out what is meant by flying on the wing and it seemed to me we are always flying on the wing, I think then even when I fly a different plane that I have not flown for a while, I am, for a while "flying on the wing" untill I have re-learned that planes particular flying characteristics. How can that skill be lost by anyone who fly's on a regular basis? I think it's one of those skills that as long as you continue to fly, you will never loose and goes from being a skill to a reflex action.