Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Females who love to fly planes

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Females who love to fly planes

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 11:36 AM
bowencutie
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Females who love to fly planes

I'm a new flyer and female- My husband and I both love to build and fly planes both fuel and electric. I'm looking for other women and ladies who have taken to the sky and love to fly. Do any of you know of any females who love to fly?
Old 07-18-2004, 11:48 AM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Females who love to fly planes

i'm looking for a younger women who loves to fly rc planes. i like long...... oh wait this isnt the personals.

sean
Old 07-18-2004, 11:52 AM
bowencutie

You are correct Sean- Sorry- I have some one - But I'm looking for other girls to talk planes with and thanks for your reply
Old 07-18-2004, 12:26 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

HOORAY for you. Wish there were more females in the game. But you can talk to the guys here also about RC. The guys here are, with a few exceptions I suppose, very dedicated to the sport and it is all they are interested in while in RCU. Many of them can share great tips and experiences with you, and they are willing to do it.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:37 PM
bowencutie

Thanks Chuck for your reply- and encouragement- I'll be around for quite sometime to come.
I have built my first trainer from a kit and am still learning but my second plane has arrived for assembly and I'm looking forward to building it.

My first plane is on the repair bench- I learned that you don't try to land on top of the chain linked fence- sheared a wing and the landing gear was ripped off of my PT-40 The wing kit is here and half finished so I'll be flying again in a couple of weeks.
I also wrecked my instructors plane and have the nose rebuilt and ready to cover and plan on finishing that before my wing. So much to learn
Old 07-18-2004, 01:00 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

but i'm looking for girls to talk planes with also.....

sean
Old 07-18-2004, 02:09 PM
Ptarmigan

I rarely see females at RC field. They usually come with their husbands or boyfriends. It would be nice to see more women into RC flying. Now, when I am at a star party, I see more females [8D].
Old 07-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Righty

at my field of around 100 members there is one female who learned to fly via her husband...but i've never seen her.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:44 PM
bowencutie

In the club I belong, we have two females and that includes me and my Mom. She has soloed already but I'm still on the buddy box with an instructor. I hope you get to meet her soon- she is someone special
Old 07-18-2004, 04:48 PM
bowencutie

That is a shame- I wish more ladies would give it a try.
I fell in total infatuation the moment my first plane arrived as a box of wood.
I have had a ground school class to be sure I knew what makes a plane fly and now am working on landing and take off on a buddy box and still have trashed a few planes.
I have a simulator but can't seem to grasp the perspective and learn to land on it.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:32 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

First, welcome to RCU. It's really a terrific place with a lot of good people. There are a few females that are RCU members, but I too wish there were more interested in the activity.

I belong to two clubs; one has about 125 members (one woman in her late 60's that joined with her husband), the other has 50 members, all male. Not sure why it's such a male dominated hobby, but hopefully that will change.

Enjoy the hobby, and feel free to ask questions or share your experiences and thoughts here.
Dennis-
Old 07-18-2004, 06:34 PM
ben flyn

Do girls talk diffrently about planes than guys? If so, what would they talk about?

There was a thread not too long ago about pink planes. Boy! Did we give him a hard time![8D]
Old 07-18-2004, 07:48 PM
Righty

You've crashed a few times on the buddy box?

That doesn't seem right...
Old 07-19-2004, 03:37 AM
bowencutie

I have run into radio interference and lost contact and it seen the poor plane land on top of a chain linked fence and the nose job on take off was the result of a gopher hole grabbing the front wheel.
These were situations where my instructor on the buddy box was just as helpless as me. But each time was a learning experience.
Crashing doesn't hurt as much as I thought it would and the learning experience from re-building is invaluable.
I love this hobby
Old 07-19-2004, 09:24 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being on a buddy box doesn't mean that crashes won't happen...just less often, hopefully. My instructor gave me a lot of rope at times. I hit very hard on one landing. Repairing the plane was a good experience, as you said.

Hope you find more female buddies to talk about flying. We had one wife who flew at our club, but she lost interest after a while. She wouldn't let her husband sell her trainer though.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:45 PM
lionheart

Ben Flyn, I believe he (pink plane) asked for it, didn't he? I've been wondering if there were ANY ladies that fly RC out here. Welcome, Bowen! There are Sharks in the waters, be careful.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:01 PM
ZAGNUT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there's plenty of babes flying control line...well at least there was 50 years ago

dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86956.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	155186  
Old 07-19-2004, 02:02 PM
lionheart

I'd say closer to 70, Zag..... Yeesh.[X(][:-] I love my Grandma, but.....................
Old 07-19-2004, 02:21 PM
bowencutie

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement
I live in Florida- ain't skeert of sharks
Hope to find a few friends who are female and send them my way if you hear of any.
Giant hugs to all who responded- you are just as wonderful out there as close to home.
Happy Flights and smooth landings
Old 07-19-2004, 02:24 PM
bowencutie

Control line is great but I love free flight-
You know what I have noticed????
When you buy a magazine there are all those pretty girls holding and posing with planes and probably have no clue how to handle one in real life-- Pretty interesting fact
What do you folks think?
Old 07-19-2004, 02:57 PM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: bowen

Control line is great but I love free flight-
You know what I have noticed????
When you buy a magazine there are all those pretty girls holding and posing with planes and probably have no clue how to handle one in real life-- Pretty interesting fact
What do you folks think?
You're probably right, but it sells planes
Old 07-19-2004, 04:28 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We have a lady flyer in the club. We all call her granny, she is close to 70 and flys great. Her son and husband build her planes and she is a lot of fun. She lands better than a lot of the members do!
Old 07-19-2004, 05:07 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: ben flyn

Do girls talk diffrently about planes than guys? If so, what would they talk about?
Ben there are a lot of differances between men and women fliers that they could talk about. Where do you keep your purse while flying? Is it hard to go to the restroom if you don't have a girlfriend to go with you? What color nail polish do you wear with a blue plane? Are you more likley to crash during "that time of the month" or just more likely to yell at your instructor if you do?

So you see there is a definate need for a womens forum where these issues could be addressed. Unfortunately as an old thread discussed way back when, the hobby is practiced by geeks and dorks and it does not tend to attract many women. There is also a much, much lower percentage of female geeks and dorks so the potential pool of female participants is much smaller.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:39 PM
bowencutie

You make me laugh-
silly boy-- you wear Blue nail polish to fly a blue plane-

Have to remember some of us females do not carry a purse and since no other females fly- going to the port-a-pot is not an issue

I have snarled at my instructor "at that time of the month" and yes most of my poorest flying goes on during that week end- IT SUCKS

As for attracting dorks and geeks- I disagree for the most part but than I meet folks like yourself and wonder. The majority of the flyers I have met are the most respectable, caring people I have met in years. They encourage the pride and pleasure of females in this hobby
Old 07-19-2004, 05:42 PM
bowencutie

We have a lady flyer in the club. We all call her granny, she is close to 70 and flys great. Her son and husband build her planes and she is a lot of fun. She lands better than a lot of the members do!
How wonderful!!!! You go girl
Thank you for letting me know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.