Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

ATTEMPTED SCAM

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 02:40 PM
awschucks
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTEMPTED SCAM

SCAM ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I am trying to sell an Extra 300 for $400. I was contacted by [email protected] about the details of the plane and could I send him a picture. I emailed the info back to him and got the following response:

hi ,

Thanks for your quick response. I am interested and would be willing to buy it at that price and as i said earlier that i do have an international shipping agent that will come pick the plane up from your house and ship to me.

I will arrange for payment by sending your full name and address to my client in the States who is owing me the amount of $2850 to issue you a cashier's check for this amount. which is a refund for a cancelled order I placed with him, and being a refund the amount can only be written on a single check. I know it is more than the plane's price but after getting the check, I need you to cash it and deduct cost of the plane, then do me a favour of wiring the remaining balance to my International shipper via money gram/western union. You will also deduct $100 for running around and for wiring back the difference. After this is d one, he will then pick the plane up from your residence and ship to me.

So, confirm this and send your full name and address including
phone # for mailing the check payment to you as soon as possible.

Waiting for your urgent reply,
Kind regards,

sj

As you may know this is a SCAM...... The check is bogus and you loose your plane and the $2850. Be alert for these con artists. I wonder how much money they could make if they turned their talents to something honest.

Dave
Old 08-07-2004, 03:11 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ATTEMPTED SCAM

anybody who would send the plane and wire the money without first getting the $2850 check cashed deserves to be scammed...

but then he also offers to let you cash the check and hold the $$$ before letting go of the plane:
ORIGINAL: awschucks

After this is d one, he will then pick the plane up from your residence and ship to me.
most of these scams are after your bank account numbers and nowhere did i see him request that info.

but then he wrote the words "favour" and "check" which don't really go together...unless he's just bad at spelling.

dave
Old 08-07-2004, 03:33 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same guy was hitting me up for my Midwest Hots. I found the whole deal to be suspicious after the e-mail about payment (same as you got). Thought it was realy funny he was talking about international shippers but his forum profile lists him as being from the US.
Not to mention he became a member Tuesday
Old 08-07-2004, 04:07 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

The "checks" are counterfiet, and will come back to haunt you in a couple of weeks. Once your bank finds out they cannot get paid, they will deduct from your account.
It is definatley a scam. If the buyer will let you hald the money for about 3 weeks, then you wont have any problem.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:24 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TLH101

If the buyer will let you hald the money for about 3 weeks, then you wont have any problem.
No such luck in Canada anyway. The bank can come after you and reverse the item much later than that.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:58 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Do you have a username for this guy?? sjboy comes with nothing in the system, thanks.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:10 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

The "checks" are counterfiet, and will come back to haunt you in a couple of weeks. Once your bank finds out they cannot get paid, they will deduct from your account.
ok, i forgot how banks work in the states. over here a check can only be cashed at the actual account holder's branch, at any other branch or bank you must deposit it into an account and wait 5 days for it to clear.

dave
Old 08-07-2004, 06:18 PM
awschucks

Art,
All that I have from this joker, is his Email address and what you saw in the response. As I understand the scam, he would send me a cashiers check, I would deposit the 'cashiers check' and then send him the plane and the difference between the 2850 and 400 dollars, or $2450. The checks come from Europe and it takes almost 6 weeks for the check to bounce. My bank would have then deducted the $2850 from my account and I would loose big time. Everyone on this fourm should be warned about the scam. It's been happening all over the net.

Here's the warning that is posted on the IMAA site:

PLEASE NOTE:
Hey, everybody... Be very careful and on the lookout for the following scam which I think has already been reported by a heads-up fellow IMAA member yet is apparently still being perpetrated on IMAA classified advertisers. The scam works like this: You get an e-mail showing interest in buying your offering. Next, you get another e-mail telling you that the buyer is sending you a $5,000 check (or some amount far in excess of the price you're asking for your item). The scammer than tells you to deposit the cashiers check and send the difference to him in Nigeria. Later, you find out that his cashier's check was bogus and either you or your bank eats it (probably you) while the scammer has your good funds. I'm going to report this piece of garbage to law enforcement but wanted all of you to watch out for these crooks.
Ben Valenty <[email protected]>
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA USA - April 14, 2004 at 8:47.4

Dave
Old 08-07-2004, 08:57 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What kind of moron would actually fall for this? I mean why does anyone have to warn anybody about something so blatant?
Old 08-07-2004, 09:05 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

What kind of moron would actually fall for this? I mean why does anyone have to warn anybody about something so blatant?
Because most people believe that a cashiers check is guaranteed to be good, and cannot bounce due to being purchased with cash. Used to be you could trust a cashiers check, not anymore.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:26 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

If I had a username or a post that he made I could firewall him but without that I am unable to track him in the system. It really doesn't take a moron to fall for scams like this one when there is money involved and one is about to make more then they expected, it's called being human!
Old 08-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Well if you want to get him back, their is nothing that would *&^% him off more is to be scammed in his own scam. Whenver I build an Arf or something, I save the box it came in for all the garbage and crap from the plane. Send him that stuff?
Old 08-07-2004, 09:56 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Because most people believe that a cashiers check is guaranteed to be good, and cannot bounce due to being purchased with cash. Used to be you could trust a cashiers check, not anymore.
I got one a few months ago, guy claimed to be from some exciled african royal family. He claimed he was having trouble getting his money out and wanted to spilt $50K or something with me if I would cash some check. You did not see me writing my friends to warn them about that!

So you are telling me that if someone believed the payment mechanism was secure (like wire transfer or a money order) then they would think this is legit?

I am afraid to share the highways with people that stupid.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:51 PM
mvigod
Banned

I was notified of this same guy a day or so ago and banned him from the market. We see this every week. We spoke with the secret service who handles these scams and they are aware of this. it is widespread but there is nothing they can do about it. When in doubt or when things seem to good to be true back away from the deal or use a real escrow company.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:05 AM
tIANci

Its all so simple ... DO NOT buy from the net. In as much as the buyer can pull a scam so can the SELLER. What is there to stop AWSHUCKS from not sendig the goods. Hence, its almost a stalemate. Hence, no point buying over the net, again we have not gone into the issue of quality!
Old 08-08-2004, 03:08 PM
awschucks

HI,

I have no fear of doing business over the internet. You have to use common sense, however.

As far as awschucks (me) not shipping the item or not being honest about the condition of an item, I usually reference my Ebay feedback rating that shows a history of over 10,000 items sold and more than 1.200 positive feedbacks. I have learned from having sold many, many items that it pays to be 150% honest about the condition of an item being sold. If you try to gloss over even a minor problem with something, it will come back to haunt you. I offer a 100% money back gurantee. The only time that I have had a problem was when someone tred to return a different motor than the one that I had sold him. I sold a brand new 90 four stroke and he tried to shaft me with a crashed, shot one. I mark all all of my items with a UV pen. The returned motor did not have my mark on it.

If you are nervous about buying something from a person, use an escrow service that eliminates the possibility of being shafted.

Dave