Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Problem with Hobby Town USA

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Problem with Hobby Town USA

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 07:57 AM
jettstarblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Problem with Hobby Town USA

[/quote]

then whats the problem?
[/quote]

Hobby Town.....
Old 08-30-2004, 08:05 AM
BillyGoat

ORIGINAL: NOVAflier
Is it me, or has Righty only added provocation to the entire thread?
He's just a kid... Nothing the block feature can't take care of.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:06 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am a hobby junkie. I love plastic models, model rockets, slot cars, and trains as well. HobbyTown is great for all of these things. One hobby that I won't even think about getting anything for at HobbyTown is anything that has to do with RC aircraft. They are just not into that thing, although they at times try, if I do attempt to look into even getting a glow plug, I may be in for a big surprise and often a big laugh.

However, Hobby Lobby is now in town, and with their 1/2 price sales, I don't know how much longer HTUSA will be around and compete. We also have two specialized "RC" plane stores that are great at suppling RCers with everything they need. These two stores also sell guns, ammo, and sporting goods to offset the costs of holding and RC inventory. I think that is the way to go since me and a number of guys who fly also hunt and fish. Kinda nice to be able to pick up a box a 12 GA shells, a few props, some fuel, and some swivels all at the same place for a day of hunting, fishing, and flying.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:00 AM
Righty

Alright,

If hobbytown USA is such a bad place to get advice, and your RC parts, etc. THEN WHY DO YOU GO THERE? And if you don't go there anymore. Then why are you still complaining about them? Do you feel the need to make everyone you pass hate hobbytown USA? I have been on trips to the US and have been to Hobbytown USA a couple of times and found them to be a good hobby store with lots of hobbies for all ages. Just because they don't carry a part or don't know what it is doesn't mean you need to come online and flame the hell out if them...

And as for this comment:

Your just adding fuel to my fire
Old 08-30-2004, 10:59 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Righty,

So far, the majority here confirm/ reinforce Geist's experience. This is good information. You've also shared your experience with HT. One purpose of this type of board is finding information like this. You can call it flaming or spreading hate, but it's useful.... unlike your comments.

Geist,

Is this something you can take care of mail order? i.e. Send it back via UPS or whatever?
Old 08-30-2004, 10:59 AM
jettstarblue

I only am trying to pass on info, so others can "beware" before they ever step into one. No reason an inexperience person should go in one, and think that that's how a hobby shop is supposed to be.
I also tell people about good places with good sevice and good prices, so they can go there.

"Just because they don't carry a part or don't know what it is doesn't mean you need to come online and flame the hell out if them... "

Well, I'm not "flaming them", I'm simply telling it how it is, that's not flaming, complaining, or whining.

MH has put it into words quite well........thanks Mike.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:57 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think this is kinda unfair against HTUSA. Are they a good source for RC? NO! Should they even be attempting to carry it? NO! Are we aware of the quality ond selection of merchandise for RC at HTUSA? YES. So then, we are we talking about them???? I do feel that HTUSA would be a BAD place for a first timer to go into because they may have just enough to intice the person throught the door with their park flers and RTF set-ups, but a poor enough selection and knowledge of personnel that would deter the person from pursuing the hobby further.

Again, I still go there because I think they do have a good selection for other hobbies. However, unless they get their prices down, I think their days are numbered because they seem to be in the same areas where Hobby Lobby and Micheals are located. These are the superstores for games, arts, and crafts that knock stuff down to 1/2 price below retail. The same market that HTUSA is in.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:05 PM
Righty

ORIGINAL: scottrc

I think this is kinda unfair against HTUSA. Are they a good source for RC? NO! Should they even be attempting to carry it? NO! Are we aware of the quality ond selection of merchandise for RC at HTUSA? YES. So then, we are we talking about them???? I do feel that HTUSA would be a BAD place for a first timer to go into because they may have just enough to intice the person throught the door with their park flers and RTF set-ups, but a poor enough selection and knowledge of personnel that would deter the person from pursuing the hobby further.

Again, I still go there because I think they do have a good selection for other hobbies. However, unless they get their prices down, I think their days are numbered because they seem to be in the same areas where Hobby Lobby and Micheals are located. These are the superstores for games, arts, and crafts that knock stuff down to 1/2 price below retail. The same market that HTUSA is in.

I couldn't have said it better myself
Old 08-30-2004, 12:58 PM
MHawker

Very true.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:10 PM
jettstarblue

Well alrighty then.......'nuff said.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:43 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Righty

Alright,

If hobbytown USA is such a bad place to get advice, and your RC parts, etc. THEN WHY DO YOU GO THERE? And if you don't go there anymore. Then why are you still complaining about them? Do you feel the need to make everyone you pass hate hobbytown USA? I have been on trips to the US and have been to Hobbytown USA a couple of times and found them to be a good hobby store with lots of hobbies for all ages. Just because they don't carry a part or don't know what it is doesn't mean you need to come online and flame the hell out if them...

And as for this comment:

Your just adding fuel to my fire
In the past I thought Righty was one of the brighter youtes (see My Cousin Vinnie)... Clearly I was wrong... Perhaps he enjoys buying all the pokemon cards there and will be hurt if they go under?

Anywho... I've been to a few, one in Sacremento which I rather enjoyed. They didn't have too much in the way of airplanes (travelling anyway, couldn't bring a plane home if I did buy one), but I did score a P-47 Walkaround book. AND the guys behind the counter were somewhat bright when it came to rc cars...

In conclusion... in business (perhaps you will learn this someday Righty...) statistics say an unhappy customer will tell 10 people, while a happy customer will tell one person.. With the invention we call the internet, I am sure these numbers are skewed. I am sure it is MUCH higher now. EDIT: Looks like he told over 400 people....
Hobby Town should know this and adhere to "the customer is ALWAYS right" policy.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:29 PM
Righty

In the past I thought Righty was one of the brighter youtes (see My Cousin Vinnie)... Clearly I was wrong... Perhaps he enjoys buying all the pokemon cards there and will be hurt if they go under?

Wow...
Old 08-30-2004, 06:08 PM
Geistware

I was there for a family wedding and saw the pump, it was different and seemed to be what I have been looking for so I purchased it. If I thought it was a slight chance that I would need to return it, I would never have got it in the first place. I have only shopped at a Hobby Town twice. The first time was to buy a 3/32 ball driver. Price was $5 so I got it. I could have received two for that price at Tower Hobbies but saw it and wanted it now not later.

I will say that it will be my last purchase for something that is not automatic. Tools, monokote and stuff like that. They have proved they do not want MY business!
ORIGINAL: MHawker
Geist,
Is this something you can take care of mail order? i.e. Send it back via UPS or whatever?
Old 08-30-2004, 06:57 PM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

To what *Crash*Johnson* said, ouch, pulled the trigger and shot.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sohhhhh, hows life in the basin-bum?
Old 08-30-2004, 10:47 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in Arlington TX which has a population over 352,000. For many years the only LHS in town was Hobby Town USA. Same story as most of the above. Dungeons and Dragons and plastic cars with a little Dubro thrown in.

Not long ago they moved to a location which is 2.5 times larger than the old one. With the move, a new guy showed up, I think he is the owner. The whole personality of the place changed for the better. They also started stocking a lot more RC aircraft related stuff. I went in the other day looking for some unusual size screws and actually got some good help. Knock me over with a feather. They also hired a guy who is very knowledgeable in RC. Unbelievable. Don't wake me up.

Ken
Old 09-01-2004, 10:52 PM
davbow
My Feedback: (6)

I live in sioux falls sd. They are really helpful there. Like the gentlemen from Huron, sd stated "if a worker doesn;t fly, he will get one of the other workers that does. Kudos to the Sioux Falls Chain. Now on the other hand, i visited the new HobbyTown USA super store, which by the way is awesome, i asked one of the guys if he had an autopilot , like the one that is on the nexstar, he pointed to the little pilot figures. i was like , thanks!!!!! and bit my tongue!!!
Old 09-02-2004, 05:21 AM
Geistware

What I don't get is why no one that works for a HobbyTown will come forward and say how great their store is???????

ORIGINAL: davbow
Now on the other hand, i visited the new HobbyTown USA super store, which by the way is awesome, i asked one of the guys if he had an autopilot , like the one that is on the nexstar, he pointed to the little pilot figures. i was like , thanks!!!!! and bit my tongue!!!
Old 09-02-2004, 12:30 PM
MHawker

You know why.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:47 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Cause.... IF they managed to figure out how to turn the PC on, THEN learn the alphabet, AND THEN learned how to type on the keyboard...

They will NEVER manage to navigate to rcu :P
Old 09-02-2004, 12:48 PM
Geistware

That is a shame.
Why is it that a good concept has to be disfunctional
ORIGINAL: MHawker

You know why.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:44 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

While I do not work for, nor have I ever worked for HT, I know a bit about their stores as I live in Lincoln. Hobbytown is a franchise with HQ in Lincoln, NE. The stores are independent and all vary in how they are managed and what they stock. HT is NOT a model aircraft shop. Never has been and never will be. They are a generic hobby store that carries everything from RC planes, trains, cars, boats, telescopes, kites, games, action figures, and yes, pokemon cards. They have tiered their offering to cover a broad range of hobbies and have specialized in no area. IMO, this is why they are successful. In fact, HT is rated in the top 2% of all franchises in the US.

HT will never be the model airplane store of yesteryear. If they tried, they would suffer the same fate. My local HT store actually has a large selection as they are the flagship store, but they still don't offer many of the items I need. But I can't really fault them for that because they are not a full blown model airplane store. They do however carry the typically everyday items I need (glow plugs, glue, basic hardware, etc.) Sure, they are more expensive than mail order, but name me one local store front that isn't. What I like about HT is that they have the small generic basic stuff I need every day. If I want to build this weekend, and Friday evening I realize I'm out of CA, HT will have the CA I need and I'll pay an extra buck over mail order just so I can build now. Sure, it would be great if they stocked spare parts to my YS and DS engines and had a wide selection of 27" to 28" menz, mejs & p-tip props, but that won't happen. HT may not be the RC aircraft superstore I would like them to be, but they do offer a service I need.

In addition, our local HT store and HQ have donated over $1000 in stuff to our club in the past two years. Everything from prizes for our funfly and contests to full trainers with buddy box, fuel and spare parts so we could start an "Introductory Flight" program.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:18 PM
jettstarblue

ORIGINAL: JohnW

They have tiered their offering to cover a broad range of hobbies and have specialized in no area.

Sure, they are more expensive than mail order, but name me one local store front that isn't.

In addition, our local HT store and HQ have donated over $1000 in stuff to our club in the past two years. Everything from prizes for our funfly and contests to full trainers with buddy box, fuel and spare parts so we could start an "Introductory Flight" program.
That's nice that they donated some things.
However- They are more expensive than mail order but 7+ bucks for an APC 11X6 just because it's the Xmas shopping season?!?
The one near me seems to know a lot about cars, a little about boats, and nothing whatsoever about the line(s) of airplanes and accesories they carry, knowing a little is only good business practice.
Also don't bother going in that one if you are a minority, or an Orthodox Jewish Rabbi, unless you have your cash out when you walk in, they will just blow you off.
Too bad for the hobby, too bad for them!
Old 09-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Geistware

Sounds like the Lincoln, NE store is a good corporate citizen!
Old 09-18-2004, 05:49 PM
johnnycrash

hmm ho'town
righty must work there
otherwise he wouldn't care if we "flamed"
service some good some bad mostly bad.
priceing lmao, I can drive an hour further and save more than enough money to pay for the extra gas, get better service, get hobby stuff not toys, they places like kb toys wal mart kmart target for that crap, there isn't around that can compete with those three for cheap toys.
when someone says they carry something inparticular I expect to find it when I go in or sorry we ran out but will have more tommorow

As for the Guy in astabula OH think North canton Oh Aero tech hobby lot's good stuff planes ,cars, and boat all r/c and a little junk mostly semi related to rc planes cars etc.
servicewent in for YS45 they didn't have one was told I could order one bought a plane instead, from differant sales person, first sales person came up to me as I was leaving to tell me he ordered a couple of the engines and they'll be there this wendsday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.