Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

RCers who are ham (Amateur) radio operators?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RCers who are ham (Amateur) radio operators?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 02:03 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RCers who are ham (Amateur) radio operators?

Okay, thanks. How does one find out about this, when, etc.,?

This is something that has always bothered me about the ham band; some wanna-be without a life trying to bounce a monster signal off the moon, or whatever. My buddy, who is an active "talker", assures me there is ZERO activity in our area on 50 mHz.

But it would distress me mightily to drop the over $400 needed to convert all my stuff over, to get shot down by a guy in Peoria trying to contact Bubba down here, via a 500-watt signal.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:39 PM
lynn1130
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,
I too, had been on the radio in law enforcement for 35+ years but still found that DXing was a way to "spool down" and a distraction from the police work. To each his own.

Ham radio, while not what it used to be because of the changes in qualifications, has always been the place that radio experimentation lead to discoveries that later became inventions and changes in technology. Had not Marconi experimented where would we be today??

And as to the guy in Peoria trying to contact Bubba, he is probably running an illegal "kicker" on a band that he has no license to be operating on. Generally, we don't have to worry about the Hams, it is the others that cause us problems.

Lynn
Old 12-13-2004, 03:57 PM
LSP972

<<...an illegal "kicker"...>>

Yeah; like the 18-wheel cockroach driver pushing 100 watts on his CB, with his pinging power mike, etc.

Legal or not, you're still shot down; and those boneheads are out there. So, I gather it is an increasing problem?

Man; you can't do ANYTHING these days without having to worry about some candidate for retro-active birth control screwing it up... or some bureaucrat with an agenda trying to shut you down.[&o]
Old 12-13-2004, 04:27 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll have to do a web search to find out the weekend of the VHF contest.

I was very active on the bands from 70cm to 160 meters at one time. One thing I found was that most operators on 6 meters don't even know there are guys flying R/C in sections of the band. Again, it is just a hand shake agreement to not go key down in our area of the band. With the requirements to get a tech ticket so easy now it lets about anyone get on the VHF bands with a weekend of looking at one of the books that has the questions and answers to the test.

Just remember...the "guy in Peoria trying to contact Bubba" has just as much right to the band as the rest of us because he got one of those easy to get no code tech tickets.

73's

Pete
Old 12-13-2004, 10:34 PM
LSP972

Pete, you're doing a good job of changing my mind.[]
Old 12-13-2004, 11:01 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Steve,
While nobody can say definitivley, Bubba 1000 miles away with 500 watts might not shoot you down with .75 watts 100 yards away. Either way I think you have a better chance of getting shot down by a kid with a traineron 72 Mhz than you do by Bubba or especially by someone who at least studied for a weekend and took a test to be able to fly on your channel.

As guys who build will poo-poo ARFs, guys who had to learn code to get a ticket will poo-poo my no-code license. What either one has to do with being able to fly (or work with electronics for that matter) eludes me. I have listened to and talked with other hams and after a few minutes there really isn't anything to talk about. I'd like to learn how to assist my neighbors after the next big disaster but aside from that I think I'll stick to flying with my ham license.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:39 AM
LSP972

<<...you have a better chance of getting shot down by a kid with a trainer on 72mHz...>>

Or a park flyer. You're right, of course. I don't have near the worries you do in that regard, but still...

And I did indeed detect a bit of snobbery in that reference to no-code tickets.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:46 AM
modeltronics

No-snobbery intended. Sorry if I came across that way, it was not intended to be a put down. The point I'm trying to make is that with it so easy to get a ham ticket now that you have to just cover all the options. There are a lot of hams that have no idea that we fly on 6 meters. I fly on 6 meters. But before I do I always know what the band conditions are before I leave the house. I have made contacts into Europe on 6 meters when the band is open and that was done without running big power, just a good antenna. Most of the time the band is closed. There is no 100% safe band to fly in. I always wished we would be given a different section of the VHF or UHF ham bands. If I had to pick a ham band to use without looking into it much I would pick 220 mHz. There is not a lot of activity there and I don't think we would have to worry about propagation as much as we might on 6 meters.

73s

Pete
Old 12-14-2004, 10:44 AM
BasinBum

I'm still on 16 untill I get my next radio on 6 meters. My 1/4 scale Extra locked out the other day (PCM) and I got it back at the very last second and landed right away. I then turned on my Yaesu VX5R and heard voices on my channel. It sounded like TV or commercial radio broadcast and moved the meter a little. It went away after ten minutes and has yet to return. I suppose any frequency can "open up" under the right conditions. Isn't it going to be several years untill the next predicted conditions exist for 6 meters to open up?

I checked my buddies channel before he flew his turbine and another guy who had just traded the frequency pin still had his radio on. The VX5R is paying for itself very nicely.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:33 AM
modeltronics

I use an old Icom IC R7000 to listen to what's going on before I go flying. When I was living in Illinois I heard all sorts of stuff between 72 and 73 mHz. I even remember hearing music in there.

Off subject....The AMA bought a bunch of Icom IC R7000 receivers that clubs could use for a short time. I think all you had to do was pay for the shipping. Is that deal still around?
Old 12-23-2004, 12:17 PM
electricfan
My Feedback: (1)

im new to this. what does 6 meter and 2 meter mean? why is ham better (or worse) than PPM?
Old 07-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Dan Lenz

I am looking for ham gear as I am getting back into flying can you guys tell me where to look for transmitters and such

Dan
Old 07-22-2010, 08:51 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Grew up in Upper Michigan (WB8KYK in high school) and helped build a few 2 meter repeaters up there, and was active on Oscar 6/7 as well as the HF bands. After college, designed airborne HF Transceivers for Collins Radio. Airplanes and electronics always seemed to go hand-in-hand. Up until my last purchase, all my RC transmitters have been 6 meter units, but availability (and frequency allocations here) keeps getting tougher so now on 72Mhz. Ultimately I'll get back on the ham bands here in Thailand but too many other irons in the fire right now, like enjoying RC Flying!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Dan Lenz

I am looking for ham gear as I am getting back into flying can you guys tell me where to look for transmitters and such

Dan
Futaba still makes and supports 50 MHz equipment. I used that alone for my 9Z and now 14MZ. Honestly however, given how good 2.4 is I would recommend going that route. I have not touched my ham band RC stuff in a couple of years now. 2.4 is too cool, even if only for the small antenna!!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Silent-AV8R

Repeat post. Sorry

BTW - this may be the oldest thread I have ever seen come back to life!! 2004 to 2010 !!!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:24 PM
GaryV

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

I used 6m on one of my R/C skydivers for a while, I have the module and receiver for a Futaba 8U, 9C that I don't use any more.
If I was buying new equipment I would go with 2.4 ghz.

Gary
KI4FZV
Old 07-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Dan Lenz

Thanks Guys how the 2.4 ghz for long distance like a mile or 2 looking at fpv also I agree the little ant is cool. I am going to buy a cub kit to get use to flying again I have real flight simulator. My old stuff was all 72 mhz but was destroyed in a fire.

Dan kb9ime

Old 07-23-2010, 01:09 AM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

73 de W1DBN. Now in CA and did not care to ham from here after being on the air from many countries around the world and holding the
only HU1 call (at the time), circling the South Pole in a C-124 while on the air as W1DBN/Aeronautical Mobile KC4.
Oh yes, R/C on 6 meters. Eloy
Old 07-23-2010, 01:27 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Dan Lenz

Thanks Guys how the 2.4 ghz for long distance like a mile or 2 looking at fpv also I agree the little ant is cool. I am going to buy a cub kit to get use to flying again I have real flight simulator. My old stuff was all 72 mhz but was destroyed in a fire.

Dan kb9ime

Keep in mind that in the US if you are an AMA member that all FPV must be line of sight and with a spotter with "eyes on" the model. So a mile or more might be a stretch for the spotter.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Dan Lenz

I am not an AMA member yet waiting til I get my plane and stuff but at some point I want to get into long range stuff. but thats way down the road.

What about 2 mtrs for the video feed like ATV anyone try that??

Dan

Old 04-10-2011, 11:44 AM
BarnstormingRC

Howdy all N6AQ here, love low band stuff but have not turned it on in a few weeks, been busy building my stuka
Old 04-10-2011, 02:46 PM
JPMacG

deleted
Old 04-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have had a ham license (currently Advanced class) since 1959. I have been flying on 6 meters since 1980. I still fly on 50 MHz but I confess that I have been seduced by 2.4 GHz.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Greetings!

Mostly CW here,,, BUT if you hear me on SSB, its because I fell asleep on the mic listening to SSB

73 Bill KG6VPU
Old 04-12-2011, 12:52 PM
MrGoodwreck

General Class holder here,

sorry no pics of the shack. I run an FT 8800, FT 8900, Alinco 220 rig, and 857D in the shack. I have a complet Heathkit HF station just for fun also.

I do not run on 50-53 for flying, dont see, nor never have seen the need. I only got into the Ham stuff for the Civil Air Patrol in the late 80's as a kid, and let it expire when I was in the ARMY. Retested 3 years ago just for the heck of it ( I used to pirate on the .435 machine in So Cal back in the day, but moved back to washington where people are not so bold)

Anyway, I enjoy doing it all legal like now, and should have my Extra in may or june.

73/DE
KE7***

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.