Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

hovering&flying over runway?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

hovering&flying over runway?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 12:08 PM
tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hovering&flying over runway?

At our field it says in the rules that there is to be NO hovering,aerobatics,low passes,and other maneuvers over the run way it is to be done over the high grass past the run way.There has been times when you are flying these plane come up in your face and has caused some almost crashes.I have nothing against foames I am interested in safety.We have a few guys who fly foam electric planes totally over the run way,seems no one wants to say anything to them,I am going to bring this up at the next meeting and make them all mad at me. Should I say anything?
Old 11-27-2004, 12:14 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: hovering&flying over runway?

I fly foamy's, and dont like flying them a long ways away. Have a talk with them, and tell them to stay away from other people. My old club had a special area just for heli's, and we used it to fly our foamy's and fly aroung ourselves.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:52 PM
Live Wire

Make sure it is just the rules you bring up and not the people breaking them, It will save a lot of problems if it pertains to the club not an individual. Rules are for all not just a few!!

"Been There Done That"

[8D]
Old 11-27-2004, 01:44 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

A black and white interpretation of your rules may not be the answer. If they are flying foamies over the runway but not when others are flying than it is not a safety issue. If they are flying in front of other pilots with bigger planes that is a problem. The spirit of the rule is to prevent a dangerous situation and it should not be applied to a safe situation.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:45 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tree

At our field it says in the rules that there is to be NO hovering,aerobatics,low passes,and other maneuvers over the run way it is to be done over the high grass past the run way.There has been times when you are flying these plane come up in your face and has caused some almost crashes.I have nothing against foames I am interested in safety.We have a few guys who fly foam electric planes totally over the run way,seems no one wants to say anything to them,I am going to bring this up at the next meeting and make them all mad at me. Should I say anything?

Rules are rules. They should be enforced equally among the applicable community.

If you feel the rules are being broken, and that such breakage is being ignored, I say YES, by all means bring it up.

IMO, you should be able to recite specific dates, times, and persons. However some may well rise up against you. If you cannot take the heat, then I suggest you decide for yourself if you should stand and be counted or just mumble in the corner about those bad persons (like stay out of the kitchen). I say that because I definitely enjoy POing those arrogant dolts that think the rules are for others, rationalize away the rule as per their own conceived meaning of the rule, are not willing to go at least 60% of the way ensure a safe environment for all, display temper tantrums on the field or at club meetings, and other such displays of poor sportsmanship and concern for their fellow modelers.
So it's up to the members of a club to either enforce the rules or change the rules. If you cower back, then you will never know just how many others are cowering and just waiting for a LEADER to lead the way and get something accomplished. Besides the items above, I suggest you also propose an alternate plan that could replace the current rule.

My club has the rules of no low passes when other flight stations are occupied, and no hovering over the runway when fixed wing airplanes are flying and the hover is not just choppers. All rigidly enforced.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:30 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our rules here are basic common sense and set up as in a full scale pattern. The runway is for taking off, landing or flyby only. No hovering by helicopters or aerobatics of any kind over the runway period. If a guy flys by and nails you while doing 3d, you owe him a plane and to make sure you pay off, your license plate is taken down and reported to the police if you do not pay up.

You can hover and mess around all you want as long as you are not over the runway. When your in the runway area you better be doing one of those three. Yes you should bring it up. Some of us also send a message by flying by over the runway at 100mph and scare the *&^% out of him. Then he gets the drift.

Our runway is 100 ft wide with "aprons" everywhere. As far as designated are goes, you have the runway centerline, then on both sides are border lines 50 ft from center. You can do whatever you want past the far side but if you bring it in close, you may have a $$$$ day.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Flyfalcons

As times change so can your club's rules. If no one (or very few) objects to people flying lightweight foam airplanes in close then maybe a rules change is in order to accomodate them. Another possibility is opening an area at your field specifically for lightweight planes and helis to be flown close in. As a former club president I found it was better to try to accomodate everyone and not be afraid of change in these changing times of RC.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Roll On 60

All rules should be followed by ALL persons, at all times when using the field.
If one violates the club rules, that person also violates AMA rules. Should an accident occur while a deliberate violation is occurring, look out.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:08 PM
BasinBum

Yes! If one of those foamy airplanes were to fly into the pits it could kill someone! Every rule should be followed to the nth degree without any thought and any violator should be strung up from the highest yardarm.

One thing I have learned on RCU is that every field is differant and what works at one does not apply to all. I have also learned that some folks love to try and run everyone's program at their flying field and control of people's behavior is more their hobby than the planes.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:05 PM
AgCat1982

Since you don't have to follow them, I vote to do away with all rules. Every RC'er is on his on.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:44 AM
jettstarblue

ORIGINAL: agcatsbest

Since you don't have to follow them, I vote to do away with all rules. Every RC'er is on his on.

Here here, I second that motion!!
Old 11-28-2004, 11:02 AM
BasinBum

ORIGINAL: agcatsbest

Then we would have RC Anarchy! Pilots would run amuck raping and pilaging across the pits. I had three old men eye-raping my Wildhare Extra just last week and I can tell you it isn't fun. We need more rules and every other person in your club should be a field marshall with jack boots and an arm band. Then we could get this hobby under control. We could have interment camps set up to "re-educate" those dangerous 3D pilots and maybe some experimental medical facilities to see if there is a certain part of the brain that could be worked on to get them to fly the way they should. With a little work we will have everyone flying in a tidy little circle so the children of this great country are safe from the communists that fly radically.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:53 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Our club addressed this issue at our last fly in. With 3-D becoming more popular I wanted to nip any problems in the bud. After talking with a few well seasoned flyers we decided the following. 3-D flying was to be done in the last 15 minutes of each hour while other flyers are on the flight line. If you are the only one flying go for it. If 15 minutes of each hour are not enough we will lengthen the time up to 30 minutes per hour. We will base this on the amount of people flying each type of flight. Our field also has an area set aside for helis. The pilots were told they could use this are at any time for 3D. They would have to walk about 100 yards down to be close to the flying area. No one did that. All went well and everyone was happy.

I would try to address the issue NOW at your club. If not you or another flyer will get increasingly aggravated until you blow up. Then that person will be seen as the hot head and nothing will change.

David
Old 11-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Okay, so the rules are there are no rules![sm=drowning.gif]
Old 11-28-2004, 04:26 PM
mvigod
Banned

At our field we also use the heli hover area to fly the foamies. it is off the flight path of the regular planes and it allows us to do the hovering and other close up stuff we enjoy doing without interfering with normal traffic. if heli guys come though we give them first right of use in the area though but fortunately not many helis at our field and those that do fly the pattern most of the time.

I was one of those guys hovering over the runway last year with my brand new E3D brushless powered and all. Only one other flyer in the air and he was flying a sport plane. Wouldn't you know we had to test the physics theory of "two bodies cannot occupy the same space at the same time". Of course it tested true and the outcome was having my E3D blown to pieces (very impressive impact) and his plane flew right through only a small ding. He didn't even bother to land his after the impact and went on to fly another 5 minutes as if nothing happened.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:47 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Our club also has a rule about no hovering over the runway, and it's generally ignored by anyone with an aircraft capable of doing just that; we have an area just beyond our grass runway that's ideal for this activity, it's a well tended hayfield, but the chopper flyers (all one of them) and the 3-Der's (several) I guess have poor enough distance vision that they can't see their plane the extra 75 feet it takes to get off the runway and into the field. HOWEVER; the club I fly with has about 60 members, rarely are there more than 6 or 7 in the air at any given time, and we all get along well and we all have gotten into the habit of calling out our desired intentions from the flightline and getting some response before we initiate. So far we've not had a "problem" if somebody is over the runway with his prophanger and somebody else wants to make a touch-and go, or a low pass, or land, or take off. The prophanger will generally fly the pattern once or twice until the runway is clear again It is understood that deadsticks have absolute priority over anything, landinds are next, and then takeoffs. If somebody is doing something that makes another person uncomfortable to fly around, he generally waits til the other guy lands or crashes, then has his turn. I like the rule limiting activity over the runway, and during club fly-ins, it is sacrosanct and inviolable for safety sake. but there's no real need to get the Brown-Shirt attitude about enforcing it unless there are repeated problems caused by repeat offenders.

Then I think it's a good time for a repeat of the "lawnmower scene" from Point Break for the offender, using the largest plane at the field
Old 11-30-2004, 08:13 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

just shoot everyone down-
Old 11-30-2004, 08:29 PM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

Ya know, I had this very thing happen to me..I was flying my shocky at the far end of the field...about 200 feet from anyone...an old geezer walks down to me and tells me to not fly over the yellow line...I ask him why, and who Im hurting...he grumbles some BS to me, and I just ignore him...old geezers tend to ruin this hobby for everyone, as they must have lived a mundane, powerless life, as they try to be a bigshot at the club....the only place they can be,lol..
Old 12-01-2004, 03:49 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

[
Old 12-04-2004, 11:18 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

"Reminders" that there is a no fly zone were posted at my field recently. Otherwise, most are pretty tolerant of 3d'ers. My instructor always ask me "what do you want to make an airplane do that for?" He's an old geezer, sorta like me . It is really just a matter of respect and common sense. As long as one considers the safety of all around him, and flys accordingly, there shouldn't be any need to break out the rule book.

We sorta know who flys low and slow at my field and due consideration is given to all.

Jim C
Old 12-05-2004, 05:54 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

We have an area off the side for foamies and control line.
It is best that they are over in another area all together.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:07 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3D over the runway is fine only if you are the only one flying or 1 other plane is in the air. Otherwise it's not a good idea. Common sense. If people start taking off while I'm hovering, I just blast out of there and start flying aerobatics in the standard oval pattern. No problemo.