Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

The differences between low and highwings

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

The differences between low and highwings

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 02:55 AM
lekkaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The differences between low and highwings

Hi,

I am doing a presentation about model planes on my school and I need some help. Could you guy please give all the differences between low winged airplanes en high winged airplanes.

I got these allready:

Low High

Stabel Manouvrable
Faster Slower
? ?

thank you by advance
Old 05-14-2002, 05:34 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default High/Low

A high winged plane is more stable - like you hanging from a parallel bar. Low winged plane is like standing on a surfboard - which is balanced on a bowling ball :-)

In full-scale airplanes, visability is a factor - high winged planes are great for passengers, low winged planes good for dog fighting!

Some low-winged planes can be slower than some high-winged ones, but it all depends on the airfoil.

Hope this helps.

Jerry
Old 05-14-2002, 08:59 PM
FHHuber
Banned

There have been several high wing designs built for aerobatic competition. And the Great Planes Slow Poke series will show just how slow and stable some low wing planes can be.

A primary advantage of a high wing plane is visibility of objects below and to the side. Military observation types tend to be high wing. (See: Feisler Storch, Cessna Bird Dog, Cessna O-2A/B)

There is a minor in flight stability advantage to high wing due to the CG being below the wing attachment point, and the entire wing normally being above the CG. (but the B-52... the tips droop below the CG when on the ground...)

Low wing planes have better upward visibility...

There is a ground handling advantage to the low wing planes which don't have a lot of dihedral. The lower CG and lower profile generally make it harder for a gust of wind to flip the plane.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:04 PM
lekkaut

Default thanks

thanks for the info guys, my presentation is tomorrow, I hope everything will go well.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:15 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, how did the presentation go?

Jerry