Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Chat Room

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 01:42 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chat Room

We seem to have a very good core of people here. is there a chat room here somwhere. We could all meet once a week at a specific time. Could be good.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:36 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chat Room

I'd be up for it
Old 09-05-2002, 10:59 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Default Chat Room

Old 09-05-2002, 11:49 PM
ilikeplanes

Default Chat Room

Cyclic Hardover, your handle reminded me of a story regarding a control failure of a 12E that was in the fleet where I used to work.

As the story goes, the bolt holding a collective bell crank fell off the brackets allowing the blades to rotate to full positive pitch against the stops. The helicopter climbed to it's service altitude where it just loitered around threatening to kill the pilot and passenger. The passenger, a helicopter mechanic, diagnosed the problem and deployed his leatherman to gain some control of the helicopter. The needle nose pliers of the tool were used to align the bell crank and bracket. He was apparently standing on a rescue platform while doing this. The helicopter was successfully landed.

Several people corroborated the story. Makes for a good legend anyway.
Old 09-09-2002, 01:04 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Default Chat Room

Thats a good story. I flew several helicopters in the military over the years. One job I had was medevac at Ft Bliss in El Paso.
One day we have to go to Al Pine to pick up a patient. This was a routine thing where
I had the choice of fueling in Van Horn on the way down, go to Alpine and come back to Van Horn again, top it off and head back to El Paso. The other alternative and to save time was to skip it,go to Alpine and fuel in Van Horn on the way back, thus avoiding 1 fuel stop. That day I chose to skip it and fuel on the way back. Well on the way back a squal like wind storm engulfed Van Horn and we/I was screwed.
*My only choice was to head back to El Paso and wing it. Instead of going through the countryside, I headed for the interstate and flew up that. Came across a freeway gas station in Sierra Blanca. Sometimes those places have barrels or fuel around. Nothing.
The loca "Barney Fife" saw what was going on and drove over. Iexplained the mess and he said their was another station in the town on the other side of the freeway. he drove me over, I looked around and we went back.
* Got back in the aircraft, flew it right into the town square next to the gas station and shut it off. Hooked up a bunch of old dry rotted hoses and filled er up with Cheveron Unleaded. it wasn't over yet, This third rate greasy fatboy "wuz not out ta take sum guvment cradit cad.! Now since it was a Chevron card, Barney drove me back to the freeway where I charge $300 on it and he gave me cash to give this clown.
*As long as it sounds the whole situation from the first landing to final takeoff to only 20 minutes. When we got back the Comander took a little bit off my back end for the whole thing. Three weeks later the CO had to eat it when he presented me with a letter of commendation from the General.
*Turns out this patient we had was some local politicians mother or something and the "attaboys" rolled in. This is in the Ft Bliss Monitor archives from around 1983 or 84.