Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Which Edge is Best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 04:12 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Edge is Best?

I am considering a move on my next plane to a highly aerobatic model. I am looking for an Edge of about a 90 size, and am wondering what you all thought would be the best choice in this size. I am not looking for a kit at this point as I am only building my second kit at the present time. I would prefer an ARF at this point, and one of good quality. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh...and in anticipation of your questions, this is my 4th year, I have 6 planes flying, and have had about 10 total. My current fleet includes: Sig Something Extra with a 0S46fx, U Can Do 46 with a Saito 72, 4*60 with a OS91surpass, Ultra Stick 60 with an OS61fx, US Lite with a G-26, and a Tower Voyager for just kicking around with.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:25 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Edge is Best?

I just ordered an Edge 540 from www.vectorflight.com

Do a search for Vectorflight and I think you will like what you find.....

There are others, but this is one I went with

Old 03-16-2005, 06:55 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Hooked,
Well, you're starting to get it right because you're building a Hog Bipe. Now you want an acrobat? Consider an Ultimate Bipe. If you want to build you can do the GP Ultimate 40 size. ARF? Dave Patrick has a 40 size and a 120 size. I've flown the Dave Patrick, man what a great plane to fly!!! Give em a chance. I don't have any experience with an Edge so I'm not help for you there.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:49 PM
hookedonrc

RCKen, I might consider the bipe, but was just doing some thinking about my next move. I still haven't given up on the Carl Goldberg Monster Pitts as a possible as well. I am really just planning my next move, and am trying to keep my options open.

exeter - I have seen the threads on the vectorflight and have read some of the posts. I had this in the back of my mind when I posted the question. I like what I have read so far, and am just trying to cover the bases.

Of course, my list of planes I would like to have is endless anyway... I do know that I am going to want anothe one once I finish my hog bipe, like RCKen has indicated. So many planes, so little time....
Old 03-16-2005, 08:23 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pacific Aeromodels ... seems to be one of the best, I got the 60 sized one and its very well built, gonna maiden mine this weekend.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

One of my buddys just ordered the Vectorflight Edge and i think its an awesome airplane. There really aren't many companys that make a good quality(in all ways) 90 size Edge.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:05 AM
hookedonrc

I just wanted to add a comment on this thread. I have indicated my desire to have an Edge of about the 90 size and have looked at both the Pacific Aeromodel's and Vectorflight versions. I have chosen and edge because after talking to a couple of fliers, they say that the edge flies much easier than a cap or an extra. I would be interested in any comments along those lines on whether or not you are in agreement. I am certainly not stuck on the edge, I am just going from what I have been told. Other high performance planes can also be in the mix if their flight characteristics are similar.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:11 PM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

Hookedonrc & you others as well, I would suggest you taka a look at the Pacific aeromodels Laser 200 if you want a extremely fine flying aerobatic model. It costs a little more but man-o man is it ever a sweet flying plane when you get it in the air! I have one and while it is not a 3D plane (neither is the Vectorflight Edge) it is hands down the best flying precision aerobatic plane I have flown. The wing is two piece so it breaks down nicely and it is also very nicely constructed and Light. One other nice thing about it is the fact that if you build it according to the plans, it actually balances as it is supposed to.

Just an alternative suggestion. I have never heard a bad thing about the Vectorflight planes, other then the chinsy use of plastic in lieu of fiberglass for the cowl and wheelpants.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:21 PM
hookedonrc

cstevec - I will look at the 200. I am not really interested in 3D...mostly aerobatics. I really don't care if a plane will hover and am more interested in snap rolls, aileron rolls, cuban 8's, immelmanns...etc. I like my model planes to do close to what a real one does. I am what is termed a "sport flyer" ...at least that is what the new forum suggests. I like flying all different types of planes, and am not a hard core 3D'er. I am looking for a very aerobatic plane in a 90 size (ARF) that has good flying characteristics. Whether it is an edge, cap, extra, sukhoi, or as rcken suggests another bipe, I am open to it. I just don't want one that has bad tendancies like tip stalls, etc.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:26 PM
3D-kid330

If you want 3D and IMAC, check out the Hangar 9 Edge 27%. It's bigger than a 90, but it flys great.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:41 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Another option, albeit a bit larger as well....., is the Extreme Flight Yak 54
Old 03-17-2005, 04:33 PM
hookedonrc

Hmmm....two good choices it looks like.... I find the H9 Edge at $349.00 and the Yak at $329.00... Either would probably fit the bill. A couple things about the Yak..first, it is sold out [] and I would like something that has a filled in cockpit area so I can put in a pilot and an instrument panel. Not a big deal, but the yak is open at the cockpit area. I suppose I could build in a floor and such, but want to avoid adding any weight.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:54 PM
IShootSharpStix
My Feedback: (4)

The EF YAK 54 is currently sold out. I have talked to them and they are expecting a new shipment in June. So, although it would appear to be a bit of a wait, from all accounts on RCU it would seem to be well worth the wait... Sounds like an excellent bird (and yes I am on the waiting list)
Old 03-18-2005, 09:28 AM
hookedonrc

Well, after careful consideration, which includes the amount of green in my wallet, here is the list of the finalists for my next plane. I haven't started thinking about power plants yet, but that will be more productive once I have settled on which plane. If I were to pick the monster pitts, I would like to consider a G-26 for the engine (the one with electronic ignition) but would need more information on whether or not that would be a good idea. I was originally considering a Saito 180 for the plane. (Yes, I have read chickenstickrick's thread and still have not decided.) RCKen, I am sure you will be pleased that two bipes are in the final cut. So it is just a matter of deciding what and when. (BTW - These are not in any particular order.)

1. Laser 200 ARF - $299.00
2. Vectorflight Edge 540 ARF - $149.00
3. DP Ultimate ARF - $399.00
4. CG Monster Pitts - $399.00

Although the Vectorflight ARF is only $149.00, the other costs are in line with what my budget will allow. Just gotta get past my son's college graduation in May, then maybe, it's just a matter of what order I buy all of them in
Old 03-18-2005, 10:47 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Hooked,
The last DP Ultimate I bought I got from Mike's in OKC (Mike McMurty) and he had it priced at $369. He's pretty good about giving competitive prices, you might call him and see what he can do on the price.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:22 AM
cstevec

Hooked,

Glad to see the Laser made the list. One last piece of sound advice I'll give ya. I am a big believer in Saito engines, I have just about every single cylinder they make and several of some of them. Powerwise, there is not that much of a difference between the 1.50 and a 1.80. I have both and while I won't say that there isn't a difference, I will say that it isn't much. When it comes to cost and fuel consumption on the other hand, thats another story. I have a couple of 1.50's, only one 1.80. I just never could see the advantage of the bigger Saito after I got my first 1.50. (I bought the 1.80 first). The best prop for either engine in an aerobatic plane (in my opinion) is the APC 17X6, and on 15% fuel there is only a couple hundred rpm difference in them.

I fly my Laser with a Saito 1.20 and it does it all, but like I said the airplane is very light for its size.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:40 AM
hookedonrc

RCKen - I am through OKC quite a bit on my trips to Norman (Son in school there) and will contact Mike when and if I get the ultimate. Thanks for the tip. BTW-The costs I listed were just on a short investigation on the net. I figured that I could get better deals after looking around a while.

cstevec - I am with you on the Saito engines. I own a 72 and am buying a 100 GK today for my Hog Bipe that is under construction. I guess the only draw back that I was considering was the fuel consumption, especially on the 180. If I decide on the Laser though, I will consider the 150 for the powerplant.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:09 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hooked - I got the Laser 200 (72" ), about to get her up when I am not so lazy. The plane is well built, I call is a put together plane, we do not build it as most of it has been done. I fitted a TT120 2C to mine and it will be giving me unlimited verticals for sure. The plane will be about 10.5 lbs and the TT120 should give me about 14-15 lbs thrust. I did not really like the wood used (not as bad as VMARs) but they are solid I must say. Wait till you see the hardware that they give you.

As said I also have the Edge 540 from PacAero ... the Edge has better quality wood. Both are great looking planes and they are sold in Singapore by the factory under its own name, Green Models, its cheap here, the Edge was like USD190 and the Laser 200 for only USD205.

This is the only plane in Asia that I have seen where its cheaper than in the US. The shop selling them is pretty small and he is not selling them well due to presentation of packaging etc. Too bad that he will not bring anymore but I hear someone in Malaysia is going to bring them. If he does it will be good access to cheap quality planes.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:43 PM
hookedonrc

Thanks tIANci - I wish I could get a look at the wood BEFORE I hand over my money for any plane. I am leaning toward the laser at the moment, but I get wishy washy when I think about the Monster Pitts. I probably wasn't really kidding when I said I might have to buy all of them. I am in the middle of a hog bipe build at the moment ( I am doing a build thread in the kit forum) and have time to consider my options. Maybe I will get lucky and see a Laser close up before I am ready to buy. We have a fun fly coming up at our club on Memorial Day and it usually brings in about 60 pilots and I think we have a member that has the laser.

RCKEN - BTW you and any friends you want to bring along are certainly invited to the Memorial Day event if you want to come. Oh and anyone else in the NE Oklahoma area that would like a fun day. This is an annual event and we all have a great time.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:33 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Hooked,
That might be tempting. Have you got any info on the event? I'll take it to the field and see what everybody thinks!
Old 03-19-2005, 08:49 AM
hookedonrc

Ken,
Nothing yet on the event, but it usually starts around 9:00am and runs through to 4pm officially. Although, most of us make a day of it. I have a canopy that I take to the field and you and anyone who might join you are free to share. I usually have a couple of others that share the area, but jobs have moved them away. I can guarantee a good spot since I will get there early to set up. We have food and all pilots will get fed for free. No entry fee is required either. Just show up with your planes and your AMA card. We have a paved runway, grass runway, and covered assembly areas. It is a good day, and if you want directions from OKC, I can fill you in. It's pretty simple from were you are coming from. Here is our website and it has pictures of the field on it.

Almost forgot to mention - It is on the holiday (Monday)

http://www.americanturfflyers.com
Old 04-13-2005, 01:57 PM
hookedonrc

Just a quick update on my selection of a new plane. I must be crazy, I am in the middle of a Sig Hog Bipe build, have 6 other planes ready to fly, and I just can't seem to stop myself...Tower Hobbies really made my choice easy...they are having a sale and any purchase of over $400 gets you a $40 discount. Soooo...I ordered the Goldberg Monster Pitts'.

Ken, I thought you might like my choice.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:10 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: hookedonrc

Ken, I thought you might like my choice.
You got that one right!!. Good pick.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:13 PM
hookedonrc

I am going to put an MVVS 1.60 on it, but will have to wait a little while since I just emptied my hobby budget.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:33 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Hooked,
Yep, I totally understand about the hobby budget. There never seems to be enough budget to go around does there??

[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.