Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

3 d flying alerts local air rescue and search party in northeast PA

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

3 d flying alerts local air rescue and search party in northeast PA

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 09:10 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3 d flying alerts local air rescue and search party in northeast PA

it started out as a few members getting together at thier NEW field to get some flying in after work, turned out , being such a nice day about a dozen members came out to fly, about a mile off to the far left you can see the interstate, around 7 pm, you can hear sirens on the highway, interstate being under constructrion, we thought there was an accident, well, next thing we noticed the fire truck was now pulling into our field, it's a rough road about 1/2 mile to the pitts, fire truck gets there and the fireman asks if we have seen any aircraft go down, then look at the pit area, and says, no it cant be, here what happened, someone driving down the interstate saw one of the members flying his 35% edge doing his 3d stunts, called 911 and said they saw a plane go down in the wooded area, next thing we new , firetrucks, and even a helicopter was hovering over this area. one of the fireman/ actually a firewomen pulled out thier video camera and taped our member do a demo flight with the edge.

may this happen again, I have never seen a fire truck pull to a scenewhere there were mostly women in the firetruck. lol

mark
Old 05-17-2005, 10:25 PM
OnTheEdge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3 d flying alerts local air rescue and search party in northeast PA

Wish we had a camera to take a picture of the fire truck at the field Mark. We'll be talking about this one for a while!

.............Mark
Old 05-18-2005, 06:36 AM
scottrc

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

LOL - I heard another story about this happening with a giant scale some time back. I can't remember if it was here at RCU or I read it somewhere. Anyway, did the press come too? They usually have scanners and a call about a plane going down sends them comming.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:56 AM
OnTheEdge

No, the press wasn't there. (we are thinking that was a good thing) As soon as the fire truck arrived they called the comm center to report that it was in fact a large model airplane and no crash. The press was busy with election day yesterday, other wise they might have made a story about the "false alarm".

........Mark
Old 05-18-2005, 10:04 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

We've actually had a real plane land at our field. He was deadstick and saw our runway even with the X's at the end. Once he got close and realized people were on the edge he stuck it in the grass on the far side of the run way, ripped out the nose gear. They had a crane and flatbed out that afternoon to pick it up.

A pilot (who used to crash a LOT) was flying at the time and lost concentration and crashed, understandabley enough. He wanted to try and get the pilot to pay for his plane!
Old 05-18-2005, 10:12 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

We used to fly at a small grass strip runway. Whenever a full scale needed to land we got out of the way in a hurry for him. One day a full scale came in to land, taxied off to the side of the strip, shut off his motor and climbed out. We thought he was going to yell at us for not getting out of his way fast enough. Instead he open plane and pulled out a GP Ultimate and asked if he could fly with us for awhile!! How cool. After that he gave a few of us some airtime in he Cessna!!
Old 05-19-2005, 11:36 AM
TailTouch
My Feedback: (54)

Which field was this ???

Is it giant scale friendly

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:39 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

this field is giant scale friendly, electric friendly, turbine friendly, and even the members are friendly. just minutes from the intersection of rt 80 and rt 93, near st johns PA

mark
Old 05-19-2005, 07:43 PM
OnTheEdge

ORIGINAL: TailTouch

Which field was this ???

Is it giant scale friendly

Thanks.
We're inviting a bunch of Imac guys to come up this Saturday (5/21) to fly and see if the field lends itself well to a possible Imac meet. We're pretty sure it will but it presents an excuse to get out and fly.

Why don't you come on up? You're about a 2 hr drive away. jTake the N.E. extension to I80, head west about 15 minutes rt 93. The field is about 10 minutes from there.

Send me a p-mail and I can send you directions to the field from there

.........Mark
Old 05-20-2005, 08:23 AM
rcflyguy_26
My Feedback: (8)

How close is this to Clearfeild?

Scott
Old 05-20-2005, 08:39 AM
OnTheEdge

ORIGINAL: rcflyguy_26

How close is this to Clearfeild?

Scott

Long ways, (about 6 hr drive). We're over by the southwest corner of the Poconos.