Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

frozen finger fly

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 12:07 AM
doug l

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frozen finger fly

spent 7 hrs at field today flying my 1/4
scale anderson kingfisher off the snow.
we had 23 flyers...no radio problems...
no crashes...hot dogs,chili,real hot..
hot chocalate...coffee,lots of coffee.
lots of snow and....oh yah..-17 deg.
by 5;00 pm we were turning blue.
what a great day.
Old 01-02-2002, 02:35 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Very impressive! I whine like a baby when its cold.
Old 01-02-2002, 03:39 AM
Mr. Wildcat

Default Illinois flying

The fingers stop hurting after they freeze. Warming them up today can be a pain. For some reason couldn't get my engine to run too well. I richened up the high end significantly and noticed that the cold weather seemed to make the prop unload so much that 400 rpm shy of max lean rpm on the ground wasn't enough. Don't know if it was the cold weather or the fact that one it got real hot at full throttle, it would lean out.

Anyway, engine took forever to start and was so tight that my Dynatron on 12V had trouble turning my .68 over. Here is what I did today to get it running. I loosened the glow plug several turns to allow some compression to escape. This "compression relief" allowed my start and near dead 12V battery to spin the engine fast enough for it to start. While running, I tightened the glow plug and let her warm up. Once warmed up she had no problem starting by hand.

Anybody had any good cold weather running tips? I was using a 20/20 fuel with an MDS engine that normally runs perfect. I richened the low end needle so it could transition without dying. However, carb seemed to be inconsistent the remainder of my flights. Flyer next to me in the pit had same problem with his OS 46FX.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2002, 12:04 AM
doug l

hi wildcat.
i run nothing but gas...no problem.. every-one had problems with their small engines. you really haveto richen up in cold weather.
i always bring ether..starting fluid..
one small sprits and one flip and they run...no waiting for freq pins..waiting for starting fluid...ha ha
just don,t go overboard with it.
enjoy