Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Allergies/irritants and cures

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Allergies/irritants and cures

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 09:06 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allergies/irritants and cures

I'm just returning to the hobby after being otherwise occupied since the mid eighties. Before I didn't have any problems but now CA and sanding dust is really giving my sinuses fits. Besides better ventilation has anyone else found anything to alleviate these problems. I tried a dust mask this past weekend but it was a cheapy and didn't fit very well causing my glasses to steam with every breath. Plus it was just plain uncomfortable. I know one of the guys in my club actually does his sanding at the field but I'm not going to stand out in the cold this winter and sand airplanes. I have a rather large pile of kits to build this winter and working for one day and being sick the next three isn't going to get them done come spring. I have a Dr. appt Friday to see what he suggests. I could also run any ideas others may have past him when I go.
So, what are your solutions, besides assembling ARFs.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:23 PM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

One way to help you with the CA problem is to buy oderless CA... It's touch more expensive but know that it works great if you can't use the regular stuff.

I don't really know how to help with the sanding problem. When I sand anything, I have had my shopvac on and next to what I'm sanding. It does a good job of keeping the bench clean, and the dust storm to a minimum. I fix the hose to the ceiling, and make it reach down to the bench. This keeps it out of my way, maneuverable, and close to the sanding process.

I don't have any reactions, so I can't tell you it this would work or not... just an idea
Old 01-08-2002, 12:15 AM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CA & Balsa dust

Balsa Dust can be filtered very well (>98%) with a good quality mask. I would not recommend running a shopvac unless it is exhausted outside. It will only spread more of the smaller particles into the air (the stuff you can't see but react to).

In addition your physician my have you try a nasal inhaled steroid. They work well but can be expensive. Make sure you tell the physician you are sick for three days after working on a kit, and what symptoms you are having during this time.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:48 AM
Dzlstunter

One thing that helps a bit is to use duct tape to put a common furnace filter on the "intake" side of a cheap box fan. You will be surprised at how much stuff the fan will remove from the air. This is not a complete cure to the problem, however. IMHO, a dust mask is almost essential if you are going to sand balsa indoors. As for the glues, you might be surprised at how much you can eliminate CyA from your building by substituting Titebond II (or some other water-based glue) in most "Cya application" situations. A cheapo syringe from a farm supply store will place the glue exactly where you want it, and if you plan your building so that you can work on more than one part at a time, the stuff will set up fast enough to keep you going. (Cheaper, too.)
Old 01-08-2002, 01:22 PM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

Default dust

My wife had the balsa dust allergy. A poster on RCO sent me pictures and plans of a sanding table he made. It is a wood box covered with peg board attached to a dust collection system. If you are interested, send me an email and I will try to find the plans and take a few pictures. The total cost was only around $300 (mostly for the dust collector). It works very well.

Mark