Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Top Flite Cessna 182

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite Cessna 182

TF 182 was one of the first kits I built (number 2 I believe it was)- seeing your pictures brings back memories- thanks.

As one of my first builds, I built it way too heavy, so it TOs and landings were real fast, and it had nasty stall characteristics. Be sure to include some wash out in the wings if you haven't already.

Another tidbit- the TF cockpit kit was a disappointment- go another route if you can.

- George
Old 10-29-2002, 02:57 AM

Paul, did you make your own cockpit or did you use the one from top flite?
Old 10-29-2002, 05:29 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adam,

I have found this thread interesting as I have both the TF Cessna 182 and the Wendell Hostetler Cessna 182.

I bought the plan from Wendell and the kit from Larry Picona (sp?) at Precision Cut Kits. This is a 27% aircraft with a 120" wing span. I've got about $2000 in it so far including the engine a 3W70B2 Twin that fits in the cowl. I bought the scale nose gear for both kits but the one for the Hostetler kit cost $375, The fiberglass cowl wheel pants, and wind shield was another $160 the main landing gear was $25, oh, the kit was $375 and the plans were $45. I dropped $900 for the engine and mufflers not to mention the finishing materials that I have not purchased yet. I plan to use the Flight Metal product to reproduce the panels from the full scale model.

I do plan to do the opening doors and will detail the cockpit and instrumentation. I have not started on it yet but will most likely start some time this winter after I finish putting together my GP Patty Wagstaff Extra 300S.

The big ones get real expensive real fast. If somebody would have told me that I would have told me last year that I would have invested this much in a model I would have told them they were nuts. But when the bug bites...

Andy
Old 10-29-2002, 05:25 PM

If you want to do the Top Flite Cessna, a good engine might be the Saito 60 twin. I'm not sure if it'll fit in the cowl though. I'm considering one for my Cessna since the 91 Surpass is just way too much engine. I've posted some pics. See my gallery for more.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	32916_16824.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	19986  
Old 10-30-2002, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by AndyF
I bought the plan from Wendell and the kit from Larry Picona (sp?) at Precision Cut Kits. This is a 27% aircraft with a 120" wing span. I've got about $2000 in it so far including the engine a 3W70B2 Twin that fits in the cowl. I bought the scale nose gear for both kits but the one for the Hostetler kit cost $375, The fiberglass cowl wheel pants, and wind shield was another $160 the main landing gear was $25, oh, the kit was $375 and the plans were $45. I dropped $900 for the engine and mufflers not to mention the finishing materials that I have not purchased yet. I plan to use the Flight Metal product to reproduce the panels from the full scale model.

Wow! That is expensive. You could buy 5 Top Flite Cessna 182's with that cost. 900 for just the engine? What kind of engine is it, a jet engine? 375 for just the cowling???!!! The stupid cowling costs more than the Top Flite kit. It would be foolish of be to spend all that (hope I'm not making you feel too bad here.) Thanks for telling me. I guess I'm not going the Wendell plans route. I guess when you have to buy your own stuff for the plans, thats when it gets expensive. 120" is way to large to for me anyway. I don't really have allot of room to spare in my house or in my car. I've decided to just go with the Top Flite Cessna 182. I still wish I could find a gasoline engine that would fit inside the cowling without anything hanging out. Are there any ones out there in the TF Cessna's range of engine sizes?
Old 10-30-2002, 05:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TF Interior

Adam,
The elements that i used from the TF interior kit are as follows:
I used the armrests, the seats and the aft cabin wall piece.
Everything else was scratched. The problem, for me, was that the TF kit
is meant to conform to the inside of a stock-built kit, with wide formers, etc.
A full-scales' interior follows the contour and curvature, so it would not work.
Here's a shot of the door jam on the pilot side door. You can see a portion of the armrest.

Name:	33064_2292.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	19987  
Old 10-30-2002, 05:10 PM

Here is a shot of the seats. They are now too small because of the extra room created by following the contour of the fuse. BTW, all formers in the cabin area have their inside diameter greatly increased and are doubled. Meaning the thickness of the fuse walls (from outside skin to interior) is very scale.
In a full-scale Cessna, you'd be hard pressed to get your hand between the seats, or seats and side panels. In mine, a scale guy could almost walk through these areas :-)

Name:	33067_2292.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	19988  
Old 10-30-2002, 05:23 PM

Default The Best Part

Here is the most impressive part of my model...to me anyway.

Name:	33069_2292.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	19989  
Old 10-31-2002, 12:06 AM

The way you have your doors open is just like the real 182. I looked at one yesturday (real Cessna 182 at my flying club) and I saw how it opened. It looks simple but the part that goes inside the door will be tricky. How do you make the latch to hold the door close and when you have to open it, do you pull on the little handle on the door just like in the real one?

Wow! That sure is a funny looking dummy pilot you used for your plane What is he made out of? Plastic? Wood?
Old 10-31-2002, 02:54 AM

Adam,

Like you the 182 has always been my favorite airplane. I can't tell you why it just is.

The engine is a 3W70B2 a big twin gas engine (big for me anyway), I paid $850 for the engine and mufflers, plus shipping and a mount it added up to $900. The cowl, wheel pants, and windshield were $160 not $375.

No, I don't feel foolish, I am quite content with my purchases. This is a labor of love and has been a dream of mine since I was 14, 30 years ago. My intent is that it will be every bit as finely detailed as Paul's only much bigger.

I also have the Top Flight kit, I bought it three years ago. I haven't built it yet, but will before I start the Hostetler 182. I also have the Hanger 9 182 ARF which I fly with a Saito 90 up front.

I started drawing 1/6 scale version of this airplane when I was 14 using a pantograph to scale up a scale drawing of the airplane that I got at an air show.

14 was also the age that started flying RC airplanes, I could not afford to buy much in those days, at 18 I took about 22 years off from the sport, but when I came back, I came back with a desire to finish that dream and I'm living it.

Foolish? Heck no, I loving life!

Andy
Old 11-13-2002, 12:46 PM

I,m with you Andy. I started building when I was about the same age and learned to do things with little money. The first real kit I built was a Nosen 1/4 scale Citabria and I still have it. At the time 1/4 scale was very rare and it was quite an undertaking, not to mention the poor quality of the kit. This was all a good learning tool for me. Now that I have 15 or 20 years of building on me and an income I too can relate to the big birds and their associated expense. I'm a bit of a giant scale snob though, as I find little pleasure flying little whipper snappers around like mosquitos. The big birds just don't get beat up and bullied by the air like the little guys do.
I have several of Wendell Hostetler's plans and highly recommend them. I am currently building his 33% super decathlon, 25% Cessna 182, 1/3 scale edo floats and if I have time this winter I want to convert his Cessna 206 to a 185 for floats.

Adam the Hostetler 182 does have operating door and sport scale details are on plans. If you are going to go to the trouble of fine scale detail, you might as well do it in giant scale. Sure the base costs will be higher but the larger wing area will carry the weight of the details without flinching and the custom made parts will not need to be made with a magnifying glass. As for the cost of going larger, ask these guys with the fine scale detail how many hours they have in the project. The number will be in the hundreds, for the detailing alone. If you factor in a value for your time you will see that the base aircraft cost is secondary. If and when you crash it isn't the money that hurts it's the time. In fact I would second the earlier post and say , if you want to fly regularly build your 182 to 3 foot wow scale. Add details here and there so that the non top gun builder will still appreciate your efforts but you can still fly it without taking a Valium.

At least that's my opinion.

Lee
Old 11-27-2002, 11:06 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Default cessna pics

how do you do multi pictures kind of new at this.

Robert
Old 11-28-2002, 01:10 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: The Best Part

Originally posted by SDCrashmaster
Here is the most impressive part of my model...to me anyway.
And I can certainly understand why, A beautiful replication of the 'David Clarks'. Now that is detail

John
Old 12-05-2002, 12:01 AM

Adam,

You asked some time ago if anyone has put a RCS140 into the Top Flight 182, I have. The model is near completion. The engine is mounted at a inverted 45deg angle and only the top of the cylinder head and spark plug cap extend out of the cowl. I think for a model like this which will be flown that the heat factor comes into effect and this will cool better. Believe me I tried to enclose the engine but the cowl just isn't big enough. This engine is stupidly overpowered for this plane, but I wanted to go gas. I have pictures if you want. If you reply I will send a couple of shots.

John Hayes

Name:	39242_20865.jpg
Views:	1713
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	19990