Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Digital cameras and video recording to PC

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Digital cameras and video recording to PC

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 11:48 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital cameras and video recording to PC

I have just bought a Sharp Digital 8 video camera. It uses a memory card for stills and a miniDV tape for video. I was told it would do what I was after, namely still shots and video to post on the net. After getting home and looking it over, It only will transfer stills direct to my pc. Do I need a different camera or an addon board for my pc. I have heard of a board for recording video and audio to pc but they were rather expensive if I remember correctly. What's the best route here? My pc doesn't have a firewire card so maybe even if I get the right camera I'll still have to get more stuff for the pc.
Help me out here if you can
Thanks,,,basmntdweller
Old 11-10-2002, 09:40 PM
Joss Stick
My Feedback: (1)

Default Glad this was opened back up

I recently purchased an ATI video card for my computer that allows video and audio in. As soon as I get a VCR hooked to it I'll be able to capture video. I'm not sure of the model number, but if you search the web for ATI, I'm sure they have a website. Perhaps this would be the answer to what you want to do.

Here is the website. I found it after I posted:

http://www.atitech.ca/
Old 11-10-2002, 10:17 PM
JGFAN4EVER1
My Feedback: (5)

If you have rca outputs on your camera you could go get you a DAZZLE video capture device that plugs into your USB port and use it. You can also connect it to a vcr and record videos from a tape or tv onto your pc. Its fairly cheap compared to a new video card, its something like 60 dollars or so. And it works rather well. You might look into getting better software to compress the video but it would work for transfering video to your computer.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:01 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

It's much cheaper to buy a Firewire card. That and a cable will cost less than $40 (probably a lot less) and will work far better than any analog capture device. It's designed to move the massive amounts of data from miniDV, and with editing software will be able to control the camera's import without you doing anything. The quality of the video is much better as well.

For the most part, USB and low-end video capture cards are meant for capturing video that is meant for web use. The quality is low enough that you'd not really want to watch it on a TV. If you've already spent the money on a miniDV camcorder, you might as well get the benefits of it.

Do any of you tape much out at the flying field? I have a lot of fun with it. Occasionally you catch interesting moments. http://homepage.mac.com/mikel5150/iMovieTheater5.html
Old 11-11-2002, 12:52 AM
basmntdweller

That is my intent, to tape flying sequences. I picked up a firewire card and cable today for about $60. Unfortunately, I took some stills today with the camcorder and was really disappointed in the quality. After a bit more investigation, I found that even the best consumer camcorders max out at about 1.0 megapixel. I have posted from my HP digital camera here on RCU and have not been very happy with the quality. It is a 2.0 megapixel camera. So, after all this I took the camcorder back and I'm looking at a Nikon 4.0 megapixel camera that has limited movie capabilities. It will do much better quality stills and I think do well enough to show most flying sequences I may try to do. I may get a miniDV camcorder sometime down the line but I'll save up for one of the better ones.
Thanks,,,basmntdweller
Old 11-11-2002, 12:57 AM
MikeL

I've found that any camcorder used for stills is a compromise, and any still camera used for video is a compromise. Neither is designed to do the other's job.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:01 AM
MikeL

$60?! That's pretty expensive. Most mail order places have a card for about $20, and a cable for $10 or so. I know places like Best Buy make huge margins on their cables, charging 2 or 3 times what a more specialized store will.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:02 AM
basmntdweller

Agreed, right now the stills are more important. The camcorder will have to wait. Maybe tax time will provide me with some extra funds.
basmntdweller
Old 11-11-2002, 02:25 AM
Scotty740

basmntdweller,

Skip the Nikon. I am a long time dedicated Nikon user. Over the last 40 years I've owned many high end Nikons used in my photography business. For film cameras and lenses they can't be beat in my opinion. At least in 35mm. I've taken shots with a Linhoff 4X5 that would knock your socks off.....

I purchased a Nikon Coolpix 5000 and was really dissatisfied with it. I returned it and bought a Sony 717 that had good ratings. Pictures are sharper, have better color saturation and white balance with the Sony. I'm very happy with it.

Nikon makes great film cameras but just haven't gotten the digital end down yet. The Sony has excellent electronics and digital features and add a Carl Zeiss lens you have a winner. The zoom range is nice too. Check out www.dpreview.com for lots of digital cam info.

I should have known to go with Sony from the pro digital video equipment that I have but, as I said I thought Nikons were great for stills. Not so in the digital market. Look at the Sony line and you won't be disappointed.