Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC nut moving to Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Kirk RC
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC nut moving to Michigan

Guys,
I am moving to the Michigan Tri-cities area (Midland-Saginaw-Bay City) from Salt Lake City. I fly 1/5 and 1/7 scale warbirds plus assorted Acro stuff from 1.0-1.8 four stroke to 40-80 size gas. I mostly build but have a few ARF's as well. I have been flying for about 20 years mostly off of paved runways as that is what was available at most of the clubs in the areas Ive lived. Looking at the RCU club locater I see Bay City has a club and I think Saginaw does as well. Any of you guys have any first hand experience flying in the tri-cities? Any help/info is very much appreciated as I really need to find a new home for the squadron.
Cheers,
KirkRC
Old 12-02-2005, 12:34 PM
RedWing

Default RE: RC nut moving to Michigan

Hi KirkRC,

I'm not from that area, I am NW of Detroit. I just want to welcome you to Michigan.

Today's forcast:

Snow Showers
hi 28°F - lo 19°F

If you like to build, the winter time is great for that.

Good luck with the move and finding a club.

Bill
Old 12-02-2005, 01:25 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I'm a bit further south...near Monroe.. I went flying yesterday... in a snow storm!!!

Weeee..

Not flown up there, but there are many good pilots in the area...
stop in anytime!
Old 12-02-2005, 11:11 PM
GPutt33

Hi Kirk - I just moved back home to Wyoming from NW Ohio, 5+ year hitch. You'll love it out there as far as RC. You've got clubs having event all over the place, and yours and my idea of driving time and distance is a little bit different from most folks from back East. NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE, Please. It's just so cotton picken far between towns out here that we usually don't measure distance in miles, but rather hours

Here is one of the best ways to find RC Clubs in any area. It's Bill Lee's AMA Club Locator tool. The link for it is, [link=http://www.ama-dist-8.org/Clubs/Locator.php]Club Locator[/link]. I used the Saginaw zip code of 48601 with a 50 mile radius and ended up with 14 clubs popping up.

Good luck in your move and enjoy the flying. Your also going to enjoy the added horses in all your engines due to the elevation change of Salt Lake at approx. 4300 ft to around 600 ft in Saginaw. I experienced a little bit of the opposite effect moving back home, and so I've had to retune most of the engines and increased the nitro......... Also look into going to the annaul Jets over Michigan in Grosse Isle, awesome demonstration of some beautiful jets from all over the US and abroad.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Kirk RC

Greg,
Thanks so much for the info. I looked up the clubs and saw alot of good stuff. Im sure the flying in Mich. will be great, plus the increased power is a plus.
Happy Holidays,
Kirk
Old 12-11-2005, 10:54 AM
GPutt33

Glad the website was of use. Hopefully a few other folks who have read the thread have tried it as well

Have a Great Christmas and good luck to you in the New Year
Old 12-11-2005, 08:20 PM
CP140

If you don't mind, we "RC Nut"s prefer the term "RC Enthusiast" !
Old 12-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to make the Warbirds Over Grand Ledge in June!! You will love it, about a two hour drive from Flint.