Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

How did you get into Rc flying?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

How did you get into Rc flying?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 12:13 AM
CanopyFx
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you get into Rc flying?

I am all for painting flames. Check out my site. I think anything looks good with flames
www.canopyfx.com
Old 04-05-2002, 02:00 AM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

Default Caddy Profile

This is a 1:1 scale Caddy profile funfly. Just right for your flame job!
Old 04-05-2002, 02:53 PM
Billy Hell

Default Caddy Funfly

Tell me if you could work your magic on this...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7665_2779.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1778  
Old 04-05-2002, 04:15 PM
CanopyFx
My Feedback: (6)

I think you should put a tail hook on that thing. All of my air plane work is going to my new shop.

I could not resist
Joe
Old 04-05-2002, 04:49 PM
Mode1
My Feedback: (10)

As a child I often watched airplanes takeoff and land at the airport near my house. I Built paper airplanes. Then wood solid models. Next came 1/2a control line models. I saw a flight of a free flight model one summer and went full bore into that aspect of the hobby. Radio control seemed a natural progression and soon followed. Highwing, midwing, lowwing. Pattern. Imac. Funfly stuff. Both my sons started flying rc at a young age. Their interest comes and goes but my interest never wained. Always something new to try and more nice people to meet.
Old 04-07-2002, 01:56 PM
Mort-RCU

:stupid:
Old 04-07-2002, 04:32 PM
nchrome

Default Getting started and hooked

I had been interested if flying ever sence age thirteen but never could afford it at that time. While in the military flew ucontrol for a very short while. Thengot into orther hobbies then back to airplanes in 91 been there sence and never plan on giving up. Have quite a few planes in my hanger B-17,B-25,A-26,AT-6,P-51,Citabra Something extra.4*40,4*60, HP200(gas),2 STRyans,Smith miny bypes,Lazy Bee,StaggerBee,Voyager, Cub,and the list goes on and on on on on Running out of room for us to live in the house. But there's a corner over there that's empty.
Old 04-07-2002, 08:21 PM
Texan
My Feedback: (10)

How did I first get into r/c flying?

Well, all I can say is there was touching!

TX
Old 04-08-2002, 02:07 AM
Billy Hell

Say what?
Old 04-10-2002, 08:04 PM
BingoFlyer

I started out with U-control and Free Flight in the early 50's.

In '53 I built my first R/C plane and built the transmitter/receiver in a High School Electronics class. The equipment then was not very good a CW signal from the transmitter and a regenertive receiver and lots af batteries. Oh, let's not forget the rubber powered excapement.

My FF expirence helped a lot as I refere to the early R/C ans a Free Flight that was ocassionaly interfered with by a radio signal. My first multi channeled radio was a Bramco eight ch (Gave only 4 controls as each control required 2 ch.) and contained 8 relays that must have weighed an once each.

I don't remember when Bonner came out with their servo that had a amplifier in it so the relays could be eleiminated but was a blessing.

Got my first proportional radio in the earl 60s, it cost more of the 60s $ than entry level radios of today and were not nearly as good!
Old 04-11-2002, 08:37 PM
DF_Flyer

It was so long ago that I can't even remember why I got into the hobby. I guess I have always loved flying. Either that or my mind is going. Probably the latter.
Old 04-29-2002, 04:05 AM
Abram

When I was 5 i had my first Cox CL Model, stupid cox engines run 2 times perfectly then die. Since then i was hooked on airplanes, i bought more cl models, then my first RC Model (a tail dragger) BIG mistake, never did get it in the air. (it took a cox engine) I was about 10 at the time. Bought my second RC Model (duraplane 40) at 13 and flew it (without instructor) bought 2nd duraplane 40 i was 15, flew it perfectly then on 5th flight big wind gust pushed it into the 30ft trees. I also have a max ST and recently bought a heli (check signature)
Old 04-29-2002, 06:35 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How did I get into RC?

I flew Free Flight gliders (Jetco) from the time I was 6 years old until I was 17 and got a summer job.

With the summer job money I decided I didn't want to chase planes anymore so I bought my first radio (Kraft 5 channel) for $350 and my first RC model (TF Headmaster and Enya .29).

Total cost was over $500 for a 5 channel radio (absolutely no bells or whistles) and a small plane. Boy have times changed since 1972!

Ah, memories

Don
Old 05-01-2002, 07:18 PM
david93073
My Feedback: (1)

it all started in 1996 when I bought a rc-10 and srarted racing rc offroad, it esculated all the way to 1/8 scale offroad, (now thats racing) I was also interested in flying but no time, finally last summer I bought an avistar w/ os .46fx and I love it I dont know whats next, helis or jets
Old 10-24-2008, 10:55 PM
skywarp1

Default RE: How did you get into Rc flying?

Well, as a young-n I always had an airforce of balsa and foam hand throw gliders. Everytime I went to the Safeway with my mom I begged her to buy me a 65 cent glider. I had all kinds, balsa throwers, balsa gliders with rubberband motors, some with landing gear, balsa sandwiched inbetween foam gliders. I always loved aircraft. Now fast forward many years and I am in the USAF stationed in Nevada. I fellow airman has a .40 size trainer ( I think that was the size I didn't know any better then) RC on the order of a Tower Trainer 40 or so. He sells it to me for I belive it was $70 or $80 including a radio and fuel, and all the basics I need to go with it. He was trying to get money so he could buy what he needed for this flyng wing kit he wanted to build. On the weekends I would take the plane out in the parking lot of our barracks and taxi it around and when my buddy had time to go out and instruct me we would hit one of the dry lake beds and go flying. I had fun but at that time I had so many things going on I never got fully into. So 12 years later (2006) I rediscover the hobby through a friend of mine with a sweet TF Corsair he built. I go and buy a TF Spitfire and start building then realize it has been years since I have flown and I need to refresh, more like learn all over again. So I go and buy an electric trainer, had so much fun with it that now I have just gone crazy with electrics and have been enjoying the hobby since.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:46 AM
BillyGoat

Well this has got to be pretty close to a record... A thread brought SIX years out of the archives.

Good to see people are using the search function.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Live Wire

BillyGoat
Some times it is great to look back. When we get older we like to remember things, some can't[:@]
I started in the early 40's with carving drift wood planes, then control line when I was in 6th grade and RC in the 50's, It's been a long time And a great and rewarding hobby.
Larry
Old 10-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting thread. My father has always loved airplanes, but he never acted on his love when I was aobut 15 my father bought me an 4 stroke engine for an rc plane, that was around 1987, he did not know anything about rc and just got me hooked, but were were not able to really get things going, he then bought me a plane that was called old reliable, don't knwo what kind of plane it was, from what I remeber it was cub like. I crashed that plane and a couple more, then gave up the hobby for many years. I slowly have gotten back into the hobby, but it is tough with a 4year old and a 6 month old, but I try to buy bargins and fly as much as I can.

That is my story and I am sticking to it

Jon
Old 10-25-2008, 05:41 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My dad was in the hobby, so I grew up with it. I was about 10 years old before I realized that not everyone had a basement full of planes!

Old 10-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Southern Saint

Basement??? Haven't seen one of those since I grew up a Yooper! Go Packers!!!! [sm=devious.gif]

I started out with C/L as a young pup with a friend of mine. Was able to get good with R/C planes that the elders flew at the field. Dad saved my C/L Banshee and I have started my twin sons with that. Wife and I are looking at a TH 40 or 60 for X-mas. Was given a RDS 8000 for a welcome home present from my vacation over the pond.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:47 AM
Tommygun

My father built a Bridi/RCM "Trainer 60" with an OS black head .60 about 30 years ago when I was real little. He even had a Kraft radio system to go with it, yet never installed it. I grew up with that airplane being around, since his eyesight deteriorated to a point where he realized flying it would've been fatal to the plane. Every Saturday during the summer we'd hear a faint buzzing off in the distance while working in the yard- a distinctive noise that came from a small club that congregated at the local sports field. We'd go down to watch them. Seems like we still talk about some of the planes from that field back then. These guy put a lot of effort into their airplanes, which I'm assuming was the standard back in the pre-ARF days. I cannot remember anything better from that age than going down to the field with my dad to watch those guys fly, it was that great. I eventually did fly the RCM trainer, after flying (and crashing) many other models during my self taught flight course. It was a rock solid plane in the air, and having a fully symmetrical wing was quite aerobatic. It's still in my parent's basement today, but I'm too afraid to fly it as it's kind of an heirloom. BTW, as hard as it may be, I try to be cordial with spectators and answer questions despite the fact that many of them can be annoying. If it wasn't for being able to watch the club fly years ago, I don't know if I'd be flying today.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:14 AM
TakingFlight96

Couple years ago I had gone with my dad to the local clubs Fun Fly, (my dad was a member at that time). From that day on I fell in love with RC Flying. I joined the club at the next meeting, and Tony let me borrow his Realflight G3.5. I had spent the next 9 months practicing on the sim, at 1-2 hours a day. Then that next spring I got my Nexi (what I nicknamed the Hobbico Nexstar) put together, and I had my very first flight, me being a girl, when I first came to the field I got a lot of dirty looks, and comments were made, but, I'm here today to prove them guys wrong. Actually, the quote used as my signature were words I've lived by since the beginning and those words have kept me going strong. I soloed a month ago and now am on my 2nd plane (Phoenix Dolphin), learning/performing aerobatics, and am building my 3rd (GP U-Can-Do 3D .60) but, I live in Southern Wisconsin, and were expecting flurries today, so, I'm pretty much done for this flying season. Time to get building ! Much Thanks to a very special person in my life, my Dad, if it weren't for him I wouldn't be where I'am today.

TF96
Old 10-26-2008, 08:17 PM
sierracharlie
My Feedback: (21)

When I was 12 my family moved into the city and it was difficult making friends. One day I herd a strange high pitch whine and I headed toward the sound to fine some kids my age flying 049 control line planes. After watching for awhile they asked if I wanted to come over for a closer look or even give it a try. These kids treated me as if we had been friends for years, I will never forget it. From That point on I was hooked. One of the boys dad flew R/C and we would always help at there contests as score runners. Im 51 now and have been flying most of those years. My first R/C plane was a 4 seasons 40 I think by Kraft.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:20 PM
jimmac

I was about 12 and built control line goodyear profile team racers from plans in Aeromodeller magazine,I stuck with control line and eventually built
a single channel trainer,I was about 17/18 then and had got into motorbikes and girls.
I joined the army and the models went followed by the bike,the girl stayed {my wife] and the plane disappeared totally when my
parents moved house.13 years ago I got back into the hobby and now treat it as my mission to get as many people as possible interested in our fantastic hobby
which is no mean feat in Scotland, as we have an addiction to football{soccer}here which is hard to believe,since our national and other teams seem so dismal at it from what i can make out,about as interesting as watching a painted door dry to me.So My Name is Jim and I am an addict {RC}iI need no help unless you are giving away a plane,I will have it, I don't need it but I want it.
Jim.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Building model airplanes since I was old enough to use my dad's discarded razor blades. Just about every store had some model kits. Comet, Megow, Peerless. . . . Of couse the dream was always someway to control the planes . . . radio contro was only a far off something you read about in a model magazine. In the service there were base hobby shops, but we were still limited to hand launched gliders, and rubber powered stuff. Out of the service I could afford an engine, Forrester 29 for free flight and UC. Still really didn't have the resources necessary for R/C which very few had. Later after college I started building whatever the radio of the week was in Grid Leaks. Rudder only, then Walt Good TTPW system. Moving on to reed systems in early 60's and then the ultimate proportional control we enjoy today.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11406.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	1075220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36725.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1075221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92372.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	1075222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59885.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1075223  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.