Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Flying Robots!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 07:54 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying Robots!!!!

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/0....jjazoykq.html

More good press for the hobby[:@]
Old 05-09-2006, 08:57 AM
venom290

Default RE: Flying Robots!!!!

Mabey if the terrorists started flying rc they would have some fun and forget about thier jehaid. Sorry, that was probably in poor taste.
venom
Old 05-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terrorists with guns can hit 'soft' targets too. This is nothing more than a space filling article in my humble opinion. Not to mention a scare tactic.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:13 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Deadeye
Not to mention a scare tactic.
Exactly. And it is working. A good friend who is an airline pilot, and knows I fly R/C, sent that to me last night with a concerned note.

Perhaps, one day soon it is hoped, the people who refuse to believe that all of this could blow up in our faces at the drop of a hat will finally realize that PERCEPTION, not REALITY, is driving this deal. The so-called 'experts' quoted in this article are the people regulators will listen to. We modellers will NOT be listened to. Truth doesn't matter. Some dipstick in a think-tank who has the ear of law-makers DOES matter. When are you nay-sayers going to snap to this fact????

And as for the room-temperature-IQ twits who insist on continuing to talk about "arming" their r/c models ("Its just for FUN, man!" ) on these forums... well, they shall no doubt be content to remain paddling around in the shallow end of the gene pool.

Sorry guys... not much amazes me anymore, but this issue does. That, and the folks who continue to dismiss any concerns in this area as ridiculous.

Anyway... rant off.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Espresso-Outfitters
Banned

My IQ is higher then average, this does not mean I am perfect as spelling, nor am I a memorization freak, this does mean I can engineer to a degree that most people cannot, so can overcome obsticals never before realized............. If you want to defeat terrorism, jihad, etc. you need to defeat polygamy, what is happening is the fact they are sending their young men out to die so there is less competition for wives, they mask it in religion, but the bottom line is, it's a very convienent system they have in place, in the US, we have nut jobs doing the same thing, again, justifying it with their religion, but they simply excommunicate the young men.

In ww2, they had RC rovers that carried munitions to the target, they were deemed impractical since the operator had to stick his head above the trench which in turn made him vulnerable so was phased out quickly, the same thing would happen with an RC plane if they were to use it as a weapon. The guys that are wanting to arm theirs, has been done before, they just want something more then just flying, you bored with the sim's yet? Same scenereo.

Old 05-13-2006, 03:20 PM
carmatic1

ORIGINAL: Espresso-Outfitters

In ww2, they had RC rovers that carried munitions to the target, they were deemed impractical since the operator had to stick his head above the trench which in turn made him vulnerable so was phased out quickly, the same thing would happen with an RC plane if they were to use it as a weapon.

im not a military expert or something, but this sounds like why they always use control line methods when they fire anti tank missiles, so they cant track who shot the missile... not really relevant to something thats gps controlled, but maybe places like the white house can be made gps-free zones or something to thwart these things? like, who would really need to use gps when theyre that close to the white house anyway...
Old 05-14-2006, 01:38 AM
Grampaw

Hey Deadeye...I watched an RC model (in the Aerial Photography Forum here on RCU, you should check it out). It made a flight of a mile or more from it's launch site and returned to land at it's Take Off Point all via an onboard video camera. The camera was filming and transmitting live footage back to the pilot. A hood on his head gave him the ability to view his take off, fly the course, make a 360 and return to his launch site. He even flew two circuits around a transmission tower of some sort on another flight. His take off spot appeared to be a farm-to-market road out in the country. Parking his van on the side of a road, he assembled his plane, fired up and took off. Cars were passing all the time, yet no one bothered to hang around, nor stop inquire as to what he was doing, or why. He could see where the plane was headed every second from feedback via the onboard video camera. The same feed by which I saw the recorded playback on my PC. Another modeler made numerous video flights over Brooklyn. He flys out of a nearby Public Park. And another showed his videos of close passes over the top of the Golden Gate Bridge. One even mentioned experimenting with GPS flights. These people are not in R&D for commercial purposes. They are everyday hobbyists having a good time making videos with their RC planes. If they can do that, so can any terrorists out there. It is not smoke rings in the air friends, its being done everyday all over the country by RC modelers like you, and me. The only payload they are carrying is their video cameras.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:33 AM
Espresso-Outfitters
Banned

good data you are posting grampaw, glad you are keeping up with the times. It's illegal to fly out of visual range per common codes, so watch out if you are doing that kids. Fly by wire verses radio means there is no interference in the wire, radio has plenty, I was shutting down for the eve tonight, frequency 42, radio on, just getting ready to yank the battery to the plane and all of a sudden it started to flutter the rudder and elevator, turn it's motor on, all on and off. Shows you how vulnerable this stuff is if you want to use the tech with explosives, would hate to have to wonder if you are going to be blown up well before you get to the target ................
Old 05-14-2006, 09:04 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

............ If you want to defeat terrorism, jihad, etc. you need to defeat polygamy, what is happening is the fact they are sending their young men out to die so there is less competition for wives, they mask it in religion, but the bottom line is, it's a very convienent system they have in place, in the US, we have nut jobs doing the same thing, again, justifying it with their religion, but they simply excommunicate the young men.
Hmmm... never heard THAT one before.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:37 AM
ClemenTang

No. To stop suicidal attacks you need to eliminate all virgins and polygamy helps. And why didn't they use a mirror or periscope in the trench?

Clement
Old 05-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Espresso-Outfitters
Banned

eliminate all virgins???????? If you haven't tried to video cam your plane while flying it, you should give it a shot, it's very difficult to do, it's like looking through a straw, trenches were not always around, but as I recall, they may have tried the periscope system, I think another reason they did not keep going that direction is due to the high level of malfunction.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:42 AM
ClemenTang

That was a bad pun, never mind... just wondering how effective is a jihad in sustaining polygamy.

Clement
Old 05-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Espresso-Outfitters
Banned

It's just an obvious observation, and seems like a logical solution to me. Won't expand upon the religion element, it's not supposed to be discussed in the forums for obvious reasons and you will take note, I did not point fingers at any one religion, I personally think they are all screwed, you do not need someone to interpret the meaning of God for you, it's a personal thing that should only be dealt with along an individual level, not amassed into one page all have to read and follow, but do not take this the wrong way, ie. man has a tendacy to obscure the truth, bending it for his own justification for doing the things he does no matter how immoral.

On the opposite side of the coin, a society of athiests is NOT the way to go, you gotta believe in something, otherwise you are little more then the animals by nature.

To change the subject, I saw a CNN special where the Chinese fur/leather trade takes stray animals, dogs, cats mostly, cage them up into crowded cages for transport, tossing them into "causing much damage and suffering to the animals with how they are handled" and then skin them alive for their fur and leather. I stopped buying leather coats at that point. You are in Hong Kong, tell me if you have observed these factories, or are you even aware they exist? The videos were utterly disturbing, I'll never buy a leather coat again since imports for these are not 100% regulated........ Also, what about the coal miner trade, again, CNN, the fatality rates for Chinese coal miners is profoundly higher then the U.S. and other developed countries, yet they continue regardless, won't even go into it when you hear stories about in Japan where young men in the late 20's and early 30's dying of heart attacks because of the fact they are severely overworked. Just trends I, and I'm sure everybody state side do not want to see expanded into the U.S., yeah, we got KFC, "don't eat at KFC any more after finding out about that whole shebang" and other bad things going on, but not to those extreems, there is alot more regulation, from employers and the rest that are in place here...
Old 05-16-2006, 04:54 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

To change the subject, I saw a CNN special
Theres your problem right there.....Quit watching CNN!
Old 05-16-2006, 05:42 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

and then skin them alive for their fur and leather.

Hmmm...this makes me suspicious of the whole CNN story.

Anyway, back to flying robots.... anyone seen Bender lately?
Old 05-17-2006, 12:42 AM
ClemenTang

to answer your questions:
1. there're very few factories in Hong Kong, they moved into the mainland for cheap labour. And for the particular trade you're referring to, cruelty to animals is illegal in HK. Although monkey brains are good, I believe it's much wiser to skin a dead animal, while admitting that I've never been to one of the leather factories. I did heard about the bear with a faucet installed in it's gall bladder for continued supply of gall juice.
2. yes there's as much blood in Chinese coal as there is in diamonds from Sierra Leon. The safety standards is still very low.
3. never heard of overworked Japs dying young. There had been as many overworked people in this country and yours, slaves, forex brokers, computer nerds and I don't seem to see them dying from overworking.

Clement
Old 05-17-2006, 02:36 AM
Espresso-Outfitters
Banned

You have to understand, my point of view is more about human/animal welfare then political agenda's. Yeah, I hear the Japanese dilima upon quite a bit more then one occassion through mainstream media, not just CNN, their culture is absoluty different then the US when it comes to corporate loyalty, the company takes precedence over the family and attempts to become the family itself, there is huge competition going on and of course, if you look at history, there are many major US players that died of exaustion, particularly during the industrial revolution, it's not good regardless since there has to always be the human equasion about the final solution, ie. those young men could serve the company better alive rather then having to retrain a new worker if you are thinking cold corporate mentality. The value of the individual human existance and respect thereof is at stake in that case, not just one country, but world wide when it is all said and done, the same scenereo with animal welfare. Up until I hooked up with my girlfriend, might as well be wife at this point, I never gave a second thought as to the centiunt nature of animals themselves, they are limited, but do have real emotions and can learn just as humans, .... Needless to say, her small zoo has taught me alot about that end and I've grown attached to a few in the past myself.

I gauge my purchases and try to do my best in the business world, thinking for the welfare of the common, lowest on the rung laborer equally as well as economics. Where I hate myself with is when economics dictate I have no choice but to go with the lowest/cheapest denominator, not knowing what happend to take raw material to market which is usually at someone elses expense big time, at the same time, don't mind sacrifices such as never frequenting KFC again, for example, "I know not huge sacrifice there" but it's about principals, values and actually having the integrity to act upon them regarldess of where the buck stands and the status quo when given a choice.

I look forward to seeing the bender robot fly on another note
Old 05-17-2006, 05:01 AM
jettstarblue

... Think I put on my "kitty leather" jacket, grab a couple of virgins and go fly my plane around the nuke plant with my camera rolling and some nice bear gall juice with a twist of lemon.....
Old 05-17-2006, 06:22 AM
Espresso-Outfitters
Banned

jettstarblue you are a funny man, hehe

Flying robots here though, examine the topic, a robot can do many things, I think people are looking from the traditional RC aircraft making it do more when they should be thinking of attaching wings to the robot that can already do the many things. I have several ideas to meld the 2 tech's together plus more adding the xyz axis into the equasion.

Ideas are from safety features, to being able to bail in the air. ie. death spiral and you can kick out a chute to recover it mid air as an example. I'd like to see more like these, there are options and concepts that are already out there, just never melded with a flying craft, it gets you thinking in a whole new way about this hobby.