Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

R/C'S IN IRAQ.. SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

R/C'S IN IRAQ.. SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 05:59 PM
entity
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/C'S IN IRAQ.. SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

I've noticed on some posts that some of are brave mean a woman are getting to use r/c machines in Iraq.. Well I'm gonna be the first one to ask for help. From everyone and even the topnotch peeps at rcu. And the advertisers.. Bottom line is this.. I want to get rtr machines either electric or nitro to our freedom fighters in Iraq. With all of the people here both subscribers, and dealers and advertisers.. There is no way that we cannot get a bunch of new or slightly used rtr machines to our boys and girls overseas.. Not only does this fit the "bill" to what we love.. But we can relieve some of the stress of what they go through everyday.. I need support from everyone no matter how small it is.. And RCU can get this done for us.. Please post up with your yes's and help.. There is no reason why we cannot give these warriors a little fun time.. Email me direct.. Or just post up what you can do.. I would like to get a lot of machines over there.. Thanks and god bless.. Ronald.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:31 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: R/C'S IN IRAQ.. SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Entity,
This is a truly fantastic idea, but there are some things that need to be taken into account before you start shipping RC's over to Iraq. The field that I fly at is located on Fort Sill Army Base, so I get to meet a lot of soldiers (I'm a disabled vet myself too). Recently one of the guys that I taught to fly came back for his mid-tour break from Iraq. He brought with him a plane that he built while over there. He said he had to slide it under his bed each night and then pull it out and work on top of the bed in the evenings (he didn't have much living space there). Anyway, he was getting ready to fly it and he told me that it was a maiden flight. After the flight we talked about it and I asked why he didn't fly it over there. To make a long story short the Air Force and the camp commanders told him that if he put it in the air it would get shot down. In further conversation he said the same thing about RC cars, they would be shot and destroyed if they were ran over there. Why??? Well, it wouldn't be too hard for a terrorist to strap an IED on a plane or a car and fly/drive it into the base. They don't take anything for granted over there. I for one can agree 100%, I wouldn't for one second suggest that they compromise security just so a soldier can play with a toy.

It's a great idea to help the troops, but it's not the best idea in practice. If you really want to make a soldier/airman/marine/sailors day better how about just jotting down a quick hand written note saying that you appreciate what they are doing over there. You can send it to the [link=http://www.uso.org]USO[/link] and they will get it into the hands of a serviceman. As a former soldier I can tell you that this will go a lot further in boosting morale than sending a toy to them that they can't even play with.

Anyway, that's my 2¢ worth.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:47 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to our club site at www.gamarc.org and to the photo gallary on the left. You'll see some pictures of soldiers flying some stuff a guy in our club is sending over there.
Edwin
Old 06-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Kwesdog

RCken I think that guy was really REALLY stretching the truth about shooting R/C stuff down in Iraq. I am currently on my about my 10 month over here as a UAV operator. I have been flying and driving R/C over here on almost a daily basis in addition to flying UAVs (I fly shadow 200s if you were wondering.). Anyways just to let you know there are micro UAVs and R/C cars used by soldiers everywhere in Iraq all the time. They use R/C cars to bump trash and things on the side of the road to check for IEDs and what not. They use micro UAVs observation and what not. These Micro UAVs are not always regulated as to where they fly so basicly they could be anywhere at anytime. I have never heard of a single UAV getting shot down since 2003 let alone an R/C airplane.

Point being is that they don't shoot down R/C stuff and they don't shoot up R/C cars either over here. The only problem people may have with R/C is if they use them off the FOBs where they run the possibility of being jammed. Heres a video of my flying a blade CP inside and outside of our UAV hanger in Baquba, Iraq. https://home.comcast.net/~kwes/Blade_0002.wmv

I am now up in Tall Afar, Iraq and up here I fly a unicorn with a mega 3 turn and a 4d lite plus I have a traxxas stampede and a duratrax evader pro. There are is 20-30+ people on this FOB that fly everything from trainer planes to t-rex 450s XLs and I cant even count the number on people who have cars both nitro and electric.

We actually have an R/C club here called "Tall Afar R/C club." and theres people at our R/C car track and at our runway every night when its not too hot out.

Anyways. Yes, we can fly/drive pretty much as much R/C over here as we want anywhere in the country. We wont get shot down or shot up.

Harry
Old 06-28-2006, 08:28 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Kwesdog,
I had thought about the same thing when he told me. That is the way it where he is at. I've actually heard the same thing from several different people over there. If you're in the military then you know that things can be different in different places in the area. 10 years in the military and I know one thing for sure is that every post is different in how they do things. So if my statements don't apply to the area you are in then I say great for you. But I do know that they apply in other places.

Ken
Old 06-28-2006, 08:50 AM
Kwesdog

Not trying to add fuel to this at all but I would really like to know where these people are where R/C is banned. If you are not on a Camp or Fob that can be the case (ie..a small outpost in the middle of a city/village). But in my 10 months over here I have been all over Iraq and not just one area and there was never a problem flying/driving on camps or Fobs from down in kuwait all the way up to the turkish border (Tall Afar).

Not arguing but I would honestly like to know where because like I said before the army uses mirco UAVs in every single area of this country 24/7 and just by looking at them you cannot tell the diff between them and some joe out flying R/C. I was at a theatre UAV conferance 2 weeks ago and like I said there hasnt been a UAV or R/C shot down since 2003 and the one in 2003 was by the Iraqi army before they fell. Besides that the Iraqis (civialians) also use R/C products and I dont think it would look too good in the press if the military where shooting up their stuff. Just seems very far fetched to me is all. Besides being far fetched if there is any weapons fired on FOBs or Camps here in Iraq even on accident someone is going to goto jail or going to get ALOT of pay taken from them. I just hope that soldier isnt saying they are firing missles at R/C airplanes over top of the Fobs.

Do a search on google for TACMAV and the RQ-11 RAVEN and you will see what I mean. These things are all over plus more small UAVs none of which get shot down.

Harry
Old 06-28-2006, 02:13 PM
entity
Banned

so. in a nutshell.. I guess that we can still do this.. and still attach a note.. don't yah think guys?
Old 06-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Kwesdog

They use R/C cars to bump trash and things on the side of the road to check for IEDs and what not. Harry
I guess another way of looking at this is to donate your junkers so they can "sacrifice" them. Hey if it keeps some guy from getting killed, why not!
Old 06-29-2006, 12:09 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

oh man!! If they had had r/c's when I was in the Army (71-74) I would have been all over that MOS!!

http://www.defenselink.mil/photos/Ju...-9712C-007.jpg
Old 06-29-2006, 03:00 PM
entity
Banned

well we need ideas on how to get buggys and trucks etc.. to our troops.. and were to send em and if the us postal office would pay to have em sent I would like to get a lot of machines out there.. so shipping will be pricey. and they have to be rtr. I don't know of any hobby shops out there.. lol.. Thanks And godspeed!
Old 07-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Edwin

Like I said, go to our web site. On the first page it tells you how to get the info. Our VP has already done it.
Edwin
Old 07-01-2006, 12:38 PM
entity
Banned

whats you website. thanks. Ronnie.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Edwin

Its in post 3. www.gamarc.org
Edwin
Old 07-01-2006, 04:10 PM
entity
Banned

Im wanting buggys and trucks right now.. but the info is great. thanks.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:12 PM
entity
Banned

yeah.. I'm dissapointed in the response. I personally email rcu and many companies.. I feel that it's a a shame that we can't get this done.. this is a well proven point and our troops are telling us there!!.. come on guys.. get me some help!.. put the word out etc.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Its a nice idea but does anybody really know where these things are going? I don't mean into the "wrong hands" but is their any club, group etc or something. Do they have the support to run them. I mean if they break a steering rod 2 days after it gets there, it becomes a useless piece of junk.

I think idea is great. I have been overseas a few times in my life and know what its like but to send planes over and they all go, "let me try it." Well I think its effort wasted. Cars is a more logical idea.

What about more sports oriented stuff. Basket Balls, baseballs, bats, gloves, footballs, frisbees ant things along those lines that can get many involved to relieve some stress. Goodwill stores are full of this stuff. Shoot even easier, advertise a local donation at some recruiting station like a food drive and have people bring their old stuff in .
Old 07-02-2006, 01:15 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A suggestion would be to limit any models of cars or planes to electric powered only. Shipping fuel is a problem since it can only be shipped via Air Mobility Command (Air Force, AMC) and they're really sticky about Haz Mat stuff. Storage of fuels is also another matter. Obtaining more can also be an issue since normal gasoline is sometimes not available. Anything shipped regular mail ends up on an AMC flight and often gets beat up pretty bad. Fed Ex or DHL are the only other carriers into the country at the moment and treat private mailings much better but at a high, very high, price.

If you choose to ship regular mail it should be sent as "Priority Mail" not Parcel Post. It can often take severl months for Parcel Post mail to arrive, and regular mail often gets lost in transit. The most difficult part of shipping equipment to Iraq or Afganistan is the cost of shipping and the end point of contact. I don't believe the area USO's would be of much help.

As for the use of r/c equipment at various locations, it should all be cleared with the local "Air Boss" and C/O before going at it. Most bases permit some of the activities, but it can be location critical. Absolutely none of this stuff can be made available to local nationals!!

As noted in another post, living space is quite restricted so small flyers work out much better than large. The average living area is in the neighborhood of 40-50 square feet of floor space. That includes your rack and personal stuff. See if you can post an ad in the Stars and Stripes military newspaper to locate points of contact at the various bases in the country that would act as receiving addresses.

There is a lot of flying going on in the country now. Just about everyone that has products shipped over leaves them there for the next guy. I have to applaud both Horizon Hobby and Tower Hobby for their efforts in getting products to everyone in country that orders from them. Sometimes they get a little beat up in transport, but they always get there.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:21 PM
entity
Banned

thanks bud.. maybe they would be willing to donat stuff?
Old 09-10-2006, 03:04 PM
entity
Banned

I know this is old.. but i have a deal on 3.3 revos.. rtr.. we need to get 425.00 shipping a piece for em.. min quanitity 5 and get em shipped.. let me know if anyone is interested in helping out our troops.. since it would be considered charity we can all get the money back on our taxes