Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Frequency control at your club

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Frequency control at your club

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 01:23 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frequency control at your club

Well, what the clothespin method prevents, is someone just ditching (or pocketing) your card,
and slipping their card in the slot, claiming they have the frequency, and you're not following rules.
To get my frequency with the clothespin method, you'll have to come out and get it off my antenna.

Of course, with either method, some idiot could still turn on while you're in the air, but with
the "take a pin" way, there can never... ever be any question who has the frequency.

You'd think that things like ditching someone's card, or personal pin, would never happen, but it
does happen, especially in a case where someone downs your plane, and doesn't want to take blame.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:17 PM
OnTheEdge

Originally posted by nav8tor
Gary,

That looks great. Did you by the box off the shelf? If so, where did you get it?
We used an old (large) commercial electrical panel box. It's survived many many years of vandalism, is weather proof and has a lock on it. There is also enough room inside for a first aid kit and fire extinguisher. We also post messages and "items-for-sale" on the inside of the door. Every (paid up) member gets a key. Inside is vary similar to above where there is a freq. pin and a place to put your AMA card. If the pin is missing, it's always found still clipped onto the antenna of the guy who's card is still in the box (been there, done that). It's also designed that the top of your AMA card covers the indent that you clip the pin on. This way you don't mistakenly put the pin back without remembering to take back your AMA card.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	47240_2228.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	27917  
Old 01-14-2003, 03:22 PM
OnTheEdge

Default Re: Frequency control at your club

Originally posted by Sdr
Besides designing a new logo for the club one other task I've undertaken is designing and building a new frequency control board and radio impound.

One note that I don't think was mentioned so far. If you are in the design stages of an impound table, if possible make provisions for a few transmitter cases and also a way to shield the radios from direct sunlight. It takes but a few minutes of direct sun to ruin an LCD screen on a computer radio.

.....Mark
Old 01-14-2003, 03:47 PM
den1tjb

It may just be the group I fly with, but I have never witness, nor seen any of them chuck a clothespin in the weeds or pocket it to claim they had the frequency. If there is a person like that around your club, I would recommend reconsidering their membership status. Those are the type of people we don't need in the hobby.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:51 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Well, the thing is, you never know a person is like that until it's entirely too late.
Given that... why not make it an impossibility in the first place?

There's a thread on RCU here somewhere... about a very similar incident with similar freq control,
where you place a pin to claim the channel. Someone came up, removed the guy's pin, and
proceeded to take the channel himself, shooting the rightful user's plane down in the process.

There's all kinds of people in the world... give some of them an opportunity to screw things up,
and they will. Give them an easy out, when faced with possibly paying out money, and they'll take it.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:15 PM
den1tjb

I agree that sometimes it happens before you know what is going on. Just keep your eyes open and be aware of what's happening on the flight line as well as who is coming and going. Keep looking out for your fellow fliers.