Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Radio Impound Survey

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 03:05 PM
James Goss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Impound Survey

Our club is debating as to whether we need a radio impound or not. Our bylaws state that we will use a radio impound, but we may be changing that. Personally I think we should keep it in operation. It is easy to deviate from using an impound, especially when there is only five or six flying at the field. Using field chargers has made it even more frustrating so I understand some not wanting it. On the other hand when we have an expensive plane in the air we need all the protection we can get. We need to hear from other clubs as to whether you use radio impound or not and your opinion as to why. Also state where you are located Thanks for your time. James Goss
Old 02-05-2002, 03:33 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

At my club, The Flying Cardinals of Northern Ky, we always use radio impound. With all the giant scale planes around today, it protects those not flying, as well as those flying these expen$ive airplanes. If someone crashes, they cannot blame you, if your radio is impounded. It also prevents someone forgetting and turning on their radio to check throws etc..., I've seen $1000 + airplanes destroyed this way. I've also seen people injured this way, a fellow was "checking his aileron throws", after bolting on his wing(did not have the freq pin), and caused a taxing plane to suddenly surge into the pits, hitting someone from behind who was starting his engine. The first thing you should do upon arriving at the field is impound your radio. If you want to fast charge, take the battery out, and do it that way.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:07 PM
Lorance66-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default impound

whether you actually impound the Tx's or not, just make sure to use a "frequency pin" system.....there will be lots less planes crashed

Brad Lorance
Harrisburg, PA
Old 02-05-2002, 04:25 PM
James Goss

Brad, you didn’t say if your club uses impound or not. James Goss
Old 02-05-2002, 04:31 PM
Lorance66-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default impound

you're right.....I didn't say did I? hehe....I get carried away. Yes, our club uses impound. It is the safest way and truthfully, safety should be everyone's main concern whether it irritates people or not. These planes could come down in the pits if someone turned their Tx on your frequency while you are flying and someone could be hurt or possibly killed......be safe
Old 02-05-2002, 04:34 PM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

We have both a frequency board, and impound.

The frequency board must be used, and you must have the pin in your possession before turning your radio on... period. The impound is mainly used when having to share a frequency pin with someone, or at funfly's. The casual after work flying doesn't usually require using the impound, but you still have to use the frequency board. If someone later shows up on your frequency... to the impound your radio goes.

The system we have in place is to protect everyone... not just the big birds. Everyone has an investment in their equipment, and nobody likes to crash. Expensive is a relative term. We need to protect everyone, not just the $1000+ airplanes. Whether it's a $100 or $1000 airplane, I want to be able to say either I have the Frequency pin, or my radio was in the impound. It's just smart and simple to implement.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:51 PM
djlyon

We have both freq board and impound. You get your transmitter out of the impound when you have the freq pin in your hand.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:11 PM
maverick

We have a frequency board and all radios must be stored in the shed when not in use.

You cannot take your radio our of the shed unless you have the pin or you are taking it straight to your car to leave the field.

There is no 'impounding' as such though. The onus is still on the owner of the radio to comply with the rules.

Also on arrival at the field the first thing to do is take your radio into the shed.

This way both the flyers and people on the ground are covered. If somebody's plane goes in and they are on your frequency, if your radio is in the shed you have no worries. If it is on your bench then there is always an element of suspicion.

When taking the frequency pin we put our current AMA card into the slot vacated by the pin.

For your survey we are located in Richmond, Ca.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:26 AM
Radman

Default impound!!

Our Club,The Suncity Propbusters have a freq. board and impound.
If there is more than 2 flyers at the field the impound and freq board MUST be used.Your tag must be on the board before removing tx from impound. At club events current MAAC or AMA must be shown to one of the current club members before flying.
If you are found responsible for shooting down another A/C because of your transmitter being on, you buy that persons airplane and any damaged parts involved.
These rules came into effect after 3 airplanes crashed within a month because of someones negligence.
Since it has been in place we have had no problems.
It is a VERY tough rule but everyone now abides by it and it saves a lot of grief and hard feelings.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:30 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

We have both pin and impound area as well. It's used all the time, actually.
I prefer not to use it and use my own transmitter case lately. I've walked up too many times to find my transmitter has been moved from the spot I put it. I'm very careful to impound it in such a way that I can tell if it's been moved.
When I impound it, I put it way to the back and over to one side, the last few times I've come to get it, it's been moved/handled in some way. It's just to eery to have to look at all your trims and wonder if it's been bumped/moved, or if someones actually turned it on. It's really been pissin me off too, as I'm not one to go against rules at all, but I'll take my chances with my own impound for now, and use the pins when time to fly.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:41 PM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We use the freq pins and impound area. The impound area is used mainly for events.

I am with DGrant though. I use my case as an impound. I am also on the HAM freq, so there is only one other person who flies that channel at our club. If I don't have a freq pin, my radio is in the box.

I talked to one club member who suspected his TX was dropped while in impound at an event, because one of the switches was broke. If it had been mine, I would have had it sent in for service, and charged the club for the repair and check-out before using it again.

I used to race R/C cars and we used an impound system. However, only one person had access to the impound area (during events), and they were responsible for the safety of the TX.

If an impound system is in place at a site, and the safety of my equipment cannot be guaranteed (from damage, theft,mis-use), I won't fly. Some radios can cost over $1000 also.

Now, before I am considered a renegade. Let me tell you what I have offered to do at racing events and the race director and other drivers agreed to it. I would take the crystal or module out of the radio and put it in a foam case and turn it into the impound area. The radio can't work if the module is not in it, and I feel better knowing that at least my radio is safe and with me .
Old 02-06-2002, 06:52 PM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Your right Mr. Grant I have had my radio played with a couple of times. Now that I have the Futaba radio I just impound the frequency module but the transmitter stays with me. I also allows me to use the DSC cord to move servo's. And I always worry about the day when someone decides to take a radio when no one is looking. Bkf
Old 02-07-2002, 02:11 AM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

James:

From all of the above posts, you might assume that all clubs have a transmitter impound. Our club, the Highlands R/C Club of Sebring does not. We only use an impound at sanctioned events.

Our rules are clearly posted at the field, and all members have copies of the field rules. Rule 15 states: PILOTS MUST HAVE IN THEIR POSSESSION, THE FREQUENCY PIN THAT CORRESPONDS TO THE FREQUENCY OF THEIR TRANSMITTER, BEFORE TURNING IT ON. Upon arrival, and PRIOR to unloading your airplane, pilots should first check the frequency board. If your pin is still clipped to the board, simply insert your HRCC card in the slot, then go fly. HOWEVER, if one or more cards are already in the slot; insert your card also, and immediately inform each person whose name appears on the other cards that you will be sharing the "pin"; then work out between yourselves how that is best accomplished.

End of rule: Now - the advantages here is that you will soon learn who is on your frequency; you will be looking out for them, and they will be looking out for you. The system works very well in our club, so nobody gets to handle/drop/whatever your expensive transmitter, and it never gets left behind as they sometimes do when left in an impound.

I have been flying for many years, and have used the impound system, but I like this system of making every pilot responsible the best. We have been up to 100 members strong, with approx. 20 flying on any given day (we fly every day) and only once in the past seven years have I heard of a screw-up, and that was a high school kid on a buddy box system that just showed up at the field (not a member of the club) and he just didn't know any better. He also wouldn't have known to impound his transmitter had we been using the impound system. That kind of accident is hard to prevent.

I fly on the same frequency as another guy, so we take turns flying. When I finish a flight, the first thing that I do is take the pin to him. When he finishes a flight, he walks the pin to me. The person giving the pin ALWAYS makes sure that his transmitter is turned off, and this is usually part of the conversation that takes place when the pin goes to the other person, like; "My transmitter is turned off".

So that's my side of the story. We are responsible people - "we do not turn on the transmitter without the "pin", and everybody is happy".
Old 02-07-2002, 02:24 AM
ReallyUglyStick
My Feedback: (5)

my club (Raleigh-Durham RC) has a small impound area and a frequency board. i nearly always use the board (the exception is if there are 2 or less people there). i too am concerned about radio theft as well as someone messing with the trims or dropping it. unfortunately our impound area doesn't accomodate cases very well. if someone has a plane in the air (or running up on the ground) i always look at their stuff while turning on my transmitter. that way if i am on their frequency i will be able to tell right away. i don't know which would be worse, me shooting down someone's plane (my integrity is such that i would admit to it) or someone shooting down mine and not admitting to it.
Old 02-15-2002, 08:09 AM
Divesplat
My Feedback: (7)

Our club flies off a leased inactive runway prohibiting any building aound the area to date. An impound is impractical here but a frequency board and pinning your freq is mandatory.

The 10,000ft concrete slab has saved a few deadsticks to date also. On the other hand our skills for landing deadstick in front of us is lacking at the moment also.teehee

Ed
Old 02-18-2002, 12:11 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default Frequency Pin Impound

My club has the impound and pin rule in effect.
One of the posters said if only two are there at the field .....they do not exercise the rule.
THIS IS THE MOST DANGEROUS TIME!
Let suppose you are flying you XYZ, and all alone or just one other person there....You and your flying buddy know you are on different freq's.......
While you are airborne......The 3rd flyer enters the mix..(or the 2nd flyer).....He grabs his pin.....checks control ...Where are you???? Who is at fault???
He has the pin.......
Our rule is......No pin.....YOU ARE GROUNDED!...It is Murphys Law......and it does happen....Our rule is also....you turn on your tx and crash an airplane without the freq pin....You have to dig in your pockets..
5x5
Old 02-18-2002, 04:11 AM
maverick

Default Re: Frequency Pin Impound

Originally posted by FIVESQUARE
Our rule is......No pin.....YOU ARE GROUNDED!...It is Murphys Law......and it does happen....Our rule is also....you turn on your tx and crash an airplane without the freq pin....You have to dig in your pockets..
Fair enough too! Sounds reasonable to me.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:26 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey James, I fly at Birmingham RC field in Morris on Hwy I-65. We have the freq. pin board up that you clip your AMA card to go along with the proper channel that you on. No impound though. We have posted on a sign: If someone turns on their radio while the person who has the proper pin is flying and it causes a crash, that person is responsible and liable for any damage.
thanks John McGowan, Birmingham, Al
Old 02-24-2002, 10:57 PM
Nuker

Default Frequency Pin/Impound

We have a mandatory frequency board up at the Ajax RC Flying club in Ontario, Canada. We use the mandatory impound for sanctioned events; though many use it during regular flying as well.

I found it strange to read about "if two or less flyers are on the field, it isn't mandatory". This would be dangerous if two folks are flying and someone drives up, doesn't see any pins on the board and turns on their radio. It's for this reason that our club has mandatory use at all times; even if you are alone.

Just a thought,

Nuker
Old 03-03-2002, 11:19 PM
bpannier

We use a add the pin to the board, then you do not have the problem of the pins leaving the field. Has worked great for 15 years. No impound. ( some contests do have the impound and have found Txs on when in impound) Pay if you turn on. Location Utah, SLC & St George. Keep it simple>>>>>>>>>>>>and pilot is responsible.
Old 03-03-2002, 11:39 PM
Goodtimecharlie
My Feedback: (96)

I currently belong to a club in northwest Mississippi which has always used frequency pins AND transmitter impound. Although I've only been with this club for about a year, I'm told that no crashes have ever been caused by unauthorized use of transmsitters. Previousely, I belonged to another club in northwest Mississippi for six years which used pins but no impound. We never had a radio infringement there either.
It appears that proper education of newcomers to the use of pins is the common denominator.
Old 03-04-2002, 04:37 AM
Ramjet

I agree with FiveSquare, USE the pin EVERY TIME.
I had a good scare at my field, a new face showed up and started testing setup whole I was airborne. My bird was unaffected, but I realized I Didn't have the Pin!
BAD Plan. I could have lost my bird.
I got complacent knowing I'm the only one in the club on my Freq.

BTW The field is Rochester Modelers Club in New Hampshire.
We Run a Pin board always, we run Impound when any Event is scheduled. No-one has been shot down in my time with the club ~5 years. We run a portable freq board when we fly at alternate sites for float fly's and frozen lake flying.

I agree with the Tx module impound idea, I hate seeing my radio moved. Reminds me to turn in the second module I carry in the box as a spare on a different channel... But if the Impound area is big enough, Turn in the Tx in the Case, no-one will doubt you then.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:19 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Default Re: Frequency Pin Impound

[i]Originally posted by FIVESQUARE Our rule is also....you turn on your tx and crash an airplane without the freq pin....You have to dig in your pockets..
5x5 [/B]
Or you could just scream and run away like Homer Simpson would....
Old 04-30-2002, 05:14 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jetero RC Club, Humble, TX, Field is Nor. east of Houston, TX.
We have large Impound area. All transmitters there except when pilot has the freq. pin and a card is in the slot.
Manned Impound procedures when an event is in happening.

Works well and 99% wouldn't have it any other way. Sometimes a newbie has to be reaffirmed that what his training had him do, did not stop after solo.

BTW if your club bylaws require something and you do NOT enforce that something, then any resulting liability may be spread evenly, by the court, among the current membership and most certainly among the club officers, and you can near take that to the bank.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:11 PM
gpmikemorse-RCU

The three clubs I fly at in the Washington D.C. area all have freq control and impound. When I first read your post I was thinking the impound is not all that necessary, particularly when there are very few fliers at the field. In other words, if there are only a few flyers, and I have the pin for my frequency, most of the time I'll keep my transmitter with me, since usually I'm just fueling up and getting ready to fly again.

But I agree with the other comment that when somebody gets shot down, it's very nice to have your radio sitting in the impound so there's no suspicion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.