Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Need to Vent

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 10:45 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to Vent

Hell some of us like brocolli!!!

Ah oh!!! I like Broccoli, and brussel sprouts and mustard greens, and and and..........................................sigh!
Old 01-18-2003, 01:18 PM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Default Need to Vent

I usually tell people about the cost of IMAC planes and turbine jets, that usually astounds them.

I once had a Boss who drove an older Toyota. We were at a meeting, when he made an analogy about something and said
"just like you, Jim, and your toy helicopters".

My reply was, Ed, I have a toy helicopter that cost more than your damned car. He never called them toys after that.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:43 PM
lnorris
My Feedback: (1)

Default Need to Vent

Add one more to those who would rather them not be called toys.

Planes and helis ARE different from RC boats and cars. I can order a car or boat from Tower Hobbies, put it together, and successfully run it in my yard without any training. Just not doing that with a plane/heli.

But let's face it, MOST people's idea of a hobby/sport is the TV. They just don't understand anything outside of Survivor and it's their loss.

Most of the time I've heard my planes called "toys" it was by someone trying to lightly insult me (not mean, just get in a dig). And then, mostly, it's either ignorance or jealousy.
Old 01-18-2003, 03:39 PM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

Default One Last Thought

Here is one last bit of information on the "toy" saga, that I Started.

This was pointed out by a fellow RCU member in a different post (thanks Groundforce). I think if says it all, very much overlooked by me all this time.

"Your Top Flite F4U Corsair is not a TOY, but rather a sophisticated, working model that functions very much like an actual airplane.

Because of its performance, the Corsair, if not assembled and operated correctly, could possibly cause injury to yourself or spectators and damage property"

Top Flite Models
P.O. Box 788
Urbana IL, 61803

Let's see that on the box of a plastic model, action figure or care bear from Wal-mart........ :idea:

Look in any Kit or ARF printed material, I think it says it all. How as fellow RC Modelers can we argue with that? We can call it what we want (whatever Floats your boat), the one thing I'd like to end this with, " Let's Have Fun, Enjoy and Respect the Sport/Hobby, and Let's Go FLying-I'll see you at the Field!" LOL
Old 01-18-2003, 11:05 PM
Brad Fuller

Default Need to Vent

AMEN BROTHER!!
Old 01-18-2003, 11:10 PM
Live Wire

Default Need to Vent

Isn't great to set in front of this Toy. It is not a toy PC RC CARS can crash . Toys do not they may be broken . It is to bad when a PC tells you to down load info. that you want to keep. I'm GONE.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:54 AM
BigSkyRCFlyer

Default Need to Vent

Isn't great to set in front of this Toy. It is not a toy PC RC CARS can crash . Toys do not they may be broken . It is to bad when a PC tells you to down load info. that you want to keep. I'm GONE.

RC Outlaw. In all honesty what the heck are you trying to say, after reading your post, over and over again, I'm still trying to figure it out............LOL :spinnyeye
Old 01-19-2003, 03:36 AM
Live Wire

Default Need to Vent

You do not crash toy,s they are not designed for power and enginering that RC equipement is. You do not put a missle in the hands of 5 Yr old. ???????????????????????????/
Old 01-19-2003, 03:47 AM
BigSkyRCFlyer

Default Need to Vent

Ok Got yeah, I see what your saying, I agree.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:46 AM
Anchorboy46
My Feedback: (6)

Default Toys

Dude- here in California everyone calls everything toys-- jet skis,dunebuggies,motorcycles,hot rods, model rc planes... to hell with that guy! jus dont worry about him. He has a brain the size of a quarter. Your Pal Mike-AKA Anchorboy46
Old 01-19-2003, 05:24 AM
Live Wire

Default Need to Vent

My grand son is 11 would love to get him into RC but he said he did not wont to hurt any one if he hit them.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:44 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default Well..

I could not resist especially since this came up just this afternoon with my fiance-

She said "you going to the shed to play with your toy airplanes" (she says this on purpose just kidding with me because she knows I don't like it...) When I realized that they are toys, to some people. Does not bother me-

Now when she asks me if I am going to go to my Karate thingee again (Martial arts class) or if folks refer to that as a hobby- well... that is where I draw the line!

And let me close with a bit of history: This is actually what that little girl actually said at the end of "Its' a Wonderful Life", it got cut because toys are not cool enough for movies tho- :stupid:

" Every time a bell rings, an angel gets its' wings, an Irvine 53,and a JR 10X!"

james
Old 01-20-2003, 08:52 PM
WheresMyPlane

Default Need to Vent

Well I have a trainer and I consider it my toy. Now once I get good I plan to someday build my dream plane - the Corsair. Now that will not be a toy. I guess it just depends on how much pride you have invested in it.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:07 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need to Vent

Even the Press has a hard time with this....they may call our airplanes 'toys' but then print a picture of an R/C sailboat!

By the way, my picture was in MA a couple of years ago - the caption under the photo referred to me flying my TOY airplane!

Wanna guess who wrote that? I'm in Dist. V.....does that tell you?

Jerry
Old 01-20-2003, 11:26 PM
coomarlin

Default Need to Vent

Sucks when one of our own can't even get it right.

Rick Head hosted Inside-RC from TOC this year and his quote, "$50,000.....Not bad for flying a toy plane"
Old 01-20-2003, 11:32 PM
POJack

Default Who Cares?

For me, I don't care what other people think or call my planes or trucks or cars...as long as I have fun with it, then thats all that matters.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:00 AM
BigSkyRCFlyer

Default Need to Vent

"$50,000.....Not bad for flying a toy plane"

coomarlin,tailskid

Sheesh.......That's bad. Doesn't do much good when one of the only RC TV Shows refers to RC as Toys! I have not watched Inside RC yet, I have just watched Radio Controlled Hobbies, hosted by Chris Chianelli on DIY. I have not heard him make a reference to "toys", it seems he's always good at stressing the facts on saftey and the fact they are actually scale working Models, like the real deal, except for the Boat show, where he said don't run them around full size boats and they have two running behind a real boat.....LOL
Old 01-22-2003, 02:11 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Need to Vent

I take offense to the "toy" word also.

Someone said in an earlier post that our planes and helis cost more than some cars. TRUE

My relatives (read- the wife's family) used to make a snide coment now and then about my "toy" planes. "Oh, you going out to play with your toy planes?" or "Are you still flying your toy planes?"

I just smile and say, "Yup."

We do a White Elphant gift every yr at Christmas. Each adult draws a name outta the hat and buys a gift under $50 for that one person. We usually make a list of stuff that we would like and it gets to the proper gift giver- that way we get something we all want instead of ties and wallets. Last year I asked for a couple of 22-10 props or a couple of rolls of covering. I got the props. My relatives couldn't believe how big the propellers were for my "toys". "Your toy airplanes must be pretty big. Whats the wingspan? 30 or 40 inches?"

We had them all over for my daughters 1st B-Day party last May. I showed the relatives my shop. You should have seen the looks on their faces. Priceless. I had my Brother-in-law holding the TX and standing over the tail while I started my 25% Cap 231EX for a demonstration.

I don't get any more comments about "toys".

Yes, they are toys. But I don't care for it when someone who has no concept of these planes calls them toys..especially when it feels like an insult.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:55 AM
teefly-RCU

Default Need to Vent

i usually tell people i am building a time machine out in the shop. that keeps em away. wife usually adds, "he is fine as long as he takes his medication on time."
Old 01-23-2003, 07:52 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need to Vent

OK...I used to get upset too...not anymore. When they call it a toy, I just correct them in stating that it is a piece of sophiticated machinery....I have also used the words "equivalent to a military drone" for high effect.. These days I just write it off as lack of knowledge.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:50 PM
Grumpy Monkey
My Feedback: (7)

Default Need to Vent

People just lack enlightenment. At work, they all thought I played with "toy" planes. The weekend would come and on Friday they all asked if I was gonna go play with my "toys" over the weekend. One day I got a fairly large box delivered to work (BUSA 1/4 scale Cub) and they asked what it was. Sarcastically, I told them it was a new "toy" plane. So they all wanted to see it. I myself was excited, so I agreed to open the box and show them. Well, I think that they thought it was gonna be like Toys R Us and come out of the box ready to roll. When they saw all the wood and parts, They kinda looked like deer in headlights. Then someone asked"you have to build it?" and I kinda laughed as I let them browse through the instruction manual. The next day, I brought a completed plane into work along with a G-23 for the cub, as well as one of my radios and they all had a new appreciation for my hobby and asked about a million questions. I flipped on the power, showed them how it all works and voila, the rest is history. Now I get asked if I am going flying this weekend. I dont like the toy reference myself, but most people dont know any better so some times you just have to enlighten them. And you never know who might just take up the hobby as well. Two of the girls in the office wanted to show their kids my planes, so one weekend we got together and showed them. Now, when spring comes around, it looks like I will have 2 new pit crew members.

Warren
Old 01-24-2003, 11:01 PM
Low Wing

Default what the-

Kid's play with toy's...something that require's skill and knowledge and plenty of money is not a toy...something that can burn the crapp out of you cut off your hand or smash into someone's head at 70 mph and kill them is not a toy...Here is the deal, because they are smaller than the full size version they are toy-ish...Bullet's are smaller than canon ball's, but they can kill just the same...On the assemble directions to every model aircraft it say's "THIS IS NOT A TOY"

You should have invited that jerk to play with your toy sometime...He can start by sticking his finger in the prop at 8600 rpm...
Old 03-22-2003, 06:15 AM
flytheedge
My Feedback: (84)

Default Need to Vent

I guess I agree with BigSkyRC'er. Toys are something you play with. You can get careless with them, throw them across the room. Heck, barbies are toys, dolls...choose your prefrence.

Model airplanes are NOT toys!! You can easily cut your fingers off. They can start on fire, explode, and seriously injure people. Here in Kansas, a young guy was flying an R/C helicopter. Something much like the Kyosho Nexus .30. He went out flying by himself, no one else was out there. He thought he was good, brought it to a hover, and tried to get it close to himself so he could kiss the canopy tip. The blades severed his throat and he bled to death.

How in the heck can you call these R/C flying machines toys???

That's my own opinion that I have gained from my own experiences in my life. Thanks for reading.
Clint
Old 03-22-2003, 03:02 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Default Need to Vent

Originally posted by Extra_230
How in the heck can you call these R/C flying machines toys???
Come on Clint, we all know that many deaths in this country and around the world have been caused by "toys". You're going to have to come up with different criteria than "able to cause bodily harm".
Old 03-22-2003, 04:10 PM
thestik
My Feedback: (8)

Default Need to Vent

Toys? What toys? Mine are "Remotely piloted aerospace vehicles"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.