Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

LHS's I put you on notice!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

LHS's I put you on notice!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 12:53 PM
AMA234
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LHS's I put you on notice!!!!

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

What is really sad is that my pharmacist knows me by name, but the LHS has no idea who I am. []
Hmm, that makes me wonder.

My "LHS" is 100 miles away, and I only get there about once every-other month. But they not only know my first name, they also seem to "See me coming".

That's funny, I dont remember seeing you post very much in the crash and discussion forum.... Just kidding!
Old 12-19-2006, 10:48 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do thing here in my store much the same way the others do. I f you are a good customer, I take the order over the phone. If you can wait until I place a regular stock order there is no no shipping. (thats once a week on Monday). If you need it now I only charge what they charge me. I will beat most mail-order prices because it doesn't have to sit on the selve. If you fly with me I'll bring it to the field and deliever it to you. Why? this is still fun for me and most of if not all of my customers are also my friends. I just wish they would bring me lunch more. Dennis
Old 12-26-2006, 03:09 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

ORIGINAL: gboulton

All the hemming and hawing and, as Hossfly calls it, P&Ming, still comes down to some simple decisions.

Face it...the LHS, in nearly every circumstance, is going to order an item from the same place you will...Tower, HobbyLobby, Cactus...whoever. For a large majority of items in every conceivable shape, size, color, type, they will (or at least COULD) pay a "dealer" cost, and then mark them up to the same price as you'll find them on ________'s website.

And, honestly, it's going to take the same amount of time for the USPS/UPS/FedEX/whoever to get it to the LHS as it would for them to get it to your door.

So, presuming the LHS is doing their job with any sort of attention (i.e. not leaving orders laying around for 2 days, not charging unreasonable markup with the false "I can't compete with tower" claim) then, bottom line, you'll get the item in the same amount of time, for the same price.

So...where are the differences?

Well, on the down side, we have taxes and drive time. You're going to take a hit to your wallet by paying the local sales taxes, whatever they may be, and by paying for the gasoline in your vehicle. You'll also pay a "personal comfort" hit in the time and effort it takes for you to make the drive.

On the up side, we have the relationship with actual human beings, exposure to the big blue room, time spent hangar flying at a local RC hangout, and support of your community through your tax dollars and the recycling of capital.

The question is this:

Are the benefits worth the costs?

If the answer is yes, quit whining, go form a relationship with your LHS, and enjoy the benefits...heck, they might even start TAKING to you to FIND OUT what you're interested in having them carry.

If the answer is no, quit whining, because it really doesn't MATTER what they carry, you're going to shop online anyway, and you can save some of your bandwidth by doing so, instead of coming on here and carrying on about it.

Now that was a Quality post.

Dennis
Old 12-30-2006, 03:45 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: JPMacG

I have a related question.... does your LHS charge shipping for special orders that you pick up at the store?

Mine does not. To avoid having to chare me shipping they collect special orders along with their restocking needs and place an order with their suppliers about once a week. This is fine with me but it means I may have to wait 2 weeks for special order.
The LHS thats 15 miles away from here doesn't charge for orders. I ordered something around 3PM on Wedesday, and it was here by 11 AM on Friday. I also get a 10% discount on whatever I buy because I'm a "frequent flyer".
Old 12-30-2006, 07:31 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over the past few years, I've developed a good working relationship with Smith Brothers, my LHS. The owner, Dave, is a great guy and has hired on a very knowledgeable staff from other LHSs that have closed. If they don't stock it, he won't hesitate to order anything I need. If I asked, he would stock requested items too. I do have to admit that I am fortunate that I live only about a mile from the shop, so swinging by after work to place an order, or to pick it up is easy. I find his prices to be comparable to anything I find online. While I do have to pay tax, I don't have to pay shipping. It's also nice to be able to browse through what's new in stock, and they'll bring products to my attention they think I'll be interested in. They carry plastic kits, some model RR stuff and a lot of ARFs electrics and cars. But they still carry the best selection of hardware and supplies in the area. I find myself ordering less and less online and more through the LHS. Though I've been offered and accepted a discount on a couple of items, I'll never ask for one. I've seen several hobby shops close in the area. Paying a bit more is a small price for the convenience, help and service I get.

As others have posted, if you find your LHS is lacking, work on the relationship, make them your first choice for shopping and ordering, and you should see an improvement. If all you buy is the lowest price, then you'll have a hard time finding a good LHS.

Scott
Old 12-30-2006, 07:57 PM
Cyclic Hardover

ORIGINAL: saramos

Over the past few years, I've developed a good working relationship with Smith Brothers, LHS.

Scott
The Cough Drop Guys?
Old 02-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Customer walks into a LHS and they have everything he needs and the place is great, Next one walks in and they have nothing they need so the place is a joke.

When the LHS has to buy thier products from their main competition at only 10-20% less than anyone with a phone or a PC can it's tough. You can buy from your LHS just like you can from Tower if they have a website. Stocking everything anyone wants in the size, qty, color and have it two weeks before you need it is tough on the LHS on a limited budget. Tell you what, try taking 200k out of YOUR bank account and open up a shop and try to make a living from it. Let me know how it works for you. I owned a LHS for a few years and sold everything at or near the same price as you could get it on line. The local club always asked for give aways for club functions yet on Sunday someone was out at the flying field taking a massive order for tower so they wouldn't have to pay the sales tax. Good grief what do you expect when you're LHS goes under? I sold mine to a fellow club member that kept telling me I was running it all wrong and not catering to the local club. Well running my sales reports, the local club purchases didn't generate enough profit to pay the rent each month. The biggest money maker was in plastic models. This "New LHS owner" lasted less than 6 months. Everyone wants you to make a profit, just not off of them. Now the local club bemoans the fact they have to drive 90 miles or more to a HS that has very litte. Oh well, I now own a business that makes good money for way less time spent. I now have my hobby back rather than a business.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Quicksilver1

I've got to agree, the last several times taking the 100mile trip to Albany, NY to vivst the LHS has been almost a complete waste of time. The last time I had a short list, needed some silicon tubing(didnt have it), battery bars(nope), some deans connectors(they had them, but they didnt know what they were called). At the time I was looking for an electric motor, they had ONE.

One freakin motor in a huge store and it was a stock 540. On top of all this the guy running the store looked down right suicidal and could care less what I was building and wouldnt say much more than "yes or no". It seemed they too made their money from RTR's , they had some pretty big stuff too, but unless you were gonna drop $400 on the counter they didnt care to keep your business.

Really is a shame, in my life I've gone through many LHS's and actually only one guy was ever nice, he was a real builder, didnt have a single RTR, and guess what he went out of business............
Old 02-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Scar

Here in Peoria, I live 5 minutes (on foot) from the LHS. Rick's stock reflects his business (lots of car stuff, lots of RTF) but he keeps a whole wall and half of a display area for props, linkages, fasteners, small tools & items, K&S assortment and balsa & ply assortment, tanks, pushrods and you name it.

He will take an order from me by phone, and he (or the other guys) will shoot the bull when I pick up my stuff. I usually can't walk in without making an impulse buy (a tool or a fueler or some hardware) in addition to what I ordered. It's still fun to walk in there. Sometimes they have the laptop with GS3 on the counter for people to use.

If I want to go to the trouble of looking up an item, he'll meet or beat the price. I'd rather he make a profit than save me a few percent. This is a good place to have nearby.

I guess it makes a difference, that I can walk there. And that I can gloat on RCU about it...

Dave Olson
Old 02-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Live Wire

to all that complain
Open your own LHS and shut your cryiing MOUTH[:@]
Old 02-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

I don't know what I would do without my LHS. There is nothing better than being able to stop in after work and grab the parts I need to repair my heli from a lunchtime crash. Makes it much less traumatic knowing it will be RTF the next morning. If I bugger it up really good, I just bring it along and the owner helps me trouble shoot it on the front counter, and then I walk out with what I need.

The only time I mail order is when I find an awesome deal. Lately I have been experimenting with $20 dollar brushless motors and speed controls direct ship from China. Some of them work great, others I throw in the garbage. When it comes to paying an extra 10 percent for something my LHS has on hand, there is no question that is the route I am going to go versus a Tower or Horizon order.

I like them all: kit's, foamies, ARF's, Heli's, or anything that flies. Heck I just bought a RTF Stryker "C" from my LHS on a whim. The nice thing is, my LHS stocks parts for them all. I am starting to think this is the exception rather than the norm.

I would say support your LHS whenever you can. Who knows, maybe if you work with them, they can start stocking what you need. It is nice to have them there from fuel, CA, and anything else you need in a pinch.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:07 PM
jjglennon

Amen.
John
Old 02-16-2007, 02:00 PM
dr_wogz

I have a few LHSs around me.

The first one we frequented has turned into a toy store (computer servicing as well) He got a new partner, and he kinda put me off. They also really screwed up an order, replacement parts from Great Planes; 4 kits worth of wing parts! (Great Planes sent me the parts directly, at no charge, because of his ‘delay’)

So, I don’t go there anymore!

The 2nd is reputed to be ‘The place’ for local RC airplane stuff. But, their prices aren’t cheap, and they have a ‘club’ you can join, an get the ‘club’ price. $20 for the year, and ‘club’ prices are typically ‘online’ prices. And the store personnel (Husband & Wife IIRC) aren’t the nicest people around.

Since I get passed over for service, just because I’m buying 2 packs of hinges, and that I can get the parts ‘online’ for their ‘club price, I don’t go there.

The 3rd concentrates mainly on doll house stuff. Some specialty woods & other ‘neat’ stuff. Nice guys, but don’t carry what I’m after.

The 4th is my usual ‘go to’ store. HUGE place! As they are also a wholesaler. Great prices!! Prices cannot be beat, and they usually meet the online costs. But, the guys aren’t all that knowledgeable & are quick to offer a substitute. If it’s not no the wall, they don’t have it. They will order it, but it can take 2 weeks to 6 months to get. I do pop in, but if he doesn’t have it, I go elsewhere. I don’t even ask.. He's a business guy, not a hobby guy.

But he has recently turned me off, as my wife went in, with my Christmas list. She asked for “servos”. She got two mini servos. No mounting hardware, no horns, no nothing, just two servos, obviously pulled from a radio kit.. (How does this help?)

The 5th store is right around the corner from me, but has been turning into a craft / scrapbook / toy store over the past decade. Nice place, but has an incredibly small hobby selection. He does ‘special orders’, but…

The last place I deal with is mail order. They know me. I know one rep by name, and we shoot the small talk. I make an order, I typically get a reply within 24 hrs to confirm the order & such. I pay only 1 tax, and the shipping $$ is usually minimal, and delivered within a week.. Their prices beat just about all around, despite many who will ‘match’ their price. I also get ‘free stuff’ & discounts as I am a preferred flyer. They are nice, knowledgeable, and a dream to deal with!!

As much as I would like to support my LHS, there’s little point..

My LHS happens to be about 1500km away, but have an ‘outlet’ in my den, and are open when I decide they should be. Delivery is a bit slow, but when you plan you builds / season…
Old 02-19-2007, 12:35 PM
TopThumbs

I owned a LHS through the 80's and 90's specializing in R/C planes. I started the shop from the ground up, co-founded two R/C clubs, held several Club officer positions and am known for marathon builds lasting a week @ 10 hours a day.
I am passionate about my hobby, prefer to build kits over arf's, however I believe they have thier place I guess.
I sold out and 12 years later moved to my present humble abode in a different state. I am a semi retired "Gimp" (I can say that 'cause I am one)

The LHS is approx 30 minutes away.
After moving here I met with the LHS owner. He is always there and basically works the shop himself with one other kid, always different each time I go there and not very knowledgeable.
I told him I am basically bored and would love to "help out" at his shop 'cause I miss being involved. He said "you know hobby shop owners dont get rich doing it it's why I am here all the time. I told him to NOT worry about paying me, we can work out trades n stuff... I would just like to stay busy in the hobby.

he said.... " come back during the holiday season, maybe, we'll see"

PHFFFFTTT

Been back several times over the years and always a new "deer in the headlights stare" kid sitting behind the counter staring at a computer screen.

C'Mon LHS owners... Listen up and do something pro-active. If you want to stay alive you gotta listen and adapt. Stop complaining and do something.

I am now .02 cents poorer

Bill