Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC Pilot Loses Control

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 03:20 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: RC Pilot Loses Control

Guys...let me ask you all a question:

What would you think about putting together a paragraph or two, we the universe community, that could be included with each new "park flyer" (and that sort of equipment) that would try to give some "Politically Correct" instruction to Joe Noobie, and would also warn him / her of the potential legal ramifications of reckless behavior with his / her new "toy"? Submit it to the AMA and the manuf. and see what they think. I'm sure they read this stuff...

I know that there is a suggestion in the packages now, but if the Tx. was wrapped with a cardboard sleeve, (so that it couldn't be used without at least seeing the words, recommendations) brightly colored with black and yellow stripes, with big, bold red letters that says basically "yo dude, if you act like an ***** with this thing and hit somebody or something you could get sued and maybe a little jail time" or words to that effect...

It might sound like a bit much, but remember...we, as a society "need" to be reminded not to use a hair dryer in the shower, and that Micky D's coffee is hot, etc. etc. ya know!?

(I have Nomex long johns on...just in case...)
Old 03-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Mr Hankey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: proptop

Bill...I don't think the end of flying r/c airplanes is anywhere near

But if it were, they could start by eliminating anything that resembles a park flyer and get back to the basics again![sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-27-2007, 06:49 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Manufacturers use disclaimers to protect themselves from liability, not to protect the individual from lacking common sense. We can't package common sense with park flyers--and it's not just park flyers. This mental munchkin wasn't using a park flyer. Passive warnings aren't how we protect the hobby from selfish idiots--that's just an attempt to pass the responsibility onto the individual, which doesn't help us to protect the hobby.

What we can protect it in more active ways. Reach out to local politicians and civic groups. Help introduce the hobby into school curriculums. Have your club adopt a stretch of highway. When you see somebody doing something stupid, intervene instead of walking away. We, collectively, need to take responsibility for the good and the bad that comes with this great hobby.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Mr Hankey

It was just a thought. (shhhh! I do have one myself)
Old 03-27-2007, 08:38 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I know, I know, I said I wouldn't respond here again.

You can put warning labels on anything and everything; you can talk to people and try to educate them, you can even pin them in a corner and threaten them. Some will heed the words, some will not. Those that do, maybe they see the light, or figure out that maybe others know more about a thing than they do, or maybe they mature enough, and life's lessons take hold.

But for those who don't, Ron White says it best:

"You can't fix Stupid"
Old 03-27-2007, 09:06 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

"Here's your sign"... (oh wait...that's Bill Engvall)

You guys have a point...[]
Old 03-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Jim Thomerson

Ignorance can be cured: stupidity can only be treated.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Lumberjack

Give it a brake? JUST DROP IT. The more you talk about it the better of a change big brother will stap in. Just lat it go or you will haee no place too fiy[>:]
Old 04-22-2007, 12:35 AM
tIANci

You guys in the US are lucky, here we hardly have any proper field. We find a vacant land that is not near human population and we fly. Idioticity is what causes problems most of the time. Just a weekend or two ago we had 2 crashes. One was a newbie losing control, don't know what the tutor/instructor was doing. It struck a lamp post just behind the pits, tore half a wing off and flew another 40'-50' into a wall, the engine cracked. Usually, people park cars by the wall and they sit there. Its missed both! Later in the afternoon, one newbie shot down another plane, both flyer and newbie were at fault. The plane lost control and hit the same wall ... again, missing both people and cars. All this happens because some people DO NOT realise that this hobby is dangerous and they take it too lightly. Too much testosterone, ego and too little common sense.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Trollmaster

ORIGINAL: Lumberjack

Give it a brake? JUST DROP IT. The more you talk about it the better of a change big brother will stap in. Just lat it go or you will haee no place too fiy[>:]

Give it a break? Your replying to a thread where the last response was a month ago !
Old 04-22-2007, 06:45 PM
damifino

An RC field in Blacksburg Va, at the county landfill on county land, was finally closed when an 'Autonomously piloted/RC plane' controlled by a Viginia Tech engineering student crashed into a nearby mall parking lot.
Ignorance, disregard for the safety of others and lack of respect for the serious RC flyer should be a growing concern.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:32 AM
JJackson

I realize this is an old thread...I do not care.

I've read pretty much the entire thing and the one thing that strikes me as odd is all the older American gentleman asking why people 'today' accept the ever increasing government involvement in our lives. The real question is, why did you? It only got to this point by people of your generation allowing it to. You seem bewildered by what has happened to America, yet you yourselves watched it as it happened. I think in the future if anyone is able to pick up the pieces of what America was 50 years ago, I believe your generation, the 'baby boomers,' will be seen as the generation who failed America, and instead spent their lives staring at a TV set while the country was turned upside down and inside out. This has nothing to do with RC, and everything, of course. I just thought I might be able to ease your confusion as to who the responsible parties were that allowed the situation to develop without much resistance.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JJackson

I realize this is an old thread...I do not care.

I've read pretty much the entire thing and the one thing that strikes me as odd is all the older American gentleman asking why people 'today' accept the ever increasing government involvement in our lives. The real question is, why did you? It only got to this point by people of your generation allowing it to. You seem bewildered by what has happened to America, yet you yourselves watched it as it happened. I think in the future if anyone is able to pick up the pieces of what America was 50 years ago, I believe your generation, the 'baby boomers,' will be seen as the generation who failed America, and instead spent their lives staring at a TV set while the country was turned upside down and inside out. This has nothing to do with RC, and everything, of course. I just thought I might be able to ease your confusion as to who the responsible parties were that allowed the situation to develop without much resistance.

So what is your contribution to our failing society besides complaining? Let me give you my version of the 1st amendment, go do something with your life or experience an area first and, then you've earned the right to *****! "whine and cry."