Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What Hobby Supplier Have you had a Major Problem With?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
Sheldons Hobbies
17.24%
Giant Scale Planes
10.34%
Horizon Hobby
6.90%
Hobbico / Tower
20.69%
Global / Hobby People
0%
Century Jet Models
13.79%
Lanier
6.90%
NitroPlanes / Nitro Models
6.90%
Cermark
0%
O'Briens Hobbies
17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

What Hobby Supplier Have you had a Major Problem With?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 10:34 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Hobby Supplier Have you had a Major Problem With?

Looking to see just which suppliers are the worst to deal with. Please base you posts, and votes on actual experiences, not what you may have read, or heard.
These choices are based on some of the threads most recently on RCU.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:45 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: What Hobby Supplier Have you had a Major Problem With?

You really should ask "what suppliers have you had the best luck with" or "best service from". This thread could get ugly and shut down.

David
Old 04-21-2007, 03:24 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Yes, I realize that the possibility of it getting "ugly" is there. That's part of the reason I asked for "personal" experience and not "hearsay". Hopefully, that will keep it tempered a bit.
If it should get really ugly, I would expect it to be locked down, or even deleted. Not a problem with me.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:21 PM
TEAMERICA
My Feedback: (77)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think - to be fair - you should have a NONE block. I can't say that I have had any trouble with any of the suppliers that you list. Or at least include EBAY on the list.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:55 AM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

this is easy for me to answer.... O'briens in New Hampshire!
Old 04-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

I'm probably an anomaly, but I never even had problems with Vmar. Richmond RC, rather. They treated me well, as did Dymond, Hobby Shack/Hobby People, Hobby Horse, Sheldons, Hobby Lobby, Hobby Hangar and a number of others including a couple of large conglomerates. I even bought a Kaos with a worn out .40 SF that wouldn't hold a low-idle adjustment, and I fixed it, no complaints. But, the guy I bought it from really bugs me (just kidding, Bob).

Probably the longest delivery time I ever experienced was from Epic (predecessor to Vector Flight), and that didn't bother me. If I knew they'd be locking their doors, I'd have ordered a couple backups...

In fact, I'm buying up kits I might want to build some day, just so I'll have them when the time comes. I hope they still make Ultracote then.

Dave Olson
Old 04-23-2007, 08:32 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a serious problem with Hangar 9....they keep taking my money!!![sm=49_49.gif]
Old 04-24-2007, 07:28 AM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: TEAMERICA

I think - to be fair - you should have a NONE block. I can't say that I have had any trouble with any of the suppliers that you list. Or at least include EBAY on the list.

Additionally you should have an "OTHER" selection......
Old 04-24-2007, 07:51 AM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dumb
Old 04-24-2007, 06:17 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

I don't know what's so dumb about it. Had I known of a 'problem' retailer before I'd ordered from them, I could have saved myself a lot of frustration.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: mcmike

I don't know what's so dumb about it. Had I known of a 'problem' retailer before I'd ordered from them, I could have saved myself a lot of frustration.
Me too!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:48 PM
LANNYBOB

dumb
Old 04-24-2007, 11:34 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only one a long time ago, and he's taken enough of a beating over the years that I don't want to add to it.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:31 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

I have only had trouble with one hobby supplier in over 30 years, and this one isn't on your list.
The person I had trouble with was Darrol Cady. I made an order over the phone. Back then he wasn't collecting the money up front. I called about two weeks later asking if he had filled my order yet. He said that it was shipped and I should have it. I waited another week, called him back and advised him to contact his shipper and claim that the package got lost in shipping. He accused me of getting the product, and lying about not getting the products that I ordered. I told him that I wasn't about to pay for something that I didn't receive and he as much as said I was a liar and a thief.
After that problem with Darrol Cady I haven't ordered from him again. I'm sure he won't know the difference, but I have the satisfaction knowing that he isn't going to get any more of my hobby dollars.
After being wrongfully accused of lying and stealing what would you do?

Greg
Old 04-25-2007, 06:11 PM
summerwind

i can't believe Tower is even listed here...........every little concern i've had has been handled quickly and to my satisfaction.
on one order i placed a couple months back i was shorted a bottle of Satellite City Hot Stuff..............they sent the entire order again............and YES, i did notify them and they sent me a label to return all the stuff. it goes both ways.
Sheldons is not one i've had problems with either.........sure Ron used to be a bit impatient when waiting on you, but he always made sure you were walking out with a smile.

now those who vote against, at least specify your issue?
Old 04-25-2007, 10:29 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"now those who vote against, at least specify your issue? "

HORIZON....I wish they would quit making such tempting planes.... [sm=tongue_smile.gif] Maybe I should see a shrink and see if I can find a cure for this 'condition'....nah, on second thought, life is toooo short!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 04:42 AM
AlphaWhisky

TOWER........ Can`t say I`ve dealt with too many others. I keep coming back to them coz they offer discount deals that are pretty attractive from way down here where we are up against both extreme freight costs and poor exchange rate. I generally order hardware once or twice a year and place orders upwards of $100 to take advantage of advertised discount deals.

Main gripe - actual freight charge posted on the parcel is just a fraction of the calculated freight quoted at time of order. This one is ongoing.

Another example - I tracked down that Tower could supply an obscure OS engine part for around 5 bucks. In this instance I again placed a bulk order for sundry other goods to total in excess of $100. Guess what...? The bulk ordered goodies arrived - but the engine part just happened to get overlooked!

Another example - I needed a rudder for a set of floats in a hurry. A Tower advertised Ernst rudder circa 7 bucks cost would be UPS mailed to me for a freight cost of an additional 427 bucks from memory. I never did take advantage of that super deal....

Another example - Four of us placed a single order for four simple kits - (Fun 51 profile jobs) The idea being to share the hefty freight charge 4 ways. That bit worked out OK, although see main gripe above. In practice, 3 kits arrived in one parcel. the fourth one eventually turned up separately after we pulled out many stops looking for it....

Current gripe - I`m considering buying a new 2.4 GHz 6EX Futaba as currently advertised. Tower quoted me an additional 20 bucks to convert the Tx to mode 1 which is the common mode down here. I suggested they could offset this charge via a credit for the 110 volt charger included - our mains power here is 240 volt. Can`t do that says Mr Tower - the charger is packed in the box. Pray tell me how they would convert the Tx then.......

In my day the customer was always right - guess I`m just one more dinosaur.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:45 AM
AlphaWhisky

I note finger trouble in the above rant. That Ernst rudder freight quote was just 27 bucks - not 427.

Alan W
Old 04-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

If you hit the "Edit" button, you can fix typos like that.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
ORIGINAL: AlphaWhisky

I note finger trouble in the above rant. That Ernst rudder freight quote was just 27 bucks - not 427.

Alan W