Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Being a quest at an out-of-town field

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Being a quest at an out-of-town field

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 05:01 AM
klumsy_kid
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Being a quest at an out-of-town field

Hi Guys,

Here is an open invitation.

If you are ever in the vicinity of Orange, Tx, you are welcome to come out to our field with your plane and AMA care and fly with us.

We are always glad to have visitors. A good way to learn new tricks that we won't learn watching each other fly.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:02 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by redrocker
I have flown many times as a guest at various fields around Arizona. I just try to find out who the field marshall is, ask if they have any objection if I fly, ask if they have any special field rules I should know about, and have never been turned down.

Usually the reception is very cordial, and make a few new friends!!!
Try it. Never assume your potential host will know you want to be invited to fly. You need to ask and I would be very surprised if you are turn down -- I never have been. Always ask what their local rules are and absolutely make sure you have your current AMA card with you, because without it you won't fly at our field.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:11 PM
lnorris
My Feedback: (1)

Default Timely Topic

I just last week was asking around for fields around Canton Ohio so I could visit and possibly fly there when visiting my in-laws in a few months.

I found one or two and was wondering how to approach people about flying.

Also, what kind of plane do you all take? Not knowing the field setup, conditions, etc..? Beater? Nice Plane to impress? Fun Fly?
Old 02-26-2003, 10:39 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default strange place

INorris,
There are a couple ways to approach this.. If it is not a private field then haul your stuff out and go fly.. If someone has something to say they will approach you about such..
If it is a private field then just ask whoever looks approachable to you..
As to what to take.. A buddy of mine is going to Hawaii and he is taking what he calls a "suitcase plane" .. Me, I usually take a trainer ARF.. Guess it comes down to, what are you comfortable with flying at a strange place.. We all get intimidated sometimes when in different surroundings... SO anything you can do to make yourself comfortable is best..
Old 02-26-2003, 11:05 PM
redbluffwingnut
My Feedback: (2)

Anytime you get into the No. California area look me up you can be my guest or any one else WELCOME
Old 02-26-2003, 11:24 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

S.I.R.S field in Bloomington, Illinois is ALWAYS open to guests.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:13 AM
easy2fly
My Feedback: (3)

when my family was on our vacation in maine, we staopped and the guys let me fly my zagi. i was so nervous my stick finger was shakng, and sometimes you could see the wing wagging because of this . lol.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:06 AM
ben flyn

I took a t-34 w/ a Saito 56, an Ultra Stick w/ Saito 91 and a Pizza box flyer. Everyone really wanted to see the PBF fly!
Old 03-02-2003, 11:48 PM
RC709

The Wasatch Aero modelers (WAM) club of Syracuse, Utah, Welcomes all Visiting AMA Pilots to our Community to please stop by and Join us when flying is in progress, and our club has two
requirements for a visitor to fly, we respectfully ask that the Visitor identify him self as a Valid AMA member, and the Visitor must ask one of the WAM members present to sponsor him or her
while flying.
If you are planing a trip that takes you through our area, please go to the WAM club Web Site http://www.konnections.com/wam and review the Web Site Pictures Archives and you will see that our club has many Visitors and Guests join us at our flying facility, Happy and Safe flying to all.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:58 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use to go by a field on my way to work, Many times I'd go early and stop to watch. Only one guy asked me if I would like to try it. Told him I'd been flying for some time, just had been taking a break from it due to starting a family. He offered to stick me on a trainer witha buddy box. Told him I'd love to fly, anything at all, anyway I could. He hooked me up and I had my AMA number the next week. I'd stop by once a week or so and he would allow me to fly his planes. What ever he had at the field that day. I was very thankfull for him doing that for me. Once I got things going I sent him a new kit and engine. Both were returned, denied. I contacted him and told him they were going to be coming back, he said he would continue to deney reciept. I have not been back up that way yet, but when I do I will find his house stick it on his door step and run!!