Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Lathes

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Dart373
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lathes

I am looking at the Taig lathe from www.hobby-lobby.com . Can somebody tell me a little about this. I only need to turn small 4" steel and aluminum pieces...
Old 04-27-2007, 10:40 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Lathes

At that price, I would go for one of the lathes from Harbor.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=33684
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93212
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44859
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95012

Scott
Old 05-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Montague

Has anyone used the ones from Harbor?

I borrowed a Taig from a guy in my club. It worked, and I was able to make the parts I needed, but I wasn't really impressed with it. Some of that is probably being out of practice with machine tools, and it might be better with more accessories.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:59 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Dart, I started with a HF 9x20. It wasn't bad, but I did chase problems every time I used it. All the bolts seems to be made from pot metal. After working all the bugs out, I sold it and bought a Smithy. Just uncrated it last night. $300 more than the 9x20 and has a mill/drill head. But that's not all. It's the details that get you. The whole machine is just so much better made that there's no real comparison. I learned a valuable lesson. (yeah, real valuable, I sold the 9x20 for much less than I paid for it!) If you have the room for a larger piece of equipment, I can send you some pictures of the Smithy.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:27 AM
Edwin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the enco 9x20. Out of the box it was a disaster. I had to completely disassemble and re-adjust vertually everything on it. I have it working now and it does a decent job. You just have to stay on top of it and check the adjustments make sure they are snug and keeper nuts fairly tight. It works for my use for now which is mainly gas conversions and such. I've been trying to make struts and have come to the conclusion, I should have gone the next sized bigger. But for the most part I'm content for the money.
Edwin
Old 05-04-2007, 07:30 AM
ptulmer

Edwin, that's the same lathe Harbor Freight sells. Similar experience, too. The last thing I did was to remove the compound slide and replace the three screws underneath with socket head screws. That made it rock solid and I didn't mind selling it to a friend after that. I think that if I had known to do that earlier, it would have saved a lot of other heartache.

This can get to be habit forming. Ever since the Smithy Midas 1220 came in, I want a Smithy Granite. . .

So what airplane parts do you guys make on yours?
Old 05-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Edwin

Aint it the truth. Sorta like airplanes. You always want a bigger one. <g>
Edwin
Old 05-04-2007, 09:24 AM
kregan

My first lathe was a Prazi:
http://www.plastools.com/tools_for_prazi.htm
I still own it and it is a very nice little machine.

Kirk if you want to buy it I might be willing to sell it.

I then moved up to a medium size Jet lathe and while not
as precise as the Prazi, it does everything I need +

Take a look at

Jet tools
Enco tools
Harbor Freight

and compare features and price

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37565.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	677590  
Old 05-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Montague

Kelly,

While I'm really tempted, I'm really tapped out cash-wise right now, and I don't know where I'd put lathe right now. I'm way over due for a major shop overhaul, at least in the back area.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:58 AM
dionkadet

Anybody has used the Sherline lathe and related equipment? Any comments on their precision and usability?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:54 PM
ptulmer

dionkadet, consider the size. Remember that your setup will sometimes take considerable space on the machine. The sherline is extremely limited. 3.5" diameter isn't very big and that's over the bed, not the carriage. You're limited to 1.8" diameter over that! There's no 3-jaw or 4-jaw chuck included, etc. To me, for that price you can get far more equipment for the money in other machines. (like a 9x20 from HF) Unless you just want to make your own APC prop adapters. . . cuz that's about all it's good for.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:40 PM
sfsjkid

Dart, if you are going to be regularly doing 4" pieces, well the Taig/Sherline, even with their various extension pieces, reversing jaws, which on the latter will take you to 6", you are probably not going to have the torque nor the stiffness required, especially with the cutoff tool.

I've found the best info on the Chinese lathe is to be had here, http://www.mini-lathe.com/. I think you'll find the lathe the begining of a long series of purchases, tooling, measuring equipment, equipment, and you'll quickly end up buying a mill too. Right now, I already see you needing a metal cutting bandsaw

What is it that you want to do?

Good luck!
Old 05-09-2007, 06:29 AM
Edwin

Truer words couldnt be said. This is just the start of long addiction. <g> The metal cutting bandsaw is a good idea. I got the one from harbor freight. I also use it at work. It can be stood upright and a cutting table attached for vertical bandsaw use. Very handy tool for the price.
Edwin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24427.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	680686  
Old 05-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Paul88880000

I managed to pick up one or several machines at auction from my local university,and quite cheaply also.
I found a colchester student,for £800.00.

Also a holbrook for £900.00

And last but not least a milling machine very cheap at £350.00

I have a number of other machines that I have picked up at sales and auctions that I don't use but these are stored In one of my other barns.
This pic Is my main workshop that as you can see Is crammed with gear,and If you go back and look closely at the pic of the colchester lathe you will see my intercom to the house.
My girlfriend will buzz me on this so I can go In the house for cuddles.(Ahem.)

Anyway If your looking for cheap machines take a ride to the auctions,
you can pick up some real bargains.

Paul.