Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

IMAA membership

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 07:34 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMAA membership

I've been a member of IMAA since 1986, dues were 15.00 back then, then they went to 20.00 and now 25.00. I didn't renew this year because my budget is rather tight, and with 80.00 club dues and 58.00 for AMA things add up. I would like to attend some fly-ins this year but most of them are IMAA sanctioned, and they won't let you register without IMAA membership. My biggest gripe is, why is it a requirement to have IMAA? What does IMAA do for you besides give you 4 magazines a year which are now riddled with advertising. 25.00 isn't a whole lot of money, but I feel they could have kept dues down with all the ads that are now being shown in High Flight. I truly feel that paying this membership fee is just lining someones pockets. I am a CD in the Tidewater area of Virginia and I may be holding a giant scale event this fall that will be AMA sanctioned ONLY!!! Giant scale rules will apply, but there won't be a IMAA membership requirement.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:35 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: IMAA membership

then don't join...it really IS that easy......

but don't be upset that you can't fly at their events.......
Old 05-02-2007, 07:45 AM
Dr1Driver

Ya pays ya money and ya takes yer choice.

Let's see, for me:
AMA - $58
IMAA - $25
York Co. Flyers - $65
Sptbg. SkyKnights - $20 (grass cutting also cuts the dues)
Planned membership in Gaston Co. Flyers - $60?

$228 - about $20 a month

Now, I'm not rich, but I CAN afford my hobby. If I couldn't, I'd take up checkers or something.

If you decide to not join the IMAA, don't gripe when you can't attend their events. If you don't join the AMA, don't beef when you can't fly at local club fields. Since you're an AMA CD, you hold your own future. Run as many giant scale events as your local clubs will let you and make your own rules.

And I kinda like the magazines, ads included. I like seeing the different planes in the event reports, the good tips and articles, and the ads tell me what's available for large planes. Things I may not have heard about.

Dr.1
IMAA 20815
Old 05-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bingo
Old 05-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Trollmaster

As I recall, wasn't their some scandel thing in the IMAA mgmt a couple years back?. We had a killer thread on it.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:45 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I make it a point to NOT attend any event requiring IMAA. I had a membership 2 separate time, totaling several years, and never in all the years did get all the Mags as promised. They are a SIG (special interest group), that used to promote large model flying, but now they just publish an ad mag. It appears that is the general consensus in my area, as we don't have too many IMAA fly-ins. Most of the large scale fly-ins are AMA only required.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:56 AM
airega1

You guys are missing the point, which is, why does it have to be a requirement. Does IMAA actually do anything for the modeler? The rules they make can be enforced by any CD or club, always with safety in mind. I think the membership should be a choice instead of a requirement. Maybe I'm missing something, do they provide additional insurance coverage? would a IMAA CD receive any benefits? JPO tried to go the same route as IMAA, but it didn't work.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:01 AM
airega1

Thank you Terry
Old 05-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Dr1Driver

I make it a point to NOT attend any event requiring IMAA.

Gee, and we never missed you.

They are a SIG (special interest group), that used to promote large model flying, but now they just publish an ad mag. It appears that is the general consensus in my area,
But since you aren't a member, and are relying on heresay and gossip from others, you don't really know what the IMAA does, do you?

airega1, might I suggest you actually CALL someone at IMAA Headquarters and ASK THEM what an IMAA Sanction does for an event or CD.

Dr.1
Old 05-02-2007, 01:15 PM
airega1

I've been down that road, and believe me they don't do all that much, except pay thier contest coordinator 500.00 bi annually. The contest coordinator for AMA gets a free membership period. I even read the IMAA announcements and what a bunch of political pooh! I really don't see what they are doing for the modeler. What I did read, membership is dropping off for this very reason, and they're wanting to pass a proposal to let non-IMAA members attend but not receive any awards. That's fine by me. I would rather have the choice of joining or not joining, many others agree.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Dr1Driver

One thing my IMAA membership DOES do is let me fly in a MUCH wider selection of large-scale events than my AMA membership, since so many large-scale meets ARE IMAA sanctioned.

Just think, you're passing up many good events and grousing about a mere $2 a month? Just how much money DO you have in your current flying stable?

Dr.1
Old 05-02-2007, 01:26 PM
airega1

Any contest director running a giant scale event can restrict aircraft to imaa rules without IMAA, and don't worry about how much I have invested in my stable, that song is way too played.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:02 PM
exeter_acres

ORIGINAL: airega1

You guys are missing the point, which is, why does it have to be a requirement.

There is NO REQUIREMENT.....

If you don't like the club, don't go......

IF It is an IMAA flying event...then they can do whatever they want....

but you ARE NOT required to attend or join........

Sheesh

Support... don't support.... the choice is yours....

I support
Old 05-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Dr1Driver

and don't worry about how much I have invested in my stable, that song is way too played.
Ooh, a sore spot!

Exactly, exeter. That's what gets me. He's grousing about not being able to attend IMAA events, but won't join. He's a big bag of crybaby hot air.

I'm shut.

Dr.1
Old 05-02-2007, 02:24 PM
airega1

Hey Driver you're starting to come across like a moron, is it true? Just enlighten me on the wonderful things IMAA does for you.

Oh that's right Exeter just pay your dues like a good boy and then you will be allowed to fly your creation of countless time, money and patience. Imaa will control you in thier events even though its all for nothing. I know why we need AMA and why we need turbine waivers, do you think the jet crowd needs JPO? NO! IMAA? WHY?
Old 05-02-2007, 02:28 PM
exeter_acres

What does it matter????

You need to make the decision yourself....
Old 05-02-2007, 02:34 PM
airega1

you're right I do need to make the decision myself, and if I had the option of joining or not joining It would be much easier to swallow.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:38 PM
rcpilot901

For over 10 years I was the CD for a large Giant scale event and we would sanction it through IMAA for only one reason. We got listed in the IMAA event calendar. Other then that IMAA sanction provided nothing else. No extra insurance or anything of value to the event. So we would sanction it through them for the advertizement and then let it be known we did not require IMAA membership.

Even though I am a member, I don't see them providing anything of value be it the mag or sanctions. The AMA sanction is the main thing and like what was said above you can sanction through AMA and use IMAA rules without IMAA sanction.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:42 PM
airega1

Thanks RCPilot, that's all I am saying, I'm not looking to start a pee-pee contest here. I've been a member in good standing since 1986. I just don't see the benefit, Please someone convince me why I should renew my membership.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:09 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

One thing my IMAA membership DOES do is let me fly in a MUCH wider selection of large-scale events than my AMA membership, since so many large-scale meets ARE IMAA sanctioned.
Actually, the opposite is true; I don't mind AMA sanction, since you have to be a member to fly at most fields nowadays. But I agree with airega, what have they done except limit the numbers of people who would otherwise attend a fly-in if it didn't require IMAA membership. They ARE a SIG, supposedly to promote giant scale flying, but you can do that without having to pay the extra $25 for the membership. You can sanction a giant scale fly-in through AMA without requiring IMAA membership, and open the doors to people who aren't members. If all you want at your event is big airplanes, just restrict the size when you apply for the AMA sanction.

The magazine is good, but out of the three years I've been an IMAA member, I certainly haven't gotten all my magazines, and I have gotten damn little else, except the "privilege" to attend IMAA events. I like going to certain fly-ins because they are fairly close by, or because a group of us will all go together, or because it's at a great field, so I don't want to show up and find out I drove a while for nothing. That's the only reason I maintain my membership. I can afford the fee, but it's kind of like buying a jug of fuel and giving most of it away.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:37 PM
airega1

Thanks KHodges, I can afford the fee also, but it's irritating to pay the fee by having to pay it, or you don't fly. So far I haven't heard anything convincing except, if you don't join you don't fly. That's not really good enough, convince me by telling me I should renew because IMAA will provide something in a way we benefit. The only benefit I see is the mag, which could use some color shots of the events instead of just the ads.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:55 PM
airega1

If you all want to read into something, go to the IMAA website under announcements for 1/23/07 and read what these board members are talking about, "excess giant scale handbooks and what to do with them", "sending some guys to Oshkosh not to exceed $5,000.00"
agreeing to take pictures of giant scale aircraft at a non IMAA event, the list goes on and it's long.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:04 PM
GScale14

This is to all the WINERS...Why are you just now crying over something that you have belonged to since 1986,,I would guess that they could do with out you anyway...Now just a little information..The IMAA was started by a group of flyers that didn't have the means or all the knowledge to get into giant scale at that time. So ( and if you would read a little on the IMAA website you would know this ) they started the IMAA to share information and ideas on how to build.. fly.. and enjoy the giant planes that they had in mind..they didn't have the prebuilts or plans that we have now..YES you are right.. they ( IMAA )don't have a lot to offer other than a mag, but where would giant scale be now if it were not for the IMAA?
And I got REAL NEWS for you ... there's NO one saying you have to join AMA either...you can go to any open field that the owner would agreeto and fly your crying heart out..go to a park..a ballfield...a cow pasture...who cares? If you think the AMA insurance is going to cover you,,,then you're dumber that you sound..AMA is secoundary...your homeowners starts first...and what that doesn't cover then and only then ( and only MAYBE) will the AMA kick in...I work with advertising and let me tell you..if it wasn't for the ads in the mag then you wouldn't even get that!! LOOK at the AMA mag..talk about ads..85 % is advertising... and as for declining membership..ask your AMA dist, V P how many members they have lost...why?.... because of the electric park flyers...yes I am an IMAA member and plan to be for a long time...I can go to an IMAA fly in... fly with the giants eat,,and nap when I want to..and yes have a ball talking with guys that realy like BIG AIRPLANES!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 04:51 PM
airega1

OK I'm done on this null subject, Please close this thread
Old 05-02-2007, 07:07 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: GScale14

The IMAA was started by a group of flyers that didn't have the means or all the knowledge to get into giant scale at that time. So ( and if you would read a little on the IMAA website you would know this ) they started the IMAA to share information and ideas on how to build.. fly.. and enjoy the giant planes that they had in mind..they didn't have the prebuilts or plans that we have now..YES you are right.. they ( IMAA )don't have a lot to offer other than a mag, but where would giant scale be now if it were not for the IMAA?
Maybe at one time it WAS a good thing; today they don't provide anything other than the mag, and you can get that info from a bunch of other places. Yeah, prebuilts were rare back then (I guess the 'modern' word is ARF), but they're as common as white bread today. If they (IMAA) wanted to justify itself today, it should work to encourage building and the development of the skills necessary for it, or have a clinic or two at its fly-ins on how to set up your big bird's control throws, or how to parallel your battery packs, or any of a plethora of the questions you see in the forums from guys who don't have basic flying skills but just brought home a 40% Edge and want to learn to Harrier roll it.

At some of these giant scale fly-ins all you really get is this elitest attitude from the regular big bird crowd instead of an open, let-me-show-you, I'm glad to share attitude. I think IMAA today is a cure looking for a disease. I even asked at the last IMAA required fly-in I attended (two weeks ago) "what do I get for my membership fee?" when I registered to fly. The registrar said "you get to fly". I could do that at any fly-in, giant or otherwise, without the IMAA requirement. Just a way for another group to line their collective pocket without really "giving " you anything.

Like you, airega, I'm through with this one, too, and I'll fall off my soapbox now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.