Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Charging non RX packs with wall wart

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Charging non RX packs with wall wart

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Charging non RX packs with wall wart

So here's the deal, I have a plane that uses a single cell 2500 ma Nimh battery for glow, a 4.8 2500 for RX and a 8 cell pack for lights, they all use the Futaba end. Can I charge the single cell with my wall wart? If so, do I just divide the charge time normally used for 4 cells by 4? If it takes my RX pack 50 hours to charge at the 50 mah rate, then 12 1/2 should be good for my single cell? What about the 8 cell pack? Double the time it takes for a 4 cell?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:12 PM
bbbair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Charging non RX packs with wall wart

NO you cannot use the same charger for all of the systems that you are talking about.

It is all a matter of voltage.
The single cell that you have for the glow plug is 1.5 Volts, your charger puts out over 5 volts. Plus the single cell is a NiMH and in all likelyhood your Rx Pack is a NiCad - Two totally different systems that require different chargers.

If you try to use the same charger you could cause a fire that could take out your entire house... buy a separate charger - much cheaper that way.

As to the 8 pack - it all depends on what it is and how you have it wired up. Check and double check on all of the details and buy accordingly.

This is the wrong time to try to save a nickel. []
Old 05-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Deadeye

So here's the deal, I have a plane that uses a single cell 2500 ma Nimh battery for glow, a 4.8 2500 for RX and a 8 cell pack for lights, they all use the Futaba end. Can I charge the single cell with my wall wart? If so, do I just divide the charge time normally used for 4 cells by 4? If it takes my RX pack 50 hours to charge at the 50 mah rate, then 12 1/2 should be good for my single cell? What about the 8 cell pack? Double the time it takes for a 4 cell?
Actually you can charge a number of different packs with your wall wart. It is explained at the Battery Clinic under "All about Wall Wart Chargers".

www.rcbatteryclinic.com

Old 05-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Deadeye

I wasn't trying to save money, just have convenience. I can understand the single cell, and I may make an adapter so I can use the TX charging end of the thing for my light pack. All the cells are Nimh, and the wall wart doesn't care if it is Nicd or Nimh. Millamps are millamps. My understanding in buying a Nimh charger is for the peak detection, as that does differ from Nicad.

The main reason I ask is the plane in question is a Cessna 182 from Top Flite. She's all scaled out, but the leads for my batts are accesible through the luggage compartment that I built into the kit. The leads to the batteries are so long that my Trition false peaks on the lights and the glow packs. I don't relish the idea of having to disassemble my plane whenever it needs a charge. It would take about an hour to remove the scale interior to get to the packs.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

ORIGINAL: Deadeye

Actually you can charge a number of different packs with your wall wart. It is explained at the Battery Clinic under "All about Wall Wart Chargers".

www.rcbatteryclinic.com

Red, I posted my reply to the first guy before I read your reply. Thank you for the link, very informative site you have there.