Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

How Do YOU

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:33 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do YOU

A poor man in a rich mans hobby how do you survive
How many love this hobby but can bearly make it
There are a lot of use that keep the hobby going
Old 05-31-2007, 11:06 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: How Do YOU

I started at 11 and mowed lawns to pay for it. Then I started working for an office supply company when i was 13 and worked there for 10 years. Ended up running a small hobby shop out of that for a while. I couldn't afford it the way I wanted it then, but now I do ok and have way too many planes (as far as my girlfriend is concerned, just enough for me).

Its a fun hobby, I did all I could to make it work. Now I am 41 and I am still going strong in the hobby. I have seen many come and go, but a few have hung with me and there have been some strong friendships that have come from it.

Its a great hobby! [8D]
Old 06-01-2007, 12:00 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Flyboy

How many months out of the year do you get to fly in your city? my wife has some
friends that live in Bonner and we were up there two years ago in July and the
weather was great.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:04 AM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

ira d: if you drove from Cali to Bonner you passed within 1/4 mile of our field in Sandpoint.
We started flying in April and will probably be flying into late October early November.
This coming Saturday/Sunday temp's in the mid to upper 90's
Old 06-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Montague

I got my first plane when I was 13 or 14. I had a newpaper route and most all that money went in to airplane supplies. My father did help some, and my first radio was a Christmas present. After that, when other kids in school were doing stuff with their cars, I was driving a beatup used Toyota and buying airplane parts.

These days you can do a lot with out much money. Look at what some guys are doing with recycled signs in the SPAD forums. They've taken low-cost, but great looking and flying planes to a whole new level.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

I have to find deals of some sort. Swap meets, internet, wherever. Could not really afford this hobby at "new" prices. I couldn't go out and buy a 33% plane new, it might take me 2-3 years of buying a couple servos here, a few parts here, save up for engine, and so on. But a good internet deal and good timing from tax returns allowed me to get one. Yeah, your taking a chance buying used, but if it's that or don't fly, you learn to be careful and get good stuff. I won't even tell you what i paid for a complete DF jet at a swap this spring.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:09 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: BankYank

ira d: if you drove from Cali to Bonner you passed within 1/4 mile of our field in Sandpoint.
We started flying in April and will probably be flying into late October early November.
This coming Saturday/Sunday temp's in the mid to upper 90's
Thanks for the reply we flew in when we were up there in 05 if I ever drive up I will
bring a plane.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:18 PM
YNOT

I made a career decision and got a better paying job.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:44 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, I struggled for many years back then. Saved lunch money to pick up a servo here and there, went to swap meets, etc.

Only built one plane per year, and that was usually a Christmas present. Once I had a few planes, a new radio might go on the Xmas list.

But things like new radios or engines where cause for celebration.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Trollmaster

It becomes a poor mans hobby when he keeps buying all these junky planes with lousy setups, poor training and being surrounded by fools. They're passing on what they know alright which is nothing. Might as well save yourself the aggravation and fly your 60 size plane into the back yard fence. Least you'll save on gas driving to the field.

Is anybody really listening? No. There are 2 nice looking planes put out by Hobby People, the P-61 Black Widow and that Red Twin Comet. The fuselage in the both of these appear to made of of cheap third rate abs crap plastic. I know this first hand. No I did not buy it but i am building one and seen the other. If you bought one of these, well, return it.

If you so much as fart around one of these, it will melt!
Old 06-02-2007, 08:04 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I was lucky, when I was 16 I saw RC planes and my mum helped me to get what I wanted. I did save up and got my 1st OS 25 ABC and my 1st JR 5 Ch with dual rates, both had just come out then in the 80's. How time flies. I spoke with some really good 3D heli pilots and they tell me that they have spent about USD150K to be where they are today. Talk about spending a lot of money ...
Old 06-03-2007, 01:29 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

It becomes a poor mans hobby when he keeps buying all these junky planes with lousy setups,
I bet...that's what makes forums like RCU so GREAT! You can research your purchases before you lay out the hard cash.