Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

alarming article - terrorism

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

alarming article - terrorism

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 07:48 AM
mobius88
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alarming article - terrorism

this article speaks for itself. I am posting an excerpt here and a link to the full article for those interested.

there have been articles in model aviation about concerns regarding the future of our sport in light of terrorism in the usa. this article makes me wonder what we can do, if anything, to protect the hobby at this time.

excerpt:
-----------------------

Because of the terror threat, the Homeland Security Department has asked the FBI to look into the legal ramifications of building and marketing model mini-airplanes and mini-helicopters for commercial use. A provision within the obscure regulations of the Homeland Security Act is already threatening to shut down the popular hobby of model rocketry in the United States because the propellant to make the solid-fuel is a classified as an explosive material.

------------------------

link:

------------------------
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=31333
Old 03-04-2003, 10:23 AM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Mobius, check this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...485&forumid=59]
Old 03-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Big Sasquatch

I brought this up a while back but I didn't word it properly. I agree with you in that we could be in serious trouble unless we as a group and the AMA stand up for our hobby.

I look at it this way, does gun control prevent criminals from getting guns? No, it prevents law abiding citizens from getting them. I think the same will hold true if the government starts to regulate this hobby. I just don't want to lose something I love dearly.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Mettler1

AAAHH! Back to the good old days of J. Edgar Hoover.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:21 PM
crotts
My Feedback: (2)

There was an article in Model Aviation about this last year. I'll try to look it up and post a link. The short of it was that they are aware and were trying to get involved with the Federales to head off any problems.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:36 PM
mulligan

The most recent Model Aviation has an brief update of this activity- I believe it was in the President's article.

It seems the AMA if fully aware of, and engaged with this issue.

Another tidbit for those who think of the AMA as only an insurance broker.

- George
Old 03-04-2003, 03:45 PM
Big Sasquatch

It is a good thing we have organizations like the AMA to keep the government informed with what we are all about. I think we would would have some much rougher roads ahead without having this national organization. Yeah their magazine stinks, but it is what they are doing now that allows me to proudly pay my dues each year.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:17 PM
mobius88

Default ama role

agree with you mulligan. there have been a lot of people whining (letters in MA) about the magazine, and the AMA being 'the only game in town' and they have to join.

the AMA is not expensive, the magazine is fine, and if you don't wan't to join AMA you can buy 200 acres and fly alone.

but the organization is the only one with enough savvy and hopefully enough clout to protect your (our) beloved hobby in these times, from this ridiculous legislation. for that alone -- supporting, and reading the magazine seems like it shouldn't be so painful.

not all hobbies have as well run organizations to lead them, be supportive.

i guarantee the ama insurance will not be around forever, the way things are going in this country. ligitagion rules are continuously being expanded, while insurers are often withdrawing coverage.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:43 PM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

I look at it this way;
If I were airborn, and in my radio capability, I saw what looked to be a DRONE or something that just doesnt look right, I would try my best to take steps neccessary to disable the threat.
Look at out Aircraft as Civil Defense, not as a threat.
Chances are, this scenario would never materialize, but rest assured, if it did I would try.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:16 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder what the AMA is in fact proactively doing regarding this issue. This is a good test to see if the other $40 we all spend a year on them does us any good.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:15 PM
Big Sasquatch

Perhaps someone in the AMA can respond to this forum. To let us know how the issue is being handled.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:18 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes. What IS the AMA doing?
Old 03-04-2003, 06:27 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they ban RC here then that would almost be the demise of the aircraft sections of RCU and all the companies in this hobby except for those who make ground based RC vehicles. That would be another win for the terrorist and another loss for us.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:26 PM
crotts
My Feedback: (2)

I contacted Jay Mealy with AMA and this was his response. Sounds to me like a mix of rumour and truth. It also sounds like they are on top of this issue. As for me, I think they are earning our dues.

An excerpt from Jay's email to me:

"To date, the source of the rumors is some reporting on the net that quotes an Israeli source as saying some terrorists were blown up while attempting to load explosives into a model airplane. When this same scenario appeared a couple months ago it was found that the report, coming from a non-English speaking reporter, when translated ended up calling a UAV a model airplane. The same rumors started circulating at that time also.

Currently, due to the efforts of the AMA there is no mention by the authorities of restricting model aircraft activities. Please remember, should any significant changes occur concerning this situation the source of the most factual information will be here at AMA Headquarters and the AMA web site.

Regards,

Jay Mealy
AMA Programs Director"
Old 03-04-2003, 09:23 PM
Ptarmigan

That would be no good. However, flying a model airplane takes time to learn. Putting explosives will add weight to the airplane and may cause the airplane not to fly well. Also, these terrorists would have to use numerous device to control an airplane across the globe, because of the spherical curvature of Earth.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:52 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Originally posted by RCadmin
If they ban RC here then that would almost be the demise of the aircraft sections of RCU and all the companies in this hobby except for those who make ground based RC vehicles. That would be another win for the terrorist and another loss for us.
And what makes you think ground-based would be exempt? Remember, car bombs are a favorite among terrorists. Anyone see the episode of Junkyard wars where the task was to convert a full-size car into a R/C jousting/sumo vehicle?
Old 03-04-2003, 11:03 PM
mobius88

Default stupidity

the model rocket engine shipping ban is stupid. banning rc aircraft would be awful. the bush administration has to DO something and they are taking steps. but let's hope they can be smart about it.

your point about RC cars vs RC planes is a good one. Why ban RC planes, when a rental truck was driven into the cellar of the WTC. You can't go banning automobiles can you?

why doesn't everyone lock themselves in their basement for crying out loud. so no one gets hurt. too many restrictions on too many things. what's the point.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:14 PM
mobius88

Default stupidity

the model rocket engine shipping ban is stupid. banning rc aircraft would be awful. the bush administration has to DO something and they are taking steps. but let's hope they can be smart about it.

your point about RC cars vs RC planes is a good one. Why ban RC planes, when a rental truck was driven into the cellar of the WTC. You can't go banning automobiles can you?

why doesn't everyone lock themselves in their basement for crying out loud. so no one gets hurt. too many restrictions on too many things. what's the point.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:18 PM
vtol_guy

guess we should be on the lookout for people wanting to learn how to fly, that turn up to the flying field with bombs attached to their plane.

Seriously though when you think about it, a guy just has to have around 4-8 lessons and then he'll be competent enough to turn it in the sky and i guess thats all he has to do unless he's planning to land the plane. When you think about it though an rc plane could easily have more fuel tanks placed inside and if done right can be an effective little bomb. All the pilot has to do is flick an switch for an ignition tp the fuel then theres a flying bomb you've got. Coudnt really do a lot of damage to buildings ect but lets say that if someone important was outside then it wouldnt exaclty be hard to murder them. God forbid if this ever happened of course.

Also for all the desperado's out there which is virtually everyone i guess. You could buy/hire a boat, go 12 miles out to sea and if TV told the truth your then in international waters, no laws against you flying then. Just convert your plane to have floats on the bottom, jus a suggestion anyway
Old 03-05-2003, 12:36 AM
den1tjb

flying a model airplane takes time to learn

They learned to fly jumbo jets. Nothing would stop them from learning RC. I am part of the group that believes many of our freedoms are being taken away. I am also however a believer that the people in charge can't possibly be that dumb and they will do the right thing.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:55 AM
Ptarmigan

Default Re: stupidity

Originally posted by mobius88

I hate stupid/ignorant people. There is going to be risk always. This society has become to obesessed with risk management. This is what happens when we live in a sue-friendly, overtly sensitive, touchy feeling, and politically correct society. RC planes can't do much damage and using them as a weapon would require lots of coordination. Terrorists will find other ways to kill people.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:01 AM
Live Wire

It will be a great day when RC Chases UAV And not know what they are doing.
Weight limits, Duck tape and plastic sheets ,People are scared anough all ready, Don't stir the pot. The more rummors started the more that get started . A story will never keep the same meaning after handed down a few times. PEACE
Old 03-05-2003, 01:07 AM
Ptarmigan

Originally posted by RC Outlaw
It will be a great day when RC Chases UAV And not know what they are doing.
Weight limits, Duck tape and plastic sheets ,People are scared anough all ready, Don't stir the pot. The more rummors started the more that get started . A story will never keep the same meaning after handed down a few times. PEACE

You're right. Rumors are just as bad. They can scare people. It would be cool if RC did save the day. Besides UAVs are being used to fight terrorists. UAVs are just like RC airplanes. I dream a day when RC airplanes save humanity from evil.