Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Insuring your models?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insuring your models?

Hey guys,
After being the victim of break ins for the last two years, the little *******s that had been stealing from me have finally been caught. For the past two years, several kids have been accessing my garage by prying the jam open in my alley door. They had only stolen some beer and smokes in the past, but on the night of June 10, they stole a digital camera and a 9mm handgun. Now that they have been caught, I feel I will next be the victim of vandalism. I'm sure they will only end up with a slap on the hand, and am fearful they will take out their being busted on me. It would take two minutes with a baseball bat to destroy my 15+ airplanes, with only two of them NOT kit built. 5 years of work down the drain.

I have over 300 hours into my TF 182, and at least 150 into my Skybolt and Extra. The rest of the planes fall into the 100 hour category. I have already approached my homeowner's insurance company, but they have no answer on how I should schedule these models out. What have you guys done? Is it possible to insure a plane for the amount I think it is worth? Do I need them appraised? If so, how?

Once I found out how these little low-lifes were getting in, I have since fixed that problem. They will have an easier time getting through my walls than my doors. But I still have windows. And no matter what, it won't stop them from torching the place.

As a funny side note, they formatted the CF card in my camera. The police and I beleive they have taken pictures of the 'party' that followed after my break in. I am a computer tech, and am quite good at getting deleted or formatted files off of any kind of media. I have already offered my services to recover these pictures, and possibly implicate them further, and possibly implicate some other little punks in the process. I will keep you all posted on how that goes.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:39 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Insuring your models?

Randy, sorry to hear you've been getting ripped off, and happy to hear the turds got caught. Sounds like you need to work on the door jamb to make it more difficult to break in, put a high security double deadbolt and/or steel door jamb there. I guess it would depend on who your insurance is through, whether or how much you can insure the planes. USAA said I could insure mine the same way I insure our jewelry; it's an additional rider to the homeowners policy that specifies each item, with an assigned value to each item. You can probably value them for the cost of replacing the electronics, engines and the kit, but I'm not sure about the work to build them.

I'm kind of surprised the cops won't try to nail those guys to the jailhouse wall for stealing your handgun, they ought to. I hope you can get some good stuff off the card in the camera, maybe they'll hang themselves. I would ask if those guys would be so stupid to come back at you for getting caught, but then they can't be too bright anyway.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: khodges

Randy, sorry to hear you've been getting ripped off, and happy to hear the turds got caught. Sounds like you need to work on the door jamb to make it more difficult to break in, put a high security double deadbolt and/or steel door jamb there. I guess it would depend on who your insurance is through, whether or how much you can insure the planes. USAA said I could insure mine the same way I insure our jewelry; it's an additional rider to the homeowners policy that specifies each item, with an assigned value to each item. You can probably value them for the cost of replacing the electronics, engines and the kit, but I'm not sure about the work to build them.

I'm kind of surprised the cops won't try to nail those guys to the jailhouse wall for stealing your handgun, they ought to. I hope you can get some good stuff off the card in the camera, maybe they'll hang themselves. I would ask if those guys would be so stupid to come back at you for getting caught, but then they can't be too bright anyway.

khodges,
Thanks for the reply. I have an electronic keypad deadbolt, and a 6"X1"X1/2" manual bolt on that door now. Just a knob lock before, which is why they got in so easy. Especially after they 'loosened' it up over the last two years. What I wouldn't have given to catch them in the act with a Loiusville slugger in my hand. The cops would've been the LEAST of their worries.

I will have to check with my company and see if they will be willing to do something. I can't wait for the call on the CF card. It's going to be like Christmas knowing the reputation of those dirty little buggers. Hang themselves indeed. And probably a few of their friends who had nothing to do with the robbery. The handgun is scary, and these guys are already on probation...so, unless the judge is a complete idiot, they should do a fair amount of time.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Conrad, Montana with a population of 2700? Even small towns have these kinds of problems, eh? Don't you have a local Sheriff? Seems to me he should put the fear into those boys....
Old 06-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Trollmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My philosophy is to set an example. If anyone mess with my things and I find out who it is, I do not stop. Just keep going after them over and over in any "legal or barely legal" aspects. But that's me. I wish I had what was going on with Mainer Jim happen to me. Would be so much fun.

Besides all this, I check with my insurance co a few years ago on this and my models are insured for full value as long as i can prove it which is no problem anytime they are (not being flown) Fire, theft and the whole thing
Old 06-19-2007, 07:33 AM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

May I suggest a nice sized, un-neutered Pit Bull who makes his home in your shop?! I've found that it usually discourages most idiots from even thinking about looking around the shop, let alone breaking in.

Another thing you can do is to Bolt some 1/4" lexan on the Inside of the windows. Let 'em break the outside windows, they're not getting through the lexan. Cost isn't too bad either.

Good Luck!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Call a professional and have a security system installed in the garage. You can get door sensors, glass breakage sensors, motion sensors etc...

I think these types of systems would not deter a true professional--but for these neighborhood thieves--it's perfect. They won't know how to defeat it.

Have the security system set up to trigger an alarm in your bedroom or trigger a flashing light in your bedroom--then you know they are breaking into the garage. You could go outside, catch them in the act, and administer some "street justice" before the cops get there. [>:]

Of course, your exposing yourself to a lawsuit and criminal charges if you do that. If these kids are minors--under 18--then don't lay a hand on them or you'll find yourself in more trouble than they got into for breaking in.

Set up a video recorder. Hook it up to a motion sensor or hook it up to the entire security system. Any trigger on the security system turns on the video camera. It doesn't take a big video recording device to cover a garage. Set it up in the rafters somewhere and adjust it to cover the door and majority of the garage. When the glass breakage sensor triups--video is turned on.

My parents caught a neighborhood jackass in the act with a video camera. They took it to court and that was all it took for the judge to smack the gavel and send the little snot to jail for 5yrs. [sm=lol.gif]

Video video video video video video video

Realistically, unless you plan to never sleep--there's not much you can do about it. You can't stay up night after night and watch the garage. And if you catch them--physical violence will only land you in jail. You can't physically harm them unless you feel your life, or the life of your family is in direct danger. Smashing a guy in the back of the head with a Louisville Slugger--over some airplanes-- is going to go over like a fart in a space suit when you get in front of the judge. Not good.

Have a security system installed and think about some video cameras that only activate when triggered by a silent alarm. Thats the best way to get justice.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Deadeye

Great suggestions, thanks guys. Video is of course, the best solution, but unafforadable right now. I asked our Police Chief about my rights in the regards of catching them in the act. Montana law dictates that the property owner is in his legal realm to prevent the theif from running. A properly placed Louisville against the part of the knee that doesn't bend would be sufficient to keep the little jerks from running away. And they might also get a rubber mallet manicure.

A couple of years ago, we recieved death threats (my wife is a former judge, and also caught a terrorist). The FBI ordered extra patrol in our area, and instructed us to get a concealed weapons permit, which I did. That 9MM was my concealed weapon, and my only means of practical protection. No jury around here is going to even look at me for a second if I 'disable' the perps.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:46 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Deadeye

Montana law dictates that the property owner is in his legal realm to prevent the theif from running.

No jury around here is going to even look at me for a second if I 'disable' the perps.
An 870 pump would be perfect. I obviously have no sympathy for anybody that can't respect somebody else's property.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:48 PM
khodges

Montana law dictates that the property owner is in his legal realm to prevent the theif from running.

No jury around here is going to even look at me for a second if I 'disable' the perps.
An 870 pump would be perfect. I obviously have no sympathy for anybody that can't respect somebody else's property.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:49 PM
khodges

Old 06-27-2007, 08:24 PM
pa_28r_200
My Feedback: (3)

About 3 years ago I had 5 little ba$tards break into my house and trash it. While doing so, they found my softball equipment and used the bats to destroy all of my planes. They caught them all. All of them where repeat offenders who had done the same thing before. My only recourse was to file a claim with my insurance company (State Farm)...after a dealing with a total jack***** of an adjuster (his last name was Beaver....imagine that) They finally settled with me. I did okay...but I will never be able to replace the prized planes that where destoyed.

I still get letters from the State attorney on a monthtly basis telling me that one or another of the $%^&'s committed armed robbery or stole a car.

Just make sure you discuss the issue with your insurance agent beforehand..and get it in writing that the planes are covered under the policy.

Bruce

Just a couple of the casualties...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74777.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	712586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65618.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	712587