Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Electric Perfromance as a DF Jet

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Electric Perfromance as a DF Jet

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Trollmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Perfromance as a DF Jet

I don't do electric but I have seen them come a long way in a short time. I have seen many cheapo electric jets of a small size of which don't interest me at all. More and more I am seeing Giant Scale Planes with electric in power and doing very well. So my question could be this. Are any of these electric engines good enough to spin a fan for the average larger size DF jets and pull it with some authority?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:00 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Electric Perfromance as a DF Jet

Trollmaster - what sort of big DF plane are you talking about? The new BVM Electra is 60" and the Vio fan gives you 14 lbs thrust. Jet Hangar's fan gives an ample 12 lbs but you are talking about USD1,000-1,500 for the whole unit (fan, ESC, motor, 1 flight pack on 10S). If you want to come down the scale you have brands like Airpower with the 120mm fans giving 10 lbs thrust, then you have United Hobbies 120 mm EDF units of about 8 lbs thrust.

Go to see what Tam Jet's have done on the new F16 and BVM's site to see the Electra's performance. Watch both videos. For me EDF is just merely 50mm 70 mm and 90 mm fans ... a fraction of the power from things like the Vio fan unit.