Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Over-Powered Cloud Dancer 40

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Over-Powered Cloud Dancer 40

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 04:22 AM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over-Powered Cloud Dancer 40

Just wanted to report that most planes are over powered anyway but have this Cloud Dancer 40.Small,lite and the Irvine 53 did a great job of flying it.Well,I needed the Irvine for another plane and the only thing I had left was a OS61 SF.Brand new.Got it for $50 from a guy at the club,so after much thought I figured what the heck and put it on the Cloud Dancer.The engine is very heavy and large so had to add some weight to the rear.Wanted to see what it did before I cut and installed the cowl. Took it to the field and it did much better than I expected. In fact,not that much different than with the 53 Irvine.it's just that it looks strange cause the engine is certainly the main focal point.Yep,it can be done....Thanx
Old 03-06-2003, 01:00 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I built a Cloud Dancer 60 from RCM plans. I flew it with a plain bearing .60. It handled it OK, but more power would have been nice. I think it could easily have handled a 90 2C or 120 4C.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	60766_21443.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	37553  
Old 03-06-2003, 02:41 PM
Q-Ball

Default C/D

Thanx Goin',
Before I forget.What did you use as a template for your trim on your covering job,or did you free hand it? Really nice looking plane.I just finished covering an Ultra Sport with Gold Metallic and sleepin on what trim scheme to use.I like yours but I'm not an artist.I have a couple of French Curves that I play with on the trim usually or triangles.My templates are usually poster paper.

I think most planes can use less power than specified but it just depends on what you want to do with it when it leaves the ground.My main concern with my configuration was the added weight and ground clearance of the prop. I'm runing a 12X8 and have bout an inch and a half of clearance but with this engine I think the landing gear is gonna flex when it lands and this landing gear has been bent back in shape numerous times even with the 53 on it.It's soft wire and even a good landing will bend them slightly but I keep taking them off and bending them back in shape.At least the landing gear blocks are still firm in the wing,so I've just left the soft wire in there.Rather rebend the gear instead of replace a block.

I don't know if all Cloud Dancer's are the same and of course theres gonna be a lot of difference between the kit and arf.Mines the arf 40 size and since it's first flight it has a bad habit of being jerky. It can be flying perfectly straight and will jerk to the rite or left or it may drop a little.Not a lot,but enough to get your attention especially if your landing or close to the ground.I used to think that it was getting a hit,so changed the Rx and that didn't help and now with a different engine,I noticed the other day when I test flew it with the new engine it did the same thing.I've checked all control surfaces and they are tite and nothin is moving around in the plane itself so the mystery is still there.I just have to be on alert all the time.Ever had a plane do this??

How long you been doing this?? I started back in 82 for five or six years,suffered burn/out then got back in it bout four years later and had to start all over being that I practically gave everything away.Have had all types of planes.AT first sent thru seven or eight planes before I finally decided that it wasn't as easy as it looked and got some help.Since then,I can still crack em' up as good as anyone else but am comfy with it......

Gotta go work on the U/S...
Cheers.....Walt
Old 03-06-2003, 04:14 PM
Goinstraightup

Hey Q-Ball,

Thanks for the compliments! The trim scheme is done with a piece of shelf board, a 4 foot straight edge and an exacto knife. Every plane I have was done that way. The ones in my avitar and my F-15 that is below. I prefer Ultracote and have never had any trouble with it going over itself. Just poke a few pin holes in the covering that's being covered over and everything will be fine.

Your plane being twitchy is probably from being over powered and a little nose heavy. I put a piped OS 46 on a Scat Cat Q 500 once and I had to add a ton of tail weight. It was barely controllable. Heheheh, it was a rocket though . I think some of the jerky ness is from engine torque.

My landing gear wires were a pain to bend and ended up being very solid. I have noticed with ARF's that the wire is soft. You can get good wire from your LHS and bend your own. Then you could bend them a little long and a little fore ward too. I think that would solve your gear problem.

I've been flying since '89. I never stopped. I've been instructing for 7+ years now. I was treasurer for our club for 5 years. My favorite planes right now are profile fun flys. I also love water flying, but don't get to do that as much since I sold my boat.

Name:	60806_21443.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	37554  
Old 03-06-2003, 04:36 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With engines, I always say, anything worth doing is worth over doing!

Nice planes straightup!
Old 03-06-2003, 07:58 PM
Goinstraightup

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2003, 11:08 PM
DBono99

Default Cloud Dancer 40

Hi Guys Just finished the CD. Put my 3yo OS40La in it..Thought IT might not be enough power for the CD..Well the CD flew pretty fast, to my surprize.. Flew faster then some of my trainers that had the 40 in them.. Nicew looking n flying plane..Thinking of building the 60, if I could find a kit on the net or cutter to cut a short kit. Here's a pic of the CD.
Dan

Name:	75302_9500.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	37555  
Old 05-03-2003, 01:03 AM
Q-Ball

Default Dan

Looks like you got it down for sure...Very nice lookin' plane. If you find a C/D kit post it here where to get it...I thought they only came in ARF or scratch from plans.I'd sure like to have another...

Good luck..Walt
Old 05-04-2003, 08:15 PM
Skycam41

Here is a picture of my late 60 size Cloud Dancer......I sold it and the new owner had radio failure on his first flight and totally destroyed it.... I was more devasted than he was...it was an awesome flier and so easy to land!
RIP
Old 05-05-2003, 02:23 PM
Goinstraightup

That looks sweet Canada Goose. I'd be sad too if it were gone.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:09 PM
cabanestrut2002

theres no such thing as overpowered, just 'underplaned'!!