Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Give me 1 good reason why I should buy Airtronics?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Give me 1 good reason why I should buy Airtronics?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:38 PM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Give me 1 good reason why I should buy Airtronics?

I see hobbypeeps now sell airtronics...anyone can please give me 1 great reason why I should buy Airtronics over Futaba or even JR?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Give me 1 good reason why I should buy Airtronics?

Anyone? Anyone?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha...hahahaha..! There is no good reason.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:46 PM
bobzilla

I had to make up the TOP 50 list for selecting or NOT selecting Airtronics..did I miss anything? hehe

1) cheaper
2) better built
3) longer warranty
4) crash resistant
5) longer lasting
6) built in usa
7) in stock
8) works with everything
9) pretty
10) sexy
11) the "in" thing
12) always discounted
13) assortement of many arms
14) higher torque ratings
15) silent operation
16) no buzz
17) hard case
18) unbreakable gears
19) non-wearable gears
20) free replacement parts
21) free delivery
22) shock resistant
23) crash resistant
24) bigger gears
25) bigger mounting ears
26) better mounted rubbers
26) non-breakable ears
28) low draw amperage
29) programmable
30) finer resolution
31) reversing switch
32) built in china
33) higher engineering standards
34) anti-vibration design
35) lifetime warranty
36) easy repair
37) in-expensive replacement parts
39) fits all stand plugs
40) works with all receivers/radios
41) burnout proof
42) higher guage servo leads
43) sure-lock servo plug
44) manufactures direct forums
45) lighter
46) clear case
47) coreless
48) highest resale value
49) respected by industry leaders
and lastly
50) well respected Company name
Old 07-03-2007, 05:54 AM
Roby

I'll take a stab at your question.

Flying Airtronics "might" make you a better flyer.

Regards,
Roby
Old 07-03-2007, 07:19 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

As an Airtronics flyer for many years, all I can say is, I will always be an Airtronics flyer. I cannot say for a fact that Airtronics equipment is any better than Futaba, JR, or Hitec. I can say though, I have never had a piece of Airtronics equipment just fail, ever. At least not without an outside influence, such as a crash. They have in the past, had the absolute best customer service, of any company I have dealt with in the model industry. That may, or may not be the case now, since Global has become the distributor. Part of that great service, was Jack Albrecht, and I understand he has gone to Global as well.
If Airtronics has a radio that will suit you needs, as far as features, you will not be disappointed with one.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:41 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

As i recall, when i started about 10 years ago, my equipment was not based on a a couple people had but what the majority had which makes questions and answers much easier. I also recall the buddy cords not interchangeable with other radios. I don't remember.

I will use the samne scenario on my firs gas engine here shorty. Their are many low priced engines around and iguess fine for whatever reason you want it. Thing is the majority around her have BME, DA or Zenoah, I have instant techsupport.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:54 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are a few good reasons. Absolutely the easiest transmitter to program, I fly warbirds and scale and the Airtronics has the best combination of features for these uses. I personally like the feel of the sticks better on the Airtronics transmitter. Prices more than competitive, As reliable as any, For the average flier much simpler to set up and use. I especially like the positioning and programing on the retract and flap switches. Love the throttle cut button on the Airtronics. Airtronics supports our scale masters contest with a free radio each year, this will be #7.
That said I would have no problem owning any of the name brand radios, I just happen to like the Airtronics. The last reason I would have for buying a radio is because Joe Schmoe flies that brand! Like most fliers I have a veritable alphabet soup of equipment which I use regularly, for instance, Airtronics transmitter with a Hitec receiver and a combination of Airtronics and Hobbico and Hitec servos. Having started flying R/C in the late 60's the reliability and affordability of modern equipment is staggering compared to my first Heathkit radio!
Whatever you use enjoy the ability to fly without constantly worrying about radio failure that 40 years of technological advancement has given us.

Larry
Old 07-03-2007, 09:45 AM
TLH101

Almost forgot one major advantage. Most Airtronics radio have shift selectability, so you can use the Airtronics transmitter with any equipment you may already have, as well as any receivers, you might find a "killer" deal on in the future.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:02 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because they have the best 2.4 GHz system around...oh wait, they don't have one of those yet...
Old 07-03-2007, 11:06 AM
GotSky

November they are coming out with 2.4.. So if you can wait.. It will be based on the RD 8000 platform... I fly Airtronics and love their radios..
Old 07-03-2007, 01:17 PM
bobzilla

some good points in posts..
as far as airtronics customer service..I have received nothing but the best for my JR and futaba systems..from Tower and Horizon..so I put airtornics on par with rest. as far as feel of sticks, I have ability to change the feel on both my JR and futaba..and change sticks (shorter and longer)..and as far as ease of programming..all the programming is I have learned in both JR and futaba has been
like reading a childs book..I can't imagine it being any simpler! but....
I don't fly warbirds..and I might be missing something there!

(kinda late for Airtronics to capture on the 2.4ghz as the major players have captured the MAJORITY of the field by now!)
I am still looking for the one great reason why I would want to buy Airtronics..so far, it's just not there!
Old 07-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Roby

That great reason your looking for may not exist.

Just buy something else and be done with it.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:58 PM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I purchased 2 Vanguard 6 radios in 1986, I . I still use them today, Ive never had any troubles with interference with them like I've had with JR, Hitec or Cirrus. The only problem I've had with them were the front cover hinges. At the time I purchased them I was considering Futaba but they were not offering any radios with 1991 receivers but said that after September 86 you send in your receiver with $40 and they would exchange it for a 1991 receiver, BTW in 1987 they could only sell 1991 radios by law. The only time I took the radio in for service was to replace the Saft transmitter battery which was done on the spot free of charge.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:14 PM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

In the past if your club needed a buddy box and trainer cord they would give it free of charge; Ive never heard of Futaba (Great Planes) or JR (Horizon) doing this. Also if your club was putting on a contest Airtronics would donate prizes. I've always felt that Airtronics were there for the people but to Futaba (Great Planes) its just a business. Now that Global (Hobby People) has it I dont know how it will be; even though I've never had a problem with Hobby People ( as long as you have your receipt).
Old 07-03-2007, 02:35 PM
BankYank

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: TLH101

As an Airtronics flyer for many years, all I can say is, I will always be an Airtronics flyer. I cannot say for a fact that Airtronics equipment is any better than Futaba, JR, or Hitec. I can say though, I have never had a piece of Airtronics equipment just fail, ever. At least not without an outside influence, such as a crash. They have in the past, had the absolute best customer service, of any company I have dealt with in the model industry. That may, or may not be the case now, since Global has become the distributor. Part of that great service, was Jack Albrecht, and I understand he has gone to Global as well.
If Airtronics has a radio that will suit you needs, as far as features, you will not be disappointed with one.
OH Airtronics IS WAY better the Hitec radios,,But then so is Futaba,JR
Pat
Old 07-03-2007, 03:17 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I kinda like Hitec-----------------
Old 07-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like Airtronics and Hitech equipment. I have never had a problem with any of their equipment. The Big-name stuff is harder to program.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 07-03-2007, 04:07 PM
TLH101

The real truth is, no one brand is "really" better than another. In todays market, if one fell short, they would be gone in no time. It's like buying a new truck or car. You either buy your favorite, or if brand loyalty does not play into it, you buy what suits your needs best. Personally I am "brand loyal" to Airtronics and Hitec.
There is no "great" reason to run out and buy Airtronics, unless it's features suit your needs better than some other brand. If you do purchase an Airtronics radio, you won't be dissapointed.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:36 PM
TEAMERICA
My Feedback: (77)

ORIGINAL: P-51B

Because they have the best 2.4 GHz system around...oh wait, they don't have one of those yet...
Wrong! They have 2.4 Ghz in the Car radios and Airtronics has been a leader in Car racing for many years as well as the Soaring circles.

Those of you that bought the 1st generation of F & J WiFi Radios WILL be buying another radio when you find out that there are other features that will be released in the future. Then you will have still another menu system to figure out. Meanwhile they are using your "loyalty" money or "1st on the block" money to develop the next generation.

Global has breathed new life into an already solid radio platform and has retained the best tech support in the Industry as well as combined the best Customer Service philosophy of Hobby Shack/Hobby People.

I have flown Airtronics for 16 years and don't intend to change. How many of you don't use many of your programming features because you just plain don't understand them? With Airtronics programming, you can understand everything and utilize any and all features you want or need. That is why it is the radio of choice in the soaring circles. You can do anything you want with it. The RD8000 is my radio of choice for flying helicopters. It does everything I need very simply and less confusing. When it comes out in 2.4 Ghz, I won't have to learn a new menu system and will get a shorter antenna.

Airtronics has always had a cleaner signal and faster 1024 system. That type of quality and programming is what will set it apart in the WiFi arena also.

If you can't wait, buy what you must now. How many models has F***** or J* released in the past year? Is it because they can't decide which way they want to DO IT? Who pays for all those new styles and programs? You do? And all you want to do is fly your airplane in the simplest and most reliable way possible. With Airtronics you have that with all the capabilities too!

I don't NEED a new radio now because my Vision and Infinity radios are still working just fine. I have no problems and don't NEED any service. That is a better position to be in than being on a first name basis with the Service Center in Champaign. Nobody really NEEDS 2.4 Ghz either. If you want to fly with 50 other airplanes in the air you don't need to worry about getting shot down - you need to worry about getting KNOCKED down.

Oh, And I have also flown Orbit and Pro-Line and Millcot as well as the venerable F & J brands of today. I know what there has been and I know what there is available now and I still choose Airtronics. [8D]
Old 07-07-2007, 12:36 PM
fxrider

I fly Futaba 9C, JR XP9303, Spektrum DX7, and Airtronics RD 6000 in power panes from .40 glow to gas 27%. I find them all to be reliable and really great radios. My only comment about Airtronics is the ease of Programming. I find it very easy to deal with. I also fly Sailplanes and the Airtronics seems to be very friendly to multifuction gliders. I have had Hitec TX's, two in fact, that had problems. A Flash 4, and a Laser 4. However, I have friends that have the Eclipse 7 and love it. I use Hitec servos and Hitec Rx's all the time and prefer them for the price.

Compared to the radios of the 70's we are very lucky to have the number of reliable inexpensive radios available. Futaba, JR, Airtronics, take your pick they're all good, it just depends on which hat you want to wear.

IMHO

Mike
Old 07-07-2007, 02:37 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; When I started flying, I looked around at what was available, and at what other flyers were using. Nothing stood out to me at the time, so I did what you are doing, ask the advice of flyers with much more experience them myself. The only thing that Airtronics did that no one else did, at the time, was that all their plugs had gold plated terminals. That was enough to tip the scales in Airtronics favor. Here we are 20 (or more) years later, and I haven't been dissappointed with my decision in any way, no wait, maybe, Airtronics servo plugs were different then all the others, which wasn't a problem until they changed the plug to conform with all the others. Now I can't buy any of the old Airtronics servo plugs or extensions. If I need to make up an extension now, I have to cut the wire and add a piece to the middle, which isn't as convienient as just plugging an extension.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:35 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can give you one good reason. Frustration! If you want some, buy it. I have had a few. Won't ever get another. I have never had a problem with Futaba. Been flying them and sold them for years in my hobby shop when I had it with no trouble. I sold Airtronics for some time and had a lot of trouble with them. Won't do that again.

It all depends on where you are though. I have friends that won't touch Futaba and love Airtronics. Just depends on what you like.

You can't beat the Futaba 9C, no way, no how!
Old 07-08-2007, 10:59 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been flying Airtronics since back in the early 70's and haven't ever had a problem with servos, transmitters or even their brand-name batteries. To each his own, heck even BMW puts out a lemon once in a while according to Consumers Report
Old 07-08-2007, 08:50 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

I have to chime in here. I fly scale aircraft that take lots of time to build and must have a radio that works or a year of my life will be down the drain. I have used Airtronics radios since I switched from Futaba in 1989 when Airtronics came out with the great Spektra 7ch PCM. got two, have a Vision 8ch PCM got it in 1991. my Vangaurd 6ch has been through the wringer and looks pretty beat up, still works great. in 2002 I moved to the Stylus and started switching to the Z plugs. got a second Stylus for my jets. every thing worked great. I fly at the Sepulveda Basin always have, here in Los Angeles. it is the wild west every crazy thing you can imagine happens there. nothing would part me from my Airtronics radios. then 2.4 came out. I got a Spektrum and never looked back!! my 72mgz Airtronics radios are all in the junk pile now. when Airtronics comes out with a 9ch 2.4 I might come back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.