Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

towerhobbies e-mail notification?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

towerhobbies e-mail notification?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:27 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towerhobbies e-mail notification?

I sometimes subsribe to tower's e-mail notification for a product that's backordered or coming soon. When I get to the e-mail box, there's my regular e-mail in it and also [email protected] in it.

Niether my computer expert nor tower can tell me how, why it's there. Suggestions were that it was typed from my computer, but I've since cleared stuff out, it is also suggested that's it's a default e-mail put in by tower, yet they have not heard of it.

Does anyone else see it? Maybe I should send mr. bundy an e-mail. lol.

At first I thought I had a virus or something, but it's been a year now.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:50 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: towerhobbies e-mail notification?

I'm confused...what do you mean by [email protected] being "in your email box"??

Do you mean there's an email from that address waiting in your inbox?

Do you mean that that address is carbon copied on the email from tower?

Do you mean you have that address in your contact list?

Please be a bit more specific.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:36 PM
guver

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0p?&I=AQUB22**

In the e-mail address box on the website, it has mine and mr. bundy's. It may be called "auto-complete" and it's as if I had typed the address before, but I have not. I've also cleared stuff out and it's back about every week or so (along with my real address)

Lots of forms I start typing will drop down every e-mail I have ever typed, but this one always seems to go to kingkongbundy.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Bad_Daddy

Do you have an active Virus Scanning program and an active Anti-Spy program? Like Mcafee AntiVirus and Spybot? It's on your computer, you just haven't found it yet.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Cryhavoc
My Feedback: (46)

I agree with bad daddy. I'm a technician and if it were my computer, I'd do a scan. I don't let my clients run Mcafee or Norton. I have found virus' and spyware on both of those that they missed. Get a decent scanner like Trend Micro, or Sophos. I hear that AVG's even getting a Microsoft endorsment now so be sure to check them out. Further, do an external scan like the one at www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

That scan is very handy and gives good reports as well as cleans up quite a bit. Then you may have your guru do a full clean on your system. Good luck
Old 07-04-2007, 03:39 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

I'd be rather surprised if a virus of some sort is filling in free-text fields on a webpage...not exactly the sort of thing they do, nor is there any benefit to it. It also seems that this is the ONLY site this happens on, according to OP. A "virus" whose "evil intent" is to email inventory notices from tower hobbies to some address? Umm...doesn't sound real plausible. I certainly could be wrong, but I'd be inclined to think otherwise.

I'd be much more inclined to go with the 'it's been typed there before" answer. Anyone else in the house use the computer? You say you've "cleared stuff out" but then go on to mention "Lots of forms I start typing will drop down every e-mail I have ever typed" which indicates that perhaps you haven't completely cleared saved form information. A quick google search for "clear svaed form information _____________" where the blank is whatever browser you're using (internet explorer, firefox, etc) should give you directions on how to go about doing that.

Finally, it's also worth pointing out that anther google search brings up several various items indicating that there's someone out there with the name "kingkongbundy" that posts on several different air combat, dogfighting, and aviation related forums, so it's entirely possible you've run across this person before, and don't remember.

Just some thoughts. HTH
Old 07-04-2007, 04:23 PM
guver

I use antivir ( I think it is German anti-virus) and it updates and scans nearly every day. I've never had a virus and have cleared out my form data on my Maxthon browser. Most of the forms I start typing in can have a number of real or fake e-mail addresses in them, but I or someone else here on my home pc has typed them. The towerhobbies form only ever has the two e-mail addresses. It will take now a day or week or so for it to come back, but sure enough it'll be back when I find an item that's out of stock and click on the "E-mail Me When Available" button and get that form. Usually when I first click it the kinkong is already there waiting for me.
It is possible I dealt with someone in India perhaps.