Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Vote: Would you rather pay $1 - $2 per month for RCU vs advertising "independence

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Vote: Would you rather pay $1 - $2 per month for RCU vs advertising "independence

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 05:29 PM
pinball-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vote: Would you rather pay $1 - $2 per month for RCU vs advertising "independence

Marc,

1. Is there any way you could get it down to $9.99 per year? People are funny, but I think you'll find that for many people less than ten bucks doesn't count. More than 10 does. You want it low enough (at least at first) that people don't even argue with themselves about it.

2. Are the classifieds that big? It seems that just charging the folks for classifieds is not going to bring in enough money. Classifieds are the one area where you really do have competition.

3. I love the idea of the avatars as rewards for paying. I still think the public radio model might work. For brainstorming: How about stars next to a person's name showing at what level they contribute? Some people contribute money, some contribute their expertise, one big family.

4. If you go with the hybrid model, you're essentially saying that for most people paying is optional. That means you need to encourage them to pay, and if you look at the public radio model, I think you'll see that's an uphill (but not impossible) battle. I think you're going to have to be a *lot* more open about exactly where the money goes. People don't like donating if they think their money is being spent unwisely.

I think Tattoo is correct. The votes are in. Everybody who cares has voted. There's a message there (unfortunately). Strangely, the hybrid model got the fewest votes. I'm not sure how to interpret that.

It's time to start the real voting, with money. Everybody who will pay, send Marc a check for $10.

My advice: Do the least amount of development you can, to collect the money, and implement the restrictions. Wait until you see if the money is coming before you buy new servers, more bandwidth, etc.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Crashem

Default Vote: Would you rather pay $1 - $2 per month for RCU vs advertising "independence

Even charging something for general forum access is of more benefit than you are realizing.

Marc,

You have provided a wonderful vehicle for the exchange of R/C related information and for that I thank you.

I wonder how many people would have contributed to RCU over the past year if they knew that their tips, suggestions, and cumulative knowledge could become a fee based system?? I realize this site costs money.

Is it even legal to collect this information in the manner in which you did and then mid-stream start charging others for it without compensating those who contributed? I don't know just asking.

I wonder if you put up another poll asking which part(s) of RCU is the most popular. I think the results might help you focus on the "core" of RCU. For me its the forums plain and simple. I couldn't care less about your reviews, avatars or other bells and whistles.

Know I realize that as of now the forums will stay "free" but the precedent for a fee based system will already have been set.

BTW This is just my opinion it's your board do without it as you see fit that is differently 100% your right. If many people leave the site you can always take a different approach.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:46 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

No matter how it ends up, RCU needs support. The cost is small for all the info and deals that are on this site.

Free guest veiwing should remain to intice new members, they can still get all the info thats here. "Just can not Post or reply"

Active members will have the full features, and this would reduce the Riff-Raft" as posted earlier.

Many will go elsewhere, this could be a good thing aswell. The total member count now is not a correct indecator, and many of those are "multiple" and "one-week'ers" or Trolls.

Charge for the right to be a member $5-$25? as needed, Provide a service to members that would be of interest and ensure they sign up.

Have a Give away or raffel on a monthly basis, to members only.
(0.10- 0.50) cents of member fees to go to prize fund

Have a 3 and 7 day "Bid type" forum for sales, Members only.

Mom & Pop LHS's could have reduced ad costs via a Forum just for them, and would requier a discount to RCU members.

30 day Gift membership, when a RCU hat or shirt is purchased,
these can then be passed on to others.

Costs are only going to get higher in the future, and to allow all the freebies (well intention) will also cause the down-ward spiral.

You would have to have a M/O type payment method, there is a lot who don't or wont use Credit Cards, even for address puposes

I would sign up at $25 a year if need be, but I think it would be the best step in the right direction no matter what the fee.

Dan Z
Old 03-10-2003, 06:03 PM
Pinhead159
My Feedback: (33)

the one thing i like, a new plane comes out, there are reviews and pictures on here before ti is in the magizines 5 months later.
thats what keeps me here, otherwise, i wouldn't knwo what to buy
Chris
Old 03-10-2003, 06:03 PM
Gastronom-RCU
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Just a quick comment. I personally wouldn't be interested in paying for any 'service' via the internet. Of course this is just my opinion...

My question is for all of those honest guys that have supported RCU over the last year by sending in the donations... Will the donations be forgotten or will you be able to tally up totals to determine if in fact certain users may receive a years worth of service?? For me, I love to support this site when it is optional but that story changes the minute that a subscription service is adopted.
I just wish there was a way to keep this site the way it has been for the last year.. At any rate, good luck with your decision..
Old 03-10-2003, 06:33 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Default My view

It amazes me that people in this hobby will go out and buy the most expensive radio equipment or motors BUT complain that the rubber bands that hold their wings on can only be "re-used" once or twice.

I will have to admit to not reading all of the posts here. It grew much too fast for me to keep up with. So, my opinion is that $10 or $20 a year is NOTHING to pay for the information I've received from here. But, now that I've done most of my research, there is not too much more information that I need on a constant basis... until the next project or whatever comes up.

I'd be willing to pay $25 today as retroactive payment based on the information I've already received. As far as what I would pay for in the future? That's a tough question. Unfortunately, I think informative sites like this will never be able to achieve the level of success this site has if they charge for the "information". I also believe that the reason this site has become so popular is because it's free.

I would not have had over 1000 posts on a site that charged me to get the information. There are other forums (Club Lexus) that have a "paid" member system. You are also labeled as "paid" under your avatar so others can see it. This adds a level of peer pressure.

I think that people who sell something here, should pay. I've personally donated money from some (but not all) items I've sold. I believe this site could become the Classifieds King of the RC community.

Posting pictures or having Avatars is not enough for me to pay for. In fact, you'd have to come up with ways to block e-mail and putting e-mail addresses in posts or people will just exchange pics that way.

I would be in favor of a hybrid. Advertisers and Buy-Sell would pay for most of it. Then you could have Gold, Silver, Bronze (or .40 size, 25%, and 40%) members who pay a certain amount. The limits could be the amount of posts viewed per day or amount of posts posted per day, etc.

If it was $10-20 a year, I'd be a gold member.

Mike- Sorry, I told myself I wouldn't write a novel......
Old 03-10-2003, 07:11 PM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My view

Originally posted by MHawker
It amazes me that people in this hobby will go out and buy the most expensive radio equipment or motors BUT complain that the rubber bands that hold their wings on can only be "re-used" once or twice.

I was talking to a ham radio Op this morning who is about 40 miles South of me.
He told me that he can't afford the $25.00 a year fee (if it goes that high And I think thats fair).because he has a wife and 2 kids to support
But he was mobile heading to Delaware to buy a new Mobile 2 meter rig for $329.00
Figure that one out.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:11 PM
hookedonrc

I have given my input and believe the Hybrid method would be the best, it just wasn't an option when I voted. However, what I think is scary here is that this question has been out for two full days (and those were weekend days) plus today. The results of the voting whether postive or not only represent 0.0116333% of the total membership using 30,000 as a base. Wonder what the other 99.98367% think?
Old 03-10-2003, 07:34 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, 30,000 X $1 = $30,000 per month. Are you hiring :^) If RCU would offer insurance I'd cancel AMA and go with you for sure <G> Jon
Old 03-10-2003, 07:36 PM
mvigod
Banned

Ok...I think we now have a good idea of what members are thinking so I have to put this one to bed at the 200+ post mark...enough votes and opinions have weighed in that I know what might work, what might not work and what I should consider trying or not trying.

Everyone can relax in the fact that the ability to discuss RC at this site will remain open. If you want to post a question you can do so. You can read through posts and find answers. However just like ebay or newspapers I think that most would agree it is fair to charge some fair dollar figure for those who sell their stuff here. Millions agree with that concept already with ebay as an example.

For those who don't want to buy into the basic member package the only restrictions proposed are:

No avatar, no signatures, no photo gallery, no option to turn off ads (don't worry...I'm not going to do popup ads!), a smaller PM inbox. This user could still post a classified ad but would pay a per item listing fee which will be reasonable I assure.

There will be more features added to RCU and some of them may be included for non paying guests while others may not be. Some of these services you will be able to buy on a per use basis or if of no interest you don't have to buy them.

As for some base forum fee for general discussion access that likely will not be the case unless the hybrid model proves it cannot work. If it doesn't work I see no reason why we could not have a discussion only package for as little as $2-$4 per year. If it comes to that and you can't afford that over the course of a year than I don't know what to tell you.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:41 PM
denysy

Default RE: Vote: Would you rather pay $1 - $2 per month for RCU vs advertising "independence

If the choice is between advertisment on every step and paying I chose to go to another forum, like RC groups or Torqueroll they are free and some of them plan to have a free marketplace!
Old 12-16-2003, 03:58 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: Vote: Would you rather pay $1 - $2 per month for RCU vs advertising "independence

deleted
Old 12-16-2003, 04:51 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

I come here just about daily.
Don't know of any others, but I guess I should.
Used to be on RCO, then had these problems. Moved to RCA, and then it too seemed to have these problems. Moved here when RCA merged.
We've started our own forums page, but we rarely have time to maintain it, nor do we really get a lot of traffic [through the forums] but we do offer other 'freebies' which get a lot of attention.

I understand this 'hobby' has had to becomn a business because of the amout of 'cool features' and the hours required for 'basic maintenance'...

But I won't pay for it. If I pay for it, I want somwething to touch, to hold onto. Mag subs at least give you that.. something I can touch, show others, put away, and I can drag into the can and read at my leasure.... I pay for my TV, because it also has choices and variety. And i get information that I choose to pay for... (Actually, I used to not have a TV, just a monitor and a VCR..)

You gotta give something in order to get soemthing. I view this forum, and all other I view as a free 'social' meeting place. This is, afterall, basically a glorified 'privately owned' news group. If you gave each paying sub a free hat, then I think you'de get more responces... Again, getting something to hold onto, to 'show off'

Ads, what ever. they are a fact of life. they are everywhere.. they are the ones who are supposed to pay the bills. The banner ads you do have seem to be few (2 or 3 dozen) and banner advertising isn't the best / most effective form I bet.. Nor pop-ups.

What happned to the idea of 'forum sponsorship' that RCA had? couldn't you adopt soemthing like that? Why can't the large manufacturers and resellers be apporached to advertise? Like they do in the mags (one particualr mag comes to mind, being more ads than articles...)

I beleive we all expect, since paying a 'service fee' to an 'internet provider' that most shoudl be free. Why pay a fee, then a fee, then a fee... I beleive teh idea of teh internet was to offer a free exchange of ideas / information.

Ultimately, the hybrid idea is probably the best: to keep teh forums alive and full!! and to get a bit form people who want more out of the site... I never sell or buy from the site (various reason, being 'foreign' for one..), and really don't bother with anything else here...

I've written a few reviews already, which I bet is more than most here.. and will probably soon write a few more, as the planes become flyable... All I've gotten is recognition...

there, said my bit in my [typically] bad typing..
Old 04-28-2004, 06:54 PM
Chris-_-Memphis

whats the status of this? .. id pay!...it would cut down on all the posers who enjoy talking and not fly/building

bump!
Old 04-28-2004, 07:34 PM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

I'm glad you bumped this. This is my first time reading it. Sure I'd pay. I've gained alot of knowledge here on RCU. I probably spend on the average at least 2 hours a day on this site. Its well worth the price to me.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:24 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Then why don't you pay the $20 bucks to upgrade your account?
Old 04-28-2004, 08:34 PM
Chris-_-Memphis

didnt know you could.. but after looking at the options none of it applies to me.. i dont sell/buy in the marketplace and i have my own website if i need to upload pics i can... but still think a small fee would be great and enable rcu to add even more features
Old 04-28-2004, 08:42 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Then put your money where your mouth is and kick in the $20 bucks. I did and I don't really sell stuff or post pictures in the gallery. I just wanted to support a site that I spend a lot of time on.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:02 PM
aimmaintenance

Ya I'd pay.
My INITIAL thought is,, If ya don't pay ya don't post. Sure non payers can read but they shouldn't be able to post.

I realize the internet biz is different from the construction biz but if I lose a few customers that aren't willing to pay my price then so be it. I'll stick to the customers that are.
I'm wondering if your stuck in the (getting started dillema)
By this I mean that I know to get any business off the ground ya need to cut some deals, work for less, take some hits, but after awhile ya gotta tell yourself that getting started is over and now it's time for profit.. Without profit, getting started will turn into getting out of it,,, soon!

You got like 100,000 people here now. I think getting started is over.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:12 PM
dunk-RCU

I don't really sell stuff or post pictures in the gallery. I just wanted to support a site that I spend a lot of time on. Like some others I don't sell or buy just read and learn more and more. However Mark and his crew WOULD NOT accept my $20 money Order without a processing fee... I contributed to the old board did you? When my money will be accepted without using plastic I will contribute... I do not ask for advance features... just to support the best board in RC...
Old 04-28-2004, 11:48 PM
granpac

I enjoy RCUniverse very much and would hate to see it "go under". The format as it is has advertising and I for one like to see the products advertised. Without them it would not be the same nor as appealing as it is to me.

I think there are ways to make this work but it would take some time to make it happen. I would do a few things and to start with one would be to continue to advertise. Two would be to sell your RCuniverse caps for $25.00. This would also include a years membership and be self promoting at the same time. The more caps you buy the better your margin and the more operating funds.
To keep this "ball " in the air come up with other products that RC'ers would pay for with their "annual dues".

To market something that has been free for a fee is a hard thing to do but I think it can be done.

Best of luck.

Granpac
Old 04-29-2004, 12:30 AM
mvigod
Banned

Any member can upgrade at several levels on RCU. Even if you don't use the particular "advantages" to the upgrade you can still upgrade as a way to support the site. At the very least you can show others you have helped out as a plaque appears on your posts and ads based on the level of upgrade/support.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/signup/reg-upgrade.cfm

We can do upgrades without plastic but charge a small processing fee because our bookeeper has to bill us for the time it takes to deposit, enter it, log it, go to the bank, etc. It is minimal.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:54 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL! Marc is only a "Trading Plus" member!!
Old 04-29-2004, 01:51 AM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: Kmot

LOL! Marc is only a "Trading Plus" member!!

Yup..you will see my level vary often as I test the software behaviour for different levels
Old 04-29-2004, 02:02 AM
MarkNovack

Keep the ads. They are a good source of trends and what's new information. Sometimes I see good deals and thinkgs that interest me. Heck, the last time I bought a newstand rag it was just to see what is new on the market, not for the remarkable reviews over things that do not interest me in the least. Let the advirtisers who profit from our presence pay our bandwidth bills. The site suffers no loss of speed that I can see and the ads add nice colors.

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.