Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Long Term Storage Solutions

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Long Term Storage Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 02:43 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Term Storage Solutions

I don't know if anyone remembers me since I've only been around the car forums for the past year or two, but I'm leaving RC airplanes for a few years...or more, I don't know exactly. I have three planes, all glow fuel 2 strokers, and I was going to put a few drops (or more) of after run oil in each one, seal up the carb and exhaust, and hang the planes on the ceiling for display. Is that a sensible solution or will I be looking at replacing the engine when I go to start 'er up after a few years?

Oh, and I'm not leaving RC entirely, I'm still going to use the RC cars daily or weekly. Its much more convenient for me to just grab the fuel and tools, and head out to someplace to bash, or drive in my backyard at the end of the day. I might even invest in a rock crawler.

Thanks all you airplane folks for all your advice and solutions to problems I've encountered. Maybe one day, I'll be able to pay it forward and help out some newbie at the field.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:27 PM
chashint

Default RE: Long Term Storage Solutions

If you oil them the engines should be fine.
The batteries and the innards of the fuel tanks might not be so lucky though.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Long Term Storage Solutions

Oil the engines, plug the muffler outlets and carburator intakes. You can use capplugs, or just some foam earplugs work great. Be sure to run all the old fuel out, then pour in the after run- I'd use a healthy dose. Take the batteries out, store them in a cold dry place. Or you could just sell them now since you know you won't run the planes for a few years. They currently work, but will be, IMO, unsafe to use years down the line. I've left batteries installed in planes long term, and somehow the black wire will rot, and kill the switch as well, so this is one reason you don't want to keep them plugged in. The fuel lines a lot of times will develop pinholes and cracks when you go to use them years later, so plan on replacing all the lines.