Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Keeping People Flying

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping People Flying

Is this forum to keep people flying or get the Old Fart out so I have more air time.This should get interesting when you are WAY' past seventy or around it and you have not had a plane in the air in 2 MONTHS.
Yes there are some that try to keep you flying But how many want you out
Larry K
SORRY this is not a T
Old 07-19-2007, 05:33 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Keeping People Flying

This forum is all about keeping everyone flying, requardless of age. There are those that will need help in later life, but then again that is what life is all about, helping mankind and your fellow flyer. Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 72 and still flying control line and going to contests. I expect that I will take up RC in a few years. I want to sit on the bench and fly stick and tissue park fliers down at the churchyard at the end of the road.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:42 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Larry, you forgot to take the "Blue" pill again didn't you?
Old 07-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

No! Not the blue pill! He'll be knocking stuff off of his building table everytime he turns around.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Live Wire

Robo
I am aready doing that

I'm on the pink ones
Old 07-21-2007, 03:53 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

The blue ones made me see blue! But otherwise...I like em![&:]
Old 07-21-2007, 06:51 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet the average "ol fart" can fly better than a fair percentage of the newer guys. Besides, ever watch an ol fart do 3d?. Like a "Ford Pinto with Firestone Radials." Just kick back in the chair and watch the show![X(] Like flying a speed plane with a cataract!
Old 07-21-2007, 11:17 AM
carrellh

We have several guys in our club who are 70 or older. Two of them fly as much as, or more than, any of the rest of us. They are both instructors also. I'd ask either of them to maiden a new plane for me with no hesitation.

Some of the others are occasional flyers. Even though they are 'retired' they all have jobs, or wives, that keep them pretty busy.

We have a handful of guys who pay dues, attend meetings, particpate in work days, and come to the field often; but almost never bring a plane with them. Some of them have flown for years, while others got interested later. One of these guys, who is still a student, had to have heart surgery soon after he joined the club. He cannot tolerate sun and heat for very long, so, he works with his instructor when he can and just visits when he cannot fly.

As a whole, our club is as much a social thing as a flying thing. Some members are 'power flyers' while others are happy to hang out all day and do just a few flights.

My brother is one of the 'power flyers.' He'll take 3 or 4 planes to the field and fly them back to back as soon as he gets there; then he'll fly each one a few more times. On top of that, he's helping me get my stuff set up and buddy-boxing me.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Live Wire

carrellh
That might be my problem When I make it to the field I help any one that needs it, and give instruction with my own trainer. But I do like to fly I take as many as 5 plane out and I do not let them set and make sure I don't bother any one else and let them fly.
The thing I like is to watch these younger flyers put their 3ds 4ds and heli's through there borderline flight [X(][][&o][:@]

OOHH and I for got A1 and his Jet
Old 07-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I;m 70 . Still teaching how to fly, test flying planes, etc. A lot of the younger guys don't have time to read up on aerodynamics so they come to me for advice when the have a quirk with their planes and I can explain to them why it's doing such and such a thing. I'm glad to give them a hand and they're glad to have someone to go to for answers, so it's a win, win situation. I'm still learning to fly eggbeaters.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Live Wire

flypaper 2
Would you believe a lot of the younger set does not know what an eggbeater is I love building and that keeps me out of trouble "sometimes"
Old 07-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Flypaper 2

Yeah, I guess they called helis that in the Korean war. Dating myself.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:32 PM
red head

We all have our place, some just can't accept theirs. 72 and still doing it all !!! ENJOY !!! RED
Old 07-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Live Wire

Red
I bet you can fly wit the best of them
Old 07-26-2007, 06:20 PM
red head

RC,
I try !! and I still teach when ASK, thats my fee for my services --- ASK. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 08-19-2007, 01:18 AM
Grampaw

Lighten up Larry, it's just gonna get worse! As each day passes, medical science makes it easier for us Senior Citizens or "Old Farts" to live longer. So in that light you can look forward to seeing us around the strip for a few more years to come! Now be a good boy and go take your medicine so you too will last long enough to become an "Old Fart!"
Old 08-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

I started flying RC in 1967 and have been continuously in the hobby ever since. I'm now 65 and flying much better than 20 years ago. That's not my point of writing this.

Several years ago I flew with a good friend who was several years my senior. After watching him crash a couple of planes in a couple of months I bought a buddy cord. By this time he was 80 years old. I suggested to him that he might want to let me fly with him on the buddy cord. At first he was a little reluctant because he had been flying RC since the early 1950s. Walt Good was one of his good friends. Anyway, for the sake of his planes, he relented and we started flying on the buddy cord. My only function was to save the plane when his attention drifted off. As an example, when doing a loop, it would turn out to be the dreaded figure 9 if taken to conclusion. I would take over and then give it back to him. It's hard for someone to imagine how much fun and renewed confidence he had. We carried this on for several more years until he passed away. I hope, when I get really old, someone will do this for me.

He never lost another plane. His name was JW Jones from Dallas Texas
Old 08-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Wild Foamy

the guy who taught me to fly is almost 80 and he has a little foam biplane with a brushless motor and a lipo, he can fly with the best of them! :P
Old 09-02-2007, 02:55 AM
Grampaw

Big Bird, it is has been said "Actions speak louder than words." Your actions allowed your late friend to continue to enjoy his hobby, retain his dignity and preserve his plane(s) for more days of enjoyment. I have 10 years on you, still flying, still enjoy good eye and hand coordination (the brain takes a break sometimes!) When the time comes that I need help, and we all will at some point, I hope a guy walks up dragging a Buddy Cord. You done good!
Old 09-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks Grampaw. Actually, I had as much fun and satisfaction out of helping him as he did flying. It was always fun to listen to him talk about the flight that we had just made.