Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and Real Planes - Can

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and Real Planes - Can

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 08:07 PM
tuskegee pilot
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and Real Planes - Can

Survey – Unmanned Airplanes, Airlines, and the Flying Public

Objective of this survey:
Hello Fellow Modellers! I have been flying for years in this hobby and I love it. I am doing some personal research to determine the flying public’s perception of unmanned aerial vehicles flying along side of commercial airliners and in the National Airspace System.

Background to the question:
This unmanned “pilot less” airplane or UAV is probably operated by the US military, or some research agency such as NASA. It is flown remotely.

Directions:
Please take 1 minute of your time to fill out the attached survey. There will be a scale of 1 to 5, ranging from very uncomfortable to very comfortable. Only your responses will be included in the survey results. PLEASE RESPOND NO LATER THAN AUGUST 10, 2007.

You can email me at [email protected] with your responses or include them here.

Scale:
1 = very uncomfortable-would not consider at all
2 = uncomfortable – reluctant, but would be interested in trying after the technology has been in service for 10 or more years
3 = Not Sure/Undecided
4 = comfortable – like to see this technology incorporated and would be willing to try it after 2 to 5 years of being in service
5 = very comfortable – would try it as soon as the technology was incorporated to the flying public

Survey:
__________1. The thought of flying in an airplane/airliner knowing that an unmanned airplane is able to fly in the same vicinity makes you feel…..

__________2. The technology exists for unmanned aerial vehicles to safely fly in any flight level of commercial airspace. The thought that these pilot-less aircraft are flown in the United States, makes you feel…..

__________3. A majority of commercial aircraft can be flown without seeing out of the cockpit window but by instrumentation such as collision avoidance and weather radar software and guidance from air traffic control personal. The fact that pilots sometimes have to rely on instruments instead of their vision makes you feel…..

__________4. Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) have the capacity to take off, climb to a designated altitude (from 300 feet to 50,000 feet), obtain data via cameras and sensors, perform research or tactical missions, and return to a pre-selected base or airport. All of the while, these vehicles are unguided by a pilot operator onboard. Knowing that these aircraft are flying above your neighborhoods, towns, and cities, makes you feel….

_________5. Some items that we as society use everyday are unmanned or not manually operated by a human being. Some of these include elevators in office buildings, escalators in malls, subway trains in and around airports, monorails (raised track trains that are used to transport travelers around theme parks, etc), and amusement rides. All of these technologies have person monitoring they status or performance. However, those individuals do not reside in the actual vehicle. The use of these items makes you feel…..
Old 07-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and Real Planes - Can

Friend who flys military APV's was given, and used, a cell phone to talk with local air traffic control during training flights.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:23 PM
tuskegee pilot

Wow! That is great. Would you mind responding to the attached survey?

Old 07-26-2007, 08:36 PM
theradioflyer

Interesting survey, may I ask the intentions?

God bless
Old 07-26-2007, 09:32 PM
tuskegee pilot

[size=2]school project at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, Florida.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:35 PM
tuskegee pilot

No big brother.

Just a simple survey.

We are a skeptical bunch aren't we.

I know, I work in a technical field.

Analyze it first and then maybe believe it later after enough people prove it to be true.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:59 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: tmw09
Scale:
2 = uncomfortable – reluctant, but would be interested in trying after the technology has been in service for 10 or more years
3 = Not Sure/Undecided
4 = comfortable – like to see this technology incorporated and would be willing to try it after 2 to 5 years of being in service
5 = very comfortable – would try it as soon as the technology was incorporated to the flying public

Survey:
__________1. The thought of flying in an airplane/airliner knowing that an unmanned airplane is able to fly in the same vicinity makes you feel…..

__________2. The technology exists for unmanned aerial vehicles to safely fly in any flight level of commercial airspace. The thought that these pilot-less aircraft are flown in the United States, makes you feel…..

__________3. A majority of commercial aircraft can be flown without seeing out of the cockpit window but by instrumentation such as collision avoidance and weather radar software and guidance from air traffic control personal. The fact that pilots sometimes have to rely on instruments instead of their vision makes you feel…..

__________4. Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) have the capacity to take off, climb to a designated altitude (from 300 feet to 50,000 feet), obtain data via cameras and sensors, perform research or tactical missions, and return to a pre-selected base or airport. All of the while, these vehicles are unguided by a pilot operator onboard. Knowing that these aircraft are flying above your neighborhoods, towns, and cities, makes you feel….

_________5. Some items that we as society use everyday are unmanned or not manually operated by a human being. Some of these include elevators in office buildings, escalators in malls, subway trains in and around airports, monorails (raised track trains that are used to transport travelers around theme parks, etc), and amusement rides. All of these technologies have person monitoring they status or performance. However, those individuals do not reside in the actual vehicle. The use of these items makes you feel…..
1. 5
2. 5
3. 5
4. 5
5. 5
Old 07-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Clark L

1. 5
2. 5
3. 5
4. 5
5. 5

Question five came close and you seem to be leading up to it but you still didn't ask...

________ 6. How do you feel about being a passenger in an unmanned aerial vehicle?

NO @&*#ing WAY!

Old 07-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Announcement. "This is a fully automatic airplane. it will fly the quickest and safest route to your destination. Nothing can go wrong. . .go wrong. . . go wrong."[]
Old 07-27-2007, 12:20 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

1. 1
2. 1
3. 1
4. 1
5. 1

As you can see from my responses, I don't care much for BIG brother, letting the terroists win, or more Janet Reno style slippage.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm only unconfortable giving answers to someone I don't know, especially since I'm aware that our gov has already made the decisions relating to this survey.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:06 PM
meaden

I agree Silversurfer. I've been watching this thread trying to think of a way of saying that diplomatically.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:35 PM
tuskegee pilot

Guys. You all read way too much into the threads. I am just a poor guy working my way thru school at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. Stop being so parinoid and answer the survey if you wish. If not, don't answer it. It is for my graduate class. I am interviewing many groups of people at shopping malls, at work, at the flying field, on rcuniverse, my friends and family. Generally, you send out a survey, some people answer and some people don't. you aim for 1000 and expect 100 responses. It happens all the time in every industry.

What type of computer do you have?

Where do you like to shop for your food products?

What do you think of traveling to the moon one day?

There is about as much thought that I put into those 3 questions right there as passing gas.

It is not that difficult. Just read it for what it is worth.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:48 PM
tuskegee pilot

I can send you a picture and give you my mailing address if that makes you feel better.

But, then the tables would be turned and I would be concerned about you....don't be so parinoid.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:52 PM
tuskegee pilot

My company works on this plane. Just a small part of it. The engines....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38912.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	730998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48078.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	730999  
Old 07-27-2007, 07:30 PM
Tired Old Man

OK, I'm a 5 in all areas except #4, where I don't like the thought of surveillance systems, manned or unmanned, over flying and observing me and mine in our everyday normal activities. Any way you look at it, that's intrusive and dives deeply into personal liberties and privacy.

Since I work in the field and operate the things in an ISR and targeting capacity I know all to well what they can do, and they can do much, much more than people are aware of. It's Orwellian as hell.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:37 PM
tuskegee pilot

Silver Surfer:

Thanks for the great response. That is what I was looking for!!!!

I am just doing the research for this course. It is an interesting topic to say the least. I do not know of any body who works in this field, but I read a lot. It is neat to know that some of this technology had as its humble beginnings a model airplane in its lineage. But things evolve and become more advanced as the technology increases, as you may very well know.

My thesis is that even though people recognize the technology as being capable, they may not be willing to accept the UAV technology. You response supports that.

tmw09
Old 07-27-2007, 08:42 PM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1. 2
2. 2
3. 2
4. 2
5. 3
Old 07-27-2007, 09:28 PM
tuskegee pilot

Thank you C550! I appreciate your valuable feedback.

Tmw09
Old 07-28-2007, 09:53 AM
meaden

ok, well, as long as I'm being watched anyway...

4's to each question. But as already said the technology is currently in use. An anything made by man can't be "fool" proof.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:53 PM
theradioflyer

I would have to say all 5's for me.

God bless
Old 07-29-2007, 01:41 AM
Tired Old Man

I have no objections to UAV's in civilian airspace. For all intents and purposes that's what airliners are now. The pilot is there only to program changes in the A/P and to make sure it's working right. The auto land system in the new A-380 is so accurate that they had to write the program algorithym with a fudge factor in it so the planes would not land in exactly the same spot on the runway everytime.

My only objections are to the Big Brother part where the UAV is used to keep an eye on what I'm doing. Police departments abuse the dickens out of the equipment they have now in helicopters and I have no illusions that the same agencies and more won't do the same and worse when they have equipment you can no longer see and hear with even better E/O and I/R optics, GPS and other grid reference systems, and laser targeting locks.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:49 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tmw09

Guys. You all read way too much into the threads. I am just a poor guy working my way thru school at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. Stop being so parinoid and answer the survey if you wish. If not, don't answer it. It is for my graduate class. I am interviewing many groups of people at shopping malls, at work, at the flying field, on rcuniverse, my friends and family. Generally, you send out a survey, some people answer and some people don't. you aim for 1000 and expect 100 responses. It happens all the time in every industry.

What type of computer do you have?

Where do you like to shop for your food products?

What do you think of traveling to the moon one day?

There is about as much thought that I put into those 3 questions right there as passing gas.

It is not that difficult. Just read it for what it is worth.

school project at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, Florida.

Look up the school....it has great classes for pilots, aircraft mechanics, etc. etc.

Objective of this survey:
Hello Fellow Modellers! I have been flying for years in this hobby and I love it. I am doing some personal research to determine the flying public’s perception of unmanned aerial vehicles flying along side of commercial airliners and in the National Airspace System.

Background to the question:
This unmanned “pilot less” airplane or UAV is probably operated by the US military, or some research agency such as NASA. It is flown remotely.

Directions:
Please take 1 minute of your time to fill out the attached survey. There will be a scale of 1 to 5, ranging from very uncomfortable to very comfortable. Only your responses will be included in the survey results. PLEASE RESPOND NO LATER THAN AUGUST 10, 2007.

You can email me at [email protected] with your responses or include them here.

Scale:
3 = Not Sure/Undecided

Survey:

Okay, I'll bite to the first section

1. Compaq
2. "Home Depot" This is a stupid question. Where do you think i would shop for food?
3. Been trying to send my wife for years.

Second section

1. (1) Would not do it
2. (5) Fine with no passengers
3. (5) Been their, done that
4. (5)Fine with it.
5. (5)Fine with it.