Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Full Scale J-3 Cub Crash At Hodge's Hobbies

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Full Scale J-3 Cub Crash At Hodge's Hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:32 AM
sowega flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Scale J-3 Cub Crash At Hodge's Hobbies

Anybody who has ever been to Hodge's knows that pretty little cub that sits under the shelter...Here's the link to the local newspaper story...

http://www.albanyherald.com/stories/20070803n2.htm
Old 08-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Full Scale J-3 Cub Crash At Hodge's Hobbies

Well from what I read, looks like the real cubs act just like the R/C ones which is why they make a lousy trainer
Old 08-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Dr1Driver

Cyclic,

I can't agree with that. A properly set-up Cub is a good trainer. I've often said, "If you can't fly a Cub, you shouldn't be flying." What, in your opinion, makes a Cub such a terrible trainer, and I also assume a terrible flyer in general?

Dr.1
Old 08-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Dr1Driver

I know Mac Hodges well, but I don't know if "Mac" is a nickname or his real name. If anyone knows, please tell me if he was the one piloting the plane.

Dr.1
Old 08-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

I know Mac Hodges well, but I don't know if "Mac" is a nickname or his real name. If anyone knows, please tell me if he was the one piloting the plane.

Dr.1
It was his brother piloting the plane.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:12 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are only 2 things that makes a cub a bad choice for an RC trainer:

1 - It's a taildragger - not the easiest way to go. It's like learning to drive a car on a stick instead of automatic transmission. Now true, it can be argued that it's a good skill to learn so why not learn it right away, but why add more complication than necessary when the beginner has so much to learn already?

2 - Most Cubs have a bolt-on wing, and (due to the large plastic windows in the cabin area) they have very little structural support in the wing area. So a minor mishap can easily result in ripping the entire cabin off and breaking all of the plastic windows - In other words, a lot more damage than if the plane had a rubber banded wing and a solid-wood cabin area
Old 08-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Dr1Driver

I agree - in part.

1 - It's a taildragger but why add more complication than necessary when the beginner has so much to learn already?
The novice has to steer the plane on the ground anyway, usually with a nose wheel hooked to the rudder servo, so he's already using that stick. Granted, steering with a tailwheel and rudder is a little harder than with a nosewheel and rudder, but not much more so, IMO.

2 - Most Cubs have a bolt-on wing, and (due to the large plastic windows in the cabin area) they have very little structural support in the wing area.
Good point. I'd make the wing rubber banded instead, maybe with a bolt-on option for later. Wouldn't be hard to do. Yea, I know - more work. But many novices want to start with a "real" (scale)- looking plane, so there's the answer.

Dr.1
Old 08-03-2007, 11:28 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good idea, but I would beef up the cabin area too. Even with rubber bands, the cabin is a weak spot
Old 08-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Montague

That sucks about the crash. I've been to Mac's place a couple of times, and they put one some great events, it's a great field. And Mac really knows how to wring out that cub, he did a hell of a barnstorming job with it.

As for newbies with cubs, a cub that is close to scale will also have a really small vertical stab/rudder and barn-door ailerons. They can have really bad adverse yaw that can cause some people trouble. Even though I tell students to use the rudder from the beginning, some folks struggle with it, and some get lazy and don't do it much. A cub will prevent that, but it will also make less-coodinated students take a lot longer to learn to fly at all.

They also don't do well in a cross wind on takeoff or landing. On takeoff, if you do a scale-style takeoff, and lift the tail then roll, the plane will pull to one side at first, then when the tailwheel lifts, you can get a sudden and hard yaw, usually to the left. While trikes require some rudder on the takeoff roll, it's usually a smootly changing amount of correction needed, you don't get sudden "right-left-right" swings that you can get with a cub, especially in a crosswind.

Personally, I love that kind of thing. I LIKE flying planes with funky handling charastics, it's a challenge. But it's not what I want a student to deal with.

However, a cub is a great full-scale trainer. Slow, and the yawing problems are much more obvious and easier to deal with when you're sitting in the plane.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a time, not really all that long ago, when all airplanes only had tailwheels. If you wanted to fly you learned how to handle them. If you did not...well you just didn't learn how to fly. Learning an RC plane is a whole bunch easier in the hand, eye, foot coordination department. All you have is hand and eye, so you drop 60% of the work load when you eliminated the foot part. You still don't see all that many aerobats or warbirds with tricycle gear...I can only think of a couple warbirds.

Sorry to hear about the crash. Worse is that back in the late 80's when I was instructing I taught a William Hodges how to fly. I'm hoping they are not one and the same.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:27 AM
FliteMetal

It has been reported that Mac's brother Billy will under go the knife today to insert rods which are needed to permit him to sit up rather than continue to lay on his back. With his lungs punctured there is more than a lot of concern for pneumonia setting in. Prayers are in order for Billy and the young man flying with him when they stalled and crashed.

Not to be curt, but J3's are excellent RC trainers. Once the tailwheel and P factor control is experienced there is little that remains with respect to learning how to get anything on and off the deck. IMHO of course... : ) Please remember these gentlemen as they recover the consequence of high heat, low power, and low air speed.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:21 PM
TankHunter

On account of cubs being bad full scale trainers... in the words of patton NUTS! they have been used since the 40s as primary trainers, and are still being used and produced today... show me any other plane that has been in some form and fashon produced to be used in this form for anywhere near this length of time... as for them being hard to control... again NUTS!!! all aircraft have their vices... cubs are prone to ground loops, c-150s are prone to nose overs on a less then perfect landing, tomahawks are prone to loss of control in a spin...ect.. all aircraft are not perfect but with proper training as outlined by the CAA and later the FAA they can be flown safely.... as for that training check title 14 part 141..... Cyclic Hardover untill you learn something please keep your useless coments to your self!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 03:22 PM
TankHunter

and of corse

OUR THOGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO THESE FAMILIES
Old 08-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Dr1Driver

Cyclic Hardover untill

Well, he DID say "From what I've read..." which infers no practical, hands-on experience. I've instructed several R/C pilots on Cubs with no appreciable complaints.

Does anyone know how the operation went and what the prognosis is?

Dr.1
Old 08-21-2007, 07:45 PM
FliteMetal

Anything new on Billy Hodges condition after surgery?
Old 08-21-2007, 09:09 PM
R/C Skydiver
My Feedback: (3)

Go to Hodgeshobbies.com and look under Shop News. There are a number of updates there.