Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Where to move to in Texas?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Where to move to in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 02:54 PM
KW_Counter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to move to in Texas?

The daughter and son-in-law are talking of moving to Dallas.
Where should we move to when I retire to be closer to them?
We're used to the Californai deserts and were planning on Tucson.
Any suggestions from you folks?
Thanks,
KW_Counter
Old 08-14-2007, 06:40 PM
rcmiket

Default RE: Where to move to in Texas?

El Paso is a great place, Cheap housing good weather 365 days a year flying. Closer than Tucson. Cheap fights on Southwest.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to mention that. I lived their 4 years. I enjoyed it. Surprisingly other places to visit than Juarez. I only went their 3-4 times the entire time
Old 08-14-2007, 08:45 PM
tychoc

Austin is the place. Consistently ranked among the best cities to live in. Only drawback is that everybody seems to have figured this out and 1000s move here every week making for bad traffic jams.

We got 4 clubs in the area and there's an active RC group in "Sun city", a retirement community just north of Austin in Georgetown.

Takes about 3 hours to drive to Dallas.

-tychoc
Old 08-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Why don't you talk them into someplace else. Dallas is nuts. All the suburbs around it. Not me, I visit relatives their once in a while. Does nothing for me. Also humidity is way up their. New Meixco and West Texas has very low humidity. Can be 100 degrees and not that bad.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:45 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

College Station was, at one time, rated one of the cheapest places in the country to retire. My son just moved back from there to get the grand kids closer to the the grandparents. Housing is definately a lot cheaper there. Its also a lot greener there. There's lots of smaller towns outside of Dallas that would be nice. I try to make the Weatherford swapmeet (west of FortWorth) every year. Lots of flying around there. As far as Austin goes, I was raised there. Moved from Corpus Christi in 57'. I knew Austin when it really was laid back. The people here now dont know laid back at all. It has all the normal big city problems. I moved out of Austin to Leander about 87' because there wasnt any affordable housing. Just my opinion.
Edwin
Old 08-15-2007, 12:47 PM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

I would look into the Frisco/Prosper area 30-45 minutes from Dallas and really close to one of the best flying fields around. [link=http://www.ndrcc.com]North Dallas Radio Control Club[/link] We have a huge paved runway and fly year round!

Housing is very affordable as well! As a matter of fact I have a 4 year old 3/2 house for sale.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:43 PM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't move to Houston!
Old 08-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: KW_Counter

The daughter and son-in-law are talking of moving to Dallas.
Where should we move to when I retire to be closer to them?
We're used to the Californai deserts and were planning on Tucson.
Any suggestions from you folks?
Thanks,
KW_Counter
IMO, as a native Texan (Texican) I believe the Houston NE area is as good as you can get. You will be within a couple hours of several fine large fresh-water lakes and numerous rivers for fishing and boating. Additionally you are within an hour or so of the beach and/or fine saltwater fishing even to deep-sea stuff.

You can also join one of several RC Clubs that own their own land. If you really wish to be close to your flying site, there are four (4) 10 acre lots still available with frontage on hard-surface road, east side, and 300' +/- frontage, west side, on the fine RC facility Jetero RC Club, Inc. which owns 50 acres. www.jetero.com

Jetero (www.jetero.com) has a 100 X 600 manicured grass runway (paid mowing) 4000+ sq. ft. of shelter over concrete, running water, electrical connections throughout, indoor rest facilities, kitchen, and is private property of the membership. year-around flying is the norm.
Unlike most other RC sites around here, Jetero is located on flat farmland outside any flood-plain, and is not hampered with any close trees or swamps.

Within the Atascocita, Dayton, Kingwood, Humble areas are the finest city and suburb areas anywhere. In addition within the next several years, the Dayton-Kingwood (12mi.+/-) highway is planned to become a 4-lane highway with 7500 homes being built on the south side. Jetero is one mile north of the highway -- TX 1960. Investments made here will only go UP in value.

BTW it's about 3 hours to the Dallas area. I have grandkids in San Antonio, 4 hours. 'BOUT RIGHT!
Old 08-16-2007, 01:46 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

I guess NE Houston is ok if you like black gumbo for soil, the aroma of a paper mill and or land fill every morning when you wake up, and everyone is related to one another north of Humble.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Jim Thomerson

Dallas has a lot of weather. I go there for contests, or pass through the airport from time to time and I say it is so! I live south of Austin because I was told that the weather here was better than north of Austin. Been here eight years and it is so. There is an RC club down south, but most of my flying buddies are up north. Austin is still a neat place but it is very congested and developing like mad in all directions. I go to Houston from time to time. It is like New Yawk City. Interesting to visit but I would not want to live there.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:47 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at Marbel Falls TX. Nice place, Nice people had a flying site when I was there and it's between San Antonio and Fortworth / Dallas on Hwy 281. AWAY from the big city bussel. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 08-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Cyclic Hardover

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

I guess NE Houston is ok if you like black gumbo for soil, the aroma of a paper mill and or land fill every morning when you wake up, and everyone is related to one another north of Humble.

And 3ft of water. I would think homeowners insurance for the area would be very steep???
Old 08-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Hossfly

I have lived in San Antonio, TX; Laredo, TX; Livingston, TX; Sacremento, CA; Wichita, KS; Little Rock, AR; Buffalo Grove, IL (NE Chicago); Savannah, GA, and currently have a residence in Crystal Falls, MI (UP) as well as here in New Caney, TX. I have visited areas from far east to Europe and North Africa to include each state of this United States.
My first choice would be the Livingston, TX area, where I still own two fair sized acrages, but I rather find the facilities of this Houston area to be more serving of my desires.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:14 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

corpus christi

ya got the desert for when ya feel the need, and ya got the gulf fer when yer feeling more normal.
no where near the humidity of houston or galveston.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:16 AM
PLANE JIM

Horrace, I was raised on the shores of Lake Houston and graduated from Huffman High School in the mid 70's, so I think this would qaulify knowing the area.

One of the largest landfills in the Houston area is located in Atascocita less than 4 miles from Huffman as the crow flies

I also haved lived in New Caney close to where you live now and fly several times a year at Jetero and yes this area is prone to knee deep water and blackgumbo marsh that has no bottom to it and acreage that holds 6 inches of water after a rain.

Secondly-you are promoting Jetero RC to sell the useless land you own surrounding the field. Which I was told in a local hobby shop that you were told to leave the club because they are sick of your s*it, and in fact the club had elected to buy the 10 acres is located on because of your constant threat of pulling their lease which I have seen you display the same text in this forum and you call yourself promoting the hobby-maybe thru your wallet.

I have no twin brothers, but I do have four brothers, as well as two sons that attend Texas A&M since you are taking interest in who is related in this forum.

No real mystery for the folks at Muncie to know who the real Horrace is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

Horrace, I was raised on the shores of Lake Houston and graduated from Huffman High School in the mid 70's, so I think this would qaulify knowing the area.
It should however you don't display any evidence of such qualification.
One of the largest landfills in the Houston area is located in Atascocita less than 4 miles from Huffman as the crow flies
That landfill is where Jetero once had an RC field. because that field was to be lost is the reason I went some 12 miles out in the country and bought 100 acres OUTSIDE the flood plain for Jetero to have a home.
I also haved lived in New Caney close to where you live now and fly several times a year at Jetero and yes this area is prone to knee deep water and blackgumbo marsh that has no bottom to it and acreage that holds 6 inches of water after a rain.
I live 7 miles east of New Caney proper. I am close to the East San Jacinto River. Yet after this wettest of wet years in SE TX, I am high and dry on sandy loam over a good clay base. You must have a missed a spot in your great wealth of knowledge. I am 14 miles from the Jetero area.

Secondly-you are promoting Jetero RC to sell the useless land you own surrounding the field. Which I was told in a local hobby shop that you were told to leave the club because they are sick of your s*it, and in fact the club had elected to buy the 10 acres is located on because of your constant threat of pulling their lease which I have seen you display the same text in this forum and you call yourself promoting the hobby-maybe thru your wallet.
Now that sir is about the most amount of untruth that you have manufactured in some time. Do you believe that everything you are told in a LCS? If you do I can come up with some real good deals for you. [:-]

It went like this: I bought 100 acres cash. I leased Jetero THIRTY acres of THEIR choice until they could get set up to buy those acres. That took 18 months. I then allowed 1/2 of the rental payments to be considered down-payment and sold Jetero the 30 acres for what I paid for those 30 acres, which were the prime highway frontage acres. The deal was that I would hold their note at 6% for 5 years then at PRIME MINUS ONE for each year thereafter with a 30 year amortization. For 11 years I maintained the adjoining 70 acres for their benefit.

As I am getting no younger, I approached the club board with a very good deal about their taking over the TWO 10 acre lots, one on each end of the their 30 acres. The board refused to even take the options to the membership. Then another individual offered to buy 20 acres at 3 times what I paid for it if they could have the 10 acres with highway frontage on Jetero's south side.

I approached the club again and I went to the membership myself as the board said the club could not afford it, even with the price being only twice my cost, after 11 years.
Their choice, so the property was designated for the other buyer which would have shut Jetero down.
There was much misinformation passed by the Club Pres. now in his 3rd term. I offered a good discount on the price plus a 5% off the note they still owed me if they could come up with another "banker". They did so and the 20 acres was sold to Jetero along with the note for the original 30 acres passed to the other financier.

Yes I did threaten to file a foreclosure on Jetero if they did not clean up their Safety procedures. They kept deleting long time safety procedures and I was not going to be the note-holder for a club that was becoming so lax. That did PO the Pres. because he had run up against someone that is NO ONE's groupie.

Having purchased 100 acres, holding the land, keeping that money away from better investments and doing all I could possibly do for Jetero, I have lost at least $350,000.oo out of pocket. I am selling 10 acres across from Jetero's 50 acres for a fair profit however I am holding the other 40 acres since I have investigated and learned about some very good plans to be announced next year. Beltway 12 will be either on the NE corner of the property or just a mile farther east. One very significant realtor in the Huffman area has advised me that within the next 3 years the property will be worth 4-6 times today's market. Guess I can wait a few more years.

That realtor's track record far exceeds any LHS proprietor that I know.

Yes PJ, I really don't support model aviation. [:'(] If all my other investments were made with the same thinking as my Jetero "investment" then I would be broker than the Ten Commandments. []

No real mystery for the folks at Muncie to know who the real Horrace is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is true and that is why they are so afraid to have me on that EC. Their good-ol-boy syndrome would cease to be of any benefit to them. [>:]

I would like to know what makes you so jealous . You say you fly at jetero every so often. Why don't you make yourself known to me if you have so much heartburn. You promised to do that at an event I was CDing but I suppose that was as reliable as your postings here. SAD for you.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:00 PM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hijack the thread, but; I don't know about all of the issues involving Jetero, but I do know Horrace. He is an honest man and he has done a lot for Houston area modeling. The facility at Jetero is great(thanks mostly to Horrace), If it were not so hard to get to from where I am I would be a member. Before accusing someone of this sin or that consider his character and realize that you may not know the entire story.

Regards,

Dave
Old 08-17-2007, 01:41 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

KW Counter

Tsk, tsk, see what happens when you bring up such "inflammatory topics" on the net?

Maybe some good will come of it? Good luck on your search.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:50 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

My vote would be for the Waco area. Just a few hours drive to most of the places mentioned in this thread.

And..........Waco has the best RC flying site in the state with real nice folks.
Pics of site here: http://www.hotmacrc.org/hotmac_field_pictures.htm

I can't talk my wife into leaving the Houston area or I would move there myself.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Jim Thomerson

My oldest son has lived in Houston for a number of years. He has always lived on the second floor, and occasionally emails me pictures of floodwaters higher than the knob on the door of the first floor apartment. [X(] One thing about Houston, I can go to The Hat Store and get a hat big enough for my head. Haven't been able to find one in Austin. []
Old 08-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Edwin

Jim, Sheplers cant help you?
Edwin
Old 08-17-2007, 02:31 PM
PLANE JIM

Horrace the next time I see you, I will make sure you know who I am
Old 08-17-2007, 03:16 PM
KW_Counter

What fun.

I've looked up some of these places on weather.com.
They show a mosquito index on their page.
Like I said, I'm a desert rat. Any place around there where we won't be eaten alive?
I do appreciate all of the input.
Thanks,
KW_Counter
Old 08-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Edwin

Mosquitoes dont bother me. I just sit my wife outside with me and they all go to her. Must be her Michigan blood. The only time there arent mosquitoes in Texas is during the dry season. Which we didnt really see this year. It wont always be this rainy.
Edwin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.