Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Heathkit R/C cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:13 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heathkit R/C cars?

Hey...anyone else remember them?

I was wondering if some of you guys with magazine collections might perhaps post a pic of one of their ads?

There is a post in the car forum "General Discussion"...we are looking for "vintage" r/c car info.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2264890/tm.htm

Thanks
Old 10-12-2007, 08:29 AM
Dr1Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heathkit R/C cars?

I remember mine, dating from the late 60s. It had a GP style body. 1/8" scale. Stamped sheet metal chassis. Simple single spring (no shocks) front suspension and solid rear suspension. Plastic bushings on all axles. Solid rear axle. Single pinion/spur gearing with a simple centrifugal clutch. Friction brake pad riding against the outside of the clutch housing, operated in time with the throttle. It used an airplane motor in the .19-.21 range. Tires were solid hard rubber. VERY basic.

Dr.1
Old 10-12-2007, 10:53 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Thanks Dr.1
It's comming back to me now...didn't recall the details of it as well as you have.
I had one for a brief period in the mid 70's...(I swapped something for it, then swapped it for something else, etc. etc.)
Old 10-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's still parts for one upstairs in the garage. I know the body is there. A friend of mine and I used to drive all over racing these things. I had a Super Tigre G 21 35 on mine. We made slicks from 3 soft practice hockey pucks glued together and turned down on the drill press with sandpaper. The good old days when you had to make your own stuff.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:35 PM
So Cal

ORIGINAL: Flypaper 2

There's still parts for one upstairs in the garage. I know the body is there. A friend of mine and I used to drive all over racing these things. I had a Super Tigre G 21 35 on mine. We made slicks from 3 soft practice hockey pucks glued together and turned down on the drill press with sandpaper. The good old days when you had to make your own stuff.
Pics? I love old rc pics.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:44 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an even more rare Delta Systems GT Mk 7, and raced a guy with a "new" heathkit car on a sloped parking lot. Since it was sidwinder driven, he broke one tooth off the big drive gear. Every time he'd go up hill that space combined with the load of going up hill would pop off another tooth . After about 10 minutes he couldn't go anywhere.