Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Toledo 2003 Coverage and Pictures

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Toledo 2003 Coverage and Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 08:21 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toledo 2003 Coverage and Pictures

I wanted to get some pictures of Toledo 2003 up real quick so below is a link to the gallery.

On a sidenote the first couple shots are of the very first RC Universe Corporate Plane! I'll have some more pictures soon of the inside as Larry Scheunermann did an awesome job putting this plane together that should be seen to be appreciated. The plane is a 35% Wild Hare Giles 202 equipped with the following:
  • JR Radio Equipment - JR 8411 Digital servos, Matchboxes on wings, 10 Channel S-PCM Rx, Hangar 9 Aluminum Arms
  • BME 102 Gas Motor
  • Duralite Plus Li-Ion batteries & regulators (2 for rx & 1 for ignition
  • Slimline Showtime Smoke System
  • Slimline's new fuel dot system (very nice!)
  • Tru-Turn Spinner
  • 26x10 CF prop from TNT Landing Gear
  • Ohio Tailwheel
  • Both Dubro & Rocket City Hardware
  • I4C Voltmeters on both Duralite RX packs and Duralite Ignition
  • Cermark Heavy Duty Switches
  • Pilot, Dashboard and Vinyl Decals plus trim scheme design by Denny at Cajun-RC/Model Graphics
  • Aerografixs/Forgues Fiber Optic extensions for throttle & ignition servos
  • Carbon Fiber Rods from Art's Hobby

http://www.rcuniverse.com/toledo2003/

I will be adding some commentary regarding what was new later in this thread or you guys can comment and explain what some of the pictures are in the event they aren't self explanatory. I'm still catching up right now from after the show
Old 04-07-2003, 09:21 PM
Chuckr53-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pics Marc. I really liked the huge GeeBee Z, but there were nothing but great models on display!
Old 04-07-2003, 09:36 PM
theox

Great shots.
Beautiful blue Bugatti.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:09 PM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

Great pics! If you want to see more, I've got some up at the following link:

http://www.renderwurx.com/rc/h37/html/recon03.htm

Neo
Old 04-07-2003, 11:27 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

yawnnn............. where are the cars
Old 04-07-2003, 11:34 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next month...RCX show in california...
Old 04-07-2003, 11:35 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

you better...
Old 04-07-2003, 11:54 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's an awesome video of the Toledo show I found on a newsgroup. Jon

"Here are some impressions of the Toledo show. I made a video file out of my photos.

http://www.kirchstein.net/toledo2003.htm

This is a WMV file and will need some time to download.

John Kirchstein <[email protected]>"
Old 04-08-2003, 12:24 AM
skyz

Default Toledo Pictures

What, no picture of the sailor girl?
Don't ask me who's booth, all I remember is the white hot pants
and the sailor's hat...
Old 04-08-2003, 12:25 AM
Chuckr53-RCU

She had a hat on?
Old 04-08-2003, 01:16 AM
alcohol burner
My Feedback: (48)

ON A SCALE OF 1-10 I GIVE THE SHOW A 7....WAS PRETTY DISAPPOINTED ON THIS YEARS' SHOW....WE HAVE BEEN TOLD TO GO ON "FRIDAY",,,,"THATS WHERE THE DEALS ARE!!!!"""""
WASNT MUCH OF ANY DEALS AT ALL...THERE WERE A FEW UPSTAIRS IN THE SWAP, BUT THAT TOO WAS DISAPPOINTING....SEEMS LIKE IT GETS SMALLER AND SMALLER EACH YEAR...A LOT OF STUFF UP THERE WAS USED AND WAS BEING ASKED ALMOST REATAIL FOR IT....THEN THERE WERE A FEW VENDERS UP THERE CHARGING SALES TAX.....I AM INTO RETAIL AND THERE IS WAYS AROUND ALL OF THAT WITH VERY LITTLE EFFORT.......ALSO THERE WAS A GRAPHICS DEALER THERE THAT ALSO DONE TOWELS AND SHIRTS...."IT WAS NOT KIRBY'S!!!!!!" KIRBYS IS FANTASTIC......I WAS GETTING 20 TOWELS DONE FOR OUR RC CLUB AS A SURPRISE TO THEM...THEY TOLD ME IT WOULD TAKE ABOUT 1 1/2 HRS...WHICH WAS TOTALLY FINE.......WE CAME BACK SEVERAL TIMES AT ABOUT THAT TIME AND THEY KEPT SAYING "WE'RE ALMOST DONE"......SO WE KEPT LOOKING AROUND FOR AWHILE....WELL, 2 1/2 HRS LATER THEY WERE ANNOUNCING THE SHOW WAS CLOSING.....WE WENT BACK OVER THERE AND THEY HAD 6 DONE!!!!!!.......THEY SAID THEY WOULD SHIP THE REST. WHICH IS OK I GUESS.....THEY PACKAGED UP THE 6 OTHER TOWELS AND PUT IN A BAG......WHEN WE GOT HOME (5HR DRIVE) I TOOK THEM OUT TO LOOK AT THEM....2 WERE BURNT FROM LEAVING IN THE IRON TOO LONG........THIS WAS A VERY BIG DISAPPOINTMENT........LAST BUT NOT LEAST ANOTHER BIG COMPLAINT WAS WITH DESERT AIRCRAFT......WHILE WAITING ON THE TOWELS I WENT OVER THERE TO DO MY DEALING WITH THEM.....I HAD SENT THEM SEVERAL EMAILS CONCERNING A SHOW SPECIAL ON THEIR DA 100 WITH MUFFLERS......THEY SAID THEY WOULD KNOCK 100.00 OFF OF TOTAL PRICE AT THE SHOW BECAUSE THEY WERE GOING TO TAKE SEVERAL WITH THEM....I THOUGHT THIS WAS COOL AND IT WOULD SAVE ME 100.00......I WANTED THIS ENGINE A MONTH AGO BUT I DECIDED TO WAIT FOR THE SHOW AND TO SAVE SHIPPING COSTS....PLANE HAS BEEN DONE AND WAITING FOR AN ENGINE....ANYWAYS I PRINTED OFF THE COPY OF THEIR EMAIL JUST IN CASE AND TOOK IT TO THE SHOW WITH ME.......I PRESENTED MY SELF TO THEM AND THEY WERE SOMEWHAT POLITE....I SAID I WANTED TO SEE A DA100 OUT OF THE BOX...THEY SAID " WE HAVE ONE ON DISPLAY , YOU CAN LOOK AT THAT ONE"...I SAID I AM PURCHASING AN ENGINE OFF OF YOU AND I WANT TO SEE THE ONE IN THE BOX THAT I AM ACTUALLY GETTING.....HE STATED " THERE ISNT ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT , THERE IS NO REASON TO TAKE OUT OF THE BOX" HOW RUDE!!!!!!!IM THINKING TO MY SELF THAT IM GETTING READY TO SPEND 1200.00 ON SOMETHING AND THEY WONT LET ME SEE IT.....
SO I GOT RIGHT BACK ON HIM AND TOLD HIM HOW I FELT...BUT I SAID IT IN A POLITE WAY WITH A SMILE OF COURSE.....THEN I PRESENTED HIM WITH THE EMAIL I PRINTED OFF.......HE SAID THAT HE DOESNT KNOW WHO SENT THAT BUT HE WASNT GOING TO LIVE UP TO THAT AGREEMENT.....HE SAID I COULD HAVE FABRICATED THAT EMAIL ON THAT PIECE OF PAPER IF I WANTED TO.....WHAT A PIECE OF S**T.......I LOOKED AT MY BUDDY AND ASKED HIM WHAT HE THOUGHT.....HE SAID THAT I BETTER GO AHEAD AND BUY IT CAUSE THEY WERENT NO CHEAPER ANYWHERE ELSE AND I WOULD HAVE TO WAIT TO GET ONE.....SO I PAYED THE FULL AMOUNT AND WALKED AWAY.....WHILE I WAS WALKING AWAY ONE OF THE REPS FROM DA FOLLOWED ME AND STOPPED ME ABOUT 4 BOOTHS AWAY....HE APOLOGIZED TO ME AND GAVE ME A JIG TO DRILL PROPS.....HE TOLD ME THAT I WAS NOT THE FIRST TO PRESENT HIM WITH AN EMAIL SAYING THAT THERE WAS A SHOW SPECIAL......HE TOLD ME THAT THE GUY WHO SOLD TO ME WAS NOT GOING TO SELL TO ANYBODY FOR 100.00 LESS THAN RETAIL BECAUSE HE FELT THAT IF THEY ARE SO BACKED UP ON ORDERS THAT HE MIGHT AS WELL GET RETAIL OUT OF EVERYONE AND MAKE THE EXTRA 100.00........EVEN IF THEY DIDNT TELL ME THERE WAS GOING TO BE A SHOW SPECIAL I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT ANYWAYS.........YOU GUYS KNOW WHERE IM COMING FROM....I WAS JUST WRONG FOR THEM TO DO THAT TO ME.....IMMORAL I GUESS YOU COULD SAY......THAT REALLY MADE ME IN A BAD MOOD....NOT REALLY UPSET....JUST DISAPPOINTED THAT THEY WOULD DO THAT.........LIKE I SAID I WOULD HAVE TO PAY FULL RETAIL REGARDLES.......THIS FEW THINGS IS WHAT MADE THE OVERALL RATING LOW......DID ANY OF THIS SOUND FAMILIAR TO ANY OF YOU OTHER GUYS.......
Old 04-08-2003, 05:28 AM
hornet driver
My Feedback: (7)

AND NOW YOU KNOW WHY MOST OF US FLY

***************3W**************
Old 04-08-2003, 06:17 AM
flyin_hot

Default rrrrright!

Originally posted by hornet driver
AND NOW YOU KNOW WHY MOST OF US FLY

***************3W**************
I don't know who you are, or where you're from, but you obviously don't get out much. Guess what? Most of us DO NOT fly 3w. There's a reason for that. The lack of QC (mid blurb, carb blocks leaking, case leaks, crank runout that is beyond reason, cranks breaking, IGN failures, IGN failures, IGN failures, Cap failuires, flameouts during hovers...hell, the list is endless). You know why they don't want to take those engines out of the box? Because they don't want to take a chance on anything happening to them. If you buy the engine, fine! Then you can look at it. I'll put a DA engine up against ANY 3w POS anyday...because I have had to spend my flying time fixing too many of them, and that is reality. One only needs to look at the threads here on RCU to see that fact. 3w USED to be a decent engine, and I don't know why that has changed, but it looks like they are more worried about $$$ than quality. It's not just the bad QC, but one of the distributors we are stuck with here in the US. I would never have one of those engines in my plane and be associated with an individual who sells motors with broken fins, and paints over them, laughs at planes going in, puts his 'so called' power team up to doing his bidding on the internet to get him out of such fiascos, and the mother of them all sells a motor for 1200 bucks to a guy that has chrome flaking off the cylinders and then says he's not gonna stand behind it. If one can deal with all of the above FINE! I refuse too. Am I ill right now? YOU BET! I see stuff just like this from time to time and it's pure BS! I know too dam- many people running DA's and none of them have ever had a single issue with a DA...none = zero! I fly in the SE and fly in competition so I know what is out there and the majority of the engines flown are DA's! That is a fact...before you make stupid blanket statements like the last one, go to the flying field and take a look around! It's obvious you need to get out more!
Old 04-08-2003, 06:36 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Without resorting to manufacturer bashing.. I'm very surprised you received this kind of treatment from DA. I've known Dave and Brian for a LONG time now and it just doesn't fit with the way they treat their customers. Everyone I've ever spoken to says they treat you like you're their best customer ever, even if you've never bought anything from them.. I know that's how they've always treated me.

-Doug Cronkhite
Old 04-08-2003, 06:47 AM
flyin_hot

Originally posted by dcronkhite
Without resorting to manufacturer bashing.. I'm very surprised you received this kind of treatment from DA. I've known Dave and Brian for a LONG time now and it just doesn't fit with the way they treat their customers. Everyone I've ever spoken to says they treat you like you're their best customer ever, even if you've never bought anything from them.. I know that's how they've always treated me.

-Doug Cronkhite
Hi Doug,
That's exactly right. That's the way they have always treated me too. I know alot (and when I say alot I mean alot) of guys that fly these engines and have talked with DA many times. They have told me many times (over and over) that DA treats them like they're #1. I have gotten the same treatment. That's what made me so mad about about some idiot saying 'most of us fly 3w'...fact is, we DON'T and the service we have recieved is a major reason why...along with the failures we don't have to put up with.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:21 AM
jgiles-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Back to the show.....

It was the first time I went, and I have to agree with the 7 rating, although it may be closer to a 6. The swap shop was basically a waste of time with the exception of just a few deals. I couldn't believe the prices some of the guys were asking, when I could walk downstairs and buy it new for the same price! $20 for a bag of 4 Dubro tires, 2-3"size? It was great for getting to see some of the vintage engines, planes and tether cars though. Also, you couldn't beat the deal on the SPAD planes for $10! I don't know how that guy broke even at that price.

The show was PACKED from 10-2 on Friday. After that it really slowed down which was nice. There were some good deals on batteries and electronic hardware but other than that, the prices were the same as mailorder. Where were the deals? Sure, you didn't have to pay shipping, but in most cases taxes did apply. The models on display were awesome particularly the F-100D and the huge German tank.

I was glad I made the 3.5 hr drive, but I think the show could have been better by adding more functional displays like with the Hirobo Lama. Great Planes did a great job with the stations for the Flight Simulator.

Was this a typical show?
Old 04-08-2003, 11:27 AM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

I have to agree on the 6 rating. If it had'nt have been for extreme flights new planes the show would have been a waste for me. Mostly the same stuff as last year. Swap shop was high priced as stated and as many people carried there planes home from the auction as sold them.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:04 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys for sharing pictures and thoughts! I have always read about the Toledo show but never lived close enough to go. Even now i'm 10hrs away and did consider making the trip. Sounds like I can gain just as much attending some good flying meets in the summer out this way and continueing to subscribe to magazines, surf the net, and of course read RCU (!) to stay on top of the latest and greatest. Thanks again!!
Old 04-08-2003, 12:08 PM
Doug Cronkhite

The more pictures I see of Joe Grice's F-100 "Pretty Penney" the more I am blown away by the craftsmanship and detail involved. Talk about a flying work of art!

-Doug
Old 04-08-2003, 12:45 PM
Chuckr53-RCU

I got deals on the non-electronics, like Slimline, Tru-Turn, and Dave Brown. I got 25-33% off online prices from them. The SR batteries & Hitec servo I bought were the same as online prices. I didn't buy any Swap Shop items...definitely nothing I saw there that I wanted.

I thought both F-100's were amazing. Anyone know what won Best in Show, Scale, and Sport?
Old 04-08-2003, 12:52 PM
Chuckr53-RCU

Alcohol Burner...seems a shame that you got jerked around like you did. I don't think you should have. Perhaps you should contact the two men that DCronkhite mentions at DA...Dave and Brian, and relate your experience to them. Maybe they can smooth things out. Based on the experience as you tell it, I myself wouldn't trust DA to keep it's word.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:11 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT

I have nothing but respect and admiration for Dave Johnson and his associates, as well as his product. They have always treated me fairly and provide some of the best product support in the industry.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:16 PM
Doug Cronkhite

I agree and that's what I find so puzzling.

NEVER ONCE in the 8 years I've known them have I seen Dave or Brian ever act like this to anyone, or to me.. Time and time again I'm asked why I choose DA over 3W, and it always comes down to the way DA has treated me over the years. BOTH DA and 3W make quality engines, and Bobby treats his customers well too I believe.. but my personal experiences and history with Dave Johnson and Co. have kept my business with them.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:34 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Hey Chris, (Extreme Flight)

I am a friend of Jon and Kevin. I let Kevin know I was going to be in ATL on Sunday the 27th. I told him I'd love to be able to see these new planes you guys are producing.

Will you be available that day at CCRC?
Old 04-08-2003, 01:45 PM
hornet driver
My Feedback: (7)

flyin_hot

>>>>>3w USED to be a decent engine, and I don't know why that has changed>>>>>>

.....well you just said it ..."you dont know much"......................someday i will give you a lesson in setting up engines........you have to learn what your doing..........da 3w or what ever ..........if you dont know what your doing........you will have problems..........i can keep any of them running for ever.....AND THE REASON YOU CANT IS KNOWLEDGE...........YOU DONT HAVE IT!!!!!!!ITS THAT SIMPLE.......you shouldnt of skipped shop class in school so much

ANY QUESTIONS!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.