Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Who misses the old RCU???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 06:24 PM
DeadSticker
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who misses the old RCU???

I know I do...I know that this is the largest online RC community now and there is a wealth of knowledge, but I miss the old rcu before the merger...now when you screw up your wording in a post you get chastised for it for what seems like forever lol, and the help is really cocky and treat you like your stupid...I've been flying and driving for the better part of 20yrs and would gladly share anything I have knowledge or equipment wise but it seems that its turnning into more of a flame war...sorry I am just reminiscing of the good ole days...
Old 12-23-2007, 06:28 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Who misses the old RCU???

I don't even rememeber the old rcu. What was the merger?
Old 12-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

I miss the old everything. Now I'm old so I guess I'll just have to live with it. [sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 12-23-2007, 06:38 PM
DeadSticker

About 4ish yrs ago RC Universe merged with RC Airport...good move on Marc's part, but it seems like the "community" has gotten so large its hard to get an answer to any questions without a flame war starting...kinda sux
Old 12-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: DeadSticker

About 4ish yrs ago RC Universe merged with RC Airport...good move on Marc's part, but it seems like the "community" has gotten so large its hard to get an answer to any questions without a flame war starting...kinda sux

Flame wars are like dancing the Tango - it takes two. Don't ask me how I know. [:'(]
Old 12-23-2007, 08:31 PM
Cryhavoc
My Feedback: (46)

I've seen what DeadSticker is referring to becoming more and more common and what I've witnessed is mostly one sided. Shame too. Some of these folks are just trying to find out more info and get help on their projects. It starts out with a question, someone mentions the material they're using, someone else suggests an alternative, then the debate begins, somebody gets passionate, personal attacks follow and the person with the original question is still scratching their head for an answer. I can't propose a solution but it would seem that one is in order.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:24 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, to be honest, the merger had nothing to do with it. When the two sites merged, MOST of RC Airport's members were already RCU members.

It's really more due to he fact that in the time since the merger RCU has grown to about 3 times the size it was back then.

We moderators do our best to keep the flame wars to a minimum, but we can't be everywhere.

If a member is bothering you, all you need to do is to click the "Report" button in the lower right hand corner of the offending post and a moderator will be there to help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79826.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	832921  
Old 12-24-2007, 09:06 AM
DeadSticker

The merger probably didnt have anything to do with it, but thats when it seems like it started going down hill...I was a moderator for cars and helis for a while, but got tired of spending all my time keeping the "kids" from fighting...I couldnt even imagine what it would be like now...
Old 12-24-2007, 10:28 AM
chashint

Most of the flame I have observed has been isolated to a few select individuals.
Those few are simply right and their opinion is far more valuable than anyone else's. They prove this with a relentless barrage that will grow louder and more vicious with each post as they push their opinion and defend a defenseless position. Its like the playground where whoever shouts the loudest is right.
I used to pity these poor fools but know I think I am beginning to admire them because they really are smarter than the rest of the great-unwashed masses. I have come to this conclusion because otherwise how could they possibly know exactly what everyone's life situation is and how much free time and other resources the great-unwashed masses have to devote to RC related activities. They also know that if someone "just wants to" then they can make it happen. Another thing they know to be factual is that by building a model airplane from a kit you will become a better person (not as good or as smart as them, but better than you are now).
In addition to the random 'thing' that will set them off there are several hot buttons for these few that create great offense and indignity and will surely draw the wrath of their unique RC justice.
1) Model airplanes are not toys and anyone referring to them as such is lower than low.
2) ARFs are not built they are assembled and anyone that feels otherwise or uses the word build in relation to an ARF is lower than low.
3) Everyone has the time to build a kit instead of an ARF (they know this because they just know it) if someone says they do not have the time then they are a liar and of course liars are lower than low.
4) Some individuals have long running personal grudges against each other and anytime those individuals post to the same thread the moderators might as well just lock it up because nothing good will ever come through again.
There are other hot buttons but I think you get the picture. it is the proverbial 'one bad apple' can spoil the whole batch or in the flame wars 'two bad apples'.

[[spelling edit]]
Old 12-24-2007, 11:45 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I miss the way a few things used to work better as far as email notices go.

I have gotten to the point where I look for certain posters that are consistant badgers and ignore the whole thread just to save my mind the worms. I can list 4 guys who do this and with sanctions on them, flames in the areas of RCU I travel in would reduce by 80% with new guys feeling like they could ask a sincere question.

The other thing I do is respond to questions in high flame risk threads off line via pm.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: chashint
<<snip>>
[[spelling edit]]
You edited for spelling? Blasphemy! Lower than Low!

Dave Olson
Old 12-24-2007, 02:29 PM
_nun45

when the site first got off the ground i moderated a lot of the swap forums, so flames were not that bad. what i do miss is the comeradery that most of us early hosts used to enjoy. most of us were here because we thought marc was getting flamed everywhere and were just plain tired of it. that little bit of online friendship was worth more than anything to me, now most of us just browse and keep moving(sigh).---henry
Old 12-24-2007, 02:35 PM
vicman

that little bit of online friendship was worth more than anything to me
I hear ya with that statement! The guys I have met in 1/2a and the Revvers are people I consider good freinds.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Gary L.

ORIGINAL: Scar

ORIGINAL: chashint
<<snip>>
[[spelling edit]]
You edited for spelling? Blasphemy! Lower than Low!

Dave Olson
It would be nice to have spell check on here, for me anyway...
Old 12-24-2007, 10:18 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... but I miss the old rcu before the merger...

Me too.

The "flame threads" are no problem; in fact, sometimes I jump right in.

What _I_ miss is the ad-free browsing, without any of those SUPER-annoying flashing ads (Gawd, I HATE those things!) and ads crammed into every available free space on the screen.

Several of the firearms forums I frequent are like RCU used to be; just a regular forum with a swap shop. I am relaxed there; I come here, and immediately get a headache from all the color, busy arrangement, and flashing crap designed to attract one's attention. All it does to me is p@$$ me off. News flash for you folks with the flashing ads... I wouldn't buy your product, regardless of whether I needed it or not, BECAUSE of those flashing ads.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Well being on both sides of the flame, it gets old after a while. When I started up helis a few months ago, I've been hanging out over thier most of the time. Very knowledgable bunch and we all share info on a daily basis and I just don't see all the crap in those forums which are easy to be sucked into.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:50 PM
_nun45

most of the guys i used to banter with have gone on to different endeavors because of things they didn't like either here or other places that no longer exist. when i came back online i found it to be a cold dark place from what i remembered. shame things have to change so drastically for the sake of advancement!---henry
Old 12-25-2007, 09:14 PM
vicman

Well being on both sides of the flame, it gets old after a while.
Aw c'mon CH. I think it's you thats getting old!
I keep waiting for the next CH double rat to be played out but you are slowing down since the ol grand master B days.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

The flashing ads don't bother me at all ... in fact I look forward to seeing what's new on the market. Only thing I don't like is an ad that has anything to do with tiny electric airplanes ... [:@]
Old 12-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Cyclic Hardover

ORIGINAL: vicman

Well being on both sides of the flame, it gets old after a while.
Aw c'mon CH. I think it's you thats getting old!
I keep waiting for the next CH double rat to be played out but you are slowing down since the ol grand master B days.

Don't forget some oldie butr goodie, Lets see, Happy Feet, Speedy Gonzales, I recall at the beginning as The Tailbacker on RC Online.

I strat the cataract preps this week in my right eye. Will be an interesting spring.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:19 AM
tIANci

Is the RCU we are using at the moment NEW? I did not notice. I think RCU has slowed down compared to like 3 years ago. Back then the ARF thread was really moving. Maybe its seasonal, even other big forums have slowed down a bit. Still this place is fun to hang out in.

As for flaming, well one is born each minute, guess some people are just plain down right rude. I have even seen a Moderator making accusations against a forumer, labelling them as cheats/frauds. What can we say other than to ignore them. If such moderators are not chastised openly then how will forumers behave in a civil manner?

CH - so looks like you will be spending more time with the sim after your op ... at least you have the sim and RCU to kill time with. Speedy recovery ok!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:54 AM
vicman

I strat the cataract preps this week in my right eye. Will be an interesting spring.
I hope it helps your spelling...LOL, I couldn't help it.[sm=bananahead.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 12-26-2007, 10:46 AM
tIANci

ORIGINAL: vicman

I hope it helps your spelling...LOL, I couldn't help it.[sm=bananahead.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]
Vic - CH needs the op ok! Heheheehe ...
Old 12-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

... but I miss the old rcu before the merger...

Me too.

The "flame threads" are no problem; in fact, sometimes I jump right in.

What _I_ miss is the ad-free browsing, without any of those SUPER-annoying flashing ads (Gawd, I HATE those things!) and ads crammed into every available free space on the screen.

Several of the firearms forums I frequent are like RCU used to be; just a regular forum with a swap shop. I am relaxed there; I come here, and immediately get a headache from all the color, busy arrangement, and flashing crap designed to attract one's attention. All it does to me is p@$$ me off. News flash for you folks with the flashing ads... I wouldn't buy your product, regardless of whether I needed it or not, BECAUSE of those flashing ads.

You've been upsetting yourself unnecessarily. Banner ads have been optional for a very long time: at the top of the page click MY ACCOUNT and scroll down to "See Banner Ads - No Banner Ads / Show Banner Ads". Now RCU is awesome again

Regarding some of the other comments and thoughts, we work hard to make sure every member on RCU gets the experience they're after and have gone through great extents to make it happen. If you don't like how something works on RCU, start browsing through the website for a way to change it, there is a good chance you'll be able to.

If you don't like someone who appears to flame and troll, do what Mike suggests and click the REPORT link in the post. We don't like it either, but we don't always catch it. If that person really annoys you, put them on your IGNORE LIST and you'll never have to bother with their posts again.

Does the size of RCU bother you? Use MY FORUMS to customize how RCU looks and behaves for you. There's a lot of stuff out there we've designed to keep RCU personal. Of course the more members RCU has the more likely there will be personality conflicts and people without online etiquette. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast and we do our best to control it and keep things fun and community like.

And there's still plenty of community on RCU. As mentioned, 1/2a is a tight community. Jets, Warbirds, Pattern, 3D, etc. There are several niches on RCU that many people have come to 'know' one another. RCU is big, sure... but many areas of it still have a community feel to it I believe. Compare RCU to your flying club. The smaller it is, the less opportunity for tension and that everyone will be friends. As soon as the club starts to grow and different kinds of people and flying is introduced, the greater the likelihood conflicts will arise. Hopefully the board members of the club keep things in check, but ultimately it's up to the people to be civil and respect each other. Same goes on RCU, though it appears much more difficult to be civil online than in person.

And one final thing here, if there's something about RCU that just isn't working for you, that you don't like or that you would like to see changed... let us know and we'll do what we can to serve you. The decisions made about RCU are still very much influenced by the suggestions of the members.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:57 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To add to what Nathan said, here is the "Suggestions" forum where you can post a suggested change:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_47/tt.htm

And a "Problems" forum for things that aren't working properly or if you have a question as to how to make an RCU feature work properly (Not for problems with other members )

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_239/tt.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.